Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 17-07-2008, 18:38   #61
ascender
Trusted User

I'm tempted to switch to those Neo drawers instead of the Case Logic wallets I've got. They look like an even better solution, although I have to say that ditching the cases of most of my CDs and DVDs has been a fantastic move that I've not regretted at all.

I'd also love to be able to rip everything I own to a media server, but I just don't think the affordable storage is quite there yet. Once 2 - 5TB disks are cheap as chips and you can buy a couple to put in a mirrored set for example, then I think I might attempt it.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 09:43   #62
Guest 483
Trusted User

I am due to move to a new flat soon and am very tempted by these DJ boxes. I have been buying DVDs since 1999 but don't even have full access to them anymore, since the majority are still stored at my parents' house due to space. My only concern is the pockets that are used to store the discs in the DJ case - isn't there a chance that the discs could get scratched or damaged in this sort of storage? It just doesn't seem as sturdy as a DVD case.

I knew someone at university a few years ago who had a storage case where each of the discs were mounted on a hard plastic backing - kind of like the back of a slimline CD case for each, but with slightly stronger 'teeth' to keep the discs in place. It wasn't quite as space-saving as the DJ case, but it seemed like a more reassuring compromise. Does anyone know of anything like this? (Or could convince me that the DJ case is fine to use?)

Last edited by DavidMcGowan; 18-07-2008 at 09:45.
Guest 483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 09:53   #63
douglasb
Suedehead.

What would your level of tolerance be? If you have a 1000 discs and you discovered a dozen got scratched (and it's only likely to be very, very light surface damage - not anything that would affect playback) would that be acceptable? Or every 10 in a 100?

I'm increasingly less precious about everyday media. I would favour convenience over the fact that I might (might) have to replace the occasional disc (at, what £3 a pop?)

Wouldn't you rather have access to all your discs rather than worry about the occasional scratch?
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 13:20   #64
Guest 483
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
What would your level of tolerance be?
I am concerned that this question might reveal all sorts of compulsive behaviour on my part.

I have to admit that my level of tolerance for disc scratches is fairly low. I have always been quite precise about storing the DVD cases properly, and have been a bit wary of lending out discs to people in case they were returned damaged. In the few cases where I have bought scratched discs, there is a part of me that is constantly checking for playback problems, rather than just enjoying whatever it is I am watching. (Reading this back makes me think that just buying these DJ cases would probably be quite a good thing to force myself to loosen up! )

I do agree that the cost of replacing discs that might potentially get damaged is surely much lower than the lost value of having all of these discs sitting unused somewhere else, so I'm definitely tempted towards this option. I just wonder if anyone has any other compromise suggestions? I am happy to take the discs out of their original boxes and have them stored in a filing system like the stackable drawers posted by Deaks. However, I would sacrifice a bit of extra space if it meant I could find a solution that protected the discs a bit better.
Guest 483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 14:05   #65
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

That Neo drawer system gets a bad review on amazon... Amazon UK

...I was pretty much sold on it too

Last edited by Alan b; 18-07-2008 at 18:04. Reason: please affiliate these links where applicable
HenryKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 22:16   #66
Guest 14814
Trusted User

These Arkive5:1 sleeves are excellent as you can buy them for single disks or 2-disk sets and they store the artwork sleeve also.
The website is here:-

http://www.musicway.com.au/catalogue...xec.asp?bid=38

I bought these from a store in Australia (JB Hifi) but can't find any retailers in the UK that sell them unfortunately
Guest 14814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 23:00   #67
Guest 64549

Perhaps one should move home to, say, Buck House?
Guest 64549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 23:22   #68
Captain_Howdy666
Made of 100% pure awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
That Neo drawer system gets a bad review on amazon... Amazon UK

...I was pretty much sold on it too
I haven't had any problems with the three I have. I would ignore that review as he complains about the sleeves splitting, which he probably did himself when trying to get the booklets in. The sleeves are only designed to house the discs and nothing else.
Old 19-07-2008, 09:13   #69
Wooglie
Rurouni

I haven't had those problems either, but I wouldn't put any sleeves in with the DVDs as Captain says. I did split one, but that was me being careless.

Last edited by Wooglie; 19-07-2008 at 09:18.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 14:00   #70
Moldiver
Contributor/Reviews

Agree with the two posts above. I have one of the neomedia cases and think it's excellent. You'd have to be a bit stupid to try and get anything else in the sleeves aside from the disc itself. I'm currently waiting for a chap to get more in stock on e-bay. He tells me though that they're a bit delayed as there was a manufacturing problem recently.
Old 19-07-2008, 18:05   #71
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldiver View Post
Agree with the two posts above. I have one of the neomedia cases and think it's excellent. You'd have to be a bit stupid to try and get anything else in the sleeves aside from the disc itself. I'm currently waiting for a chap to get more in stock on e-bay. He tells me though that they're a bit delayed as there was a manufacturing problem recently.
What sort of price are they on ebay?
Old 20-07-2008, 20:48   #72
Moldiver
Contributor/Reviews

About £30-odd, closer to £40 with P&P

Last edited by Moldiver; 20-07-2008 at 20:48.
Moldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 21:29   #73
Deaks
Not a movie snob!

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...e=MD-NEOST-400

Don't forget this link I posted earlier, £22 plus shipping.
Deaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 04:21   #74
Moldiver
Contributor/Reviews

nice one, ta.
Old 22-07-2008, 09:51   #75
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Deaks, are you still putting the sleeves into A4 folders? If so, is it working out OK?

Cheers.
ralph wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 09:58   #76
Deaks
Not a movie snob!

Yep, the only problem is finding folders with four rings to support the weight. Each folder has 50 clear sleeves allowing for two covers, plus I put any booklets or inserts in. Snapper covers work too but not too many in each folder as they're that much thicker and heavier. So that's 100 DVD covers in each folder.

They're not in any particular order, except the order the disks were filed, and movies were catalogued in DVDProfiler. They're good for browsing but to actually find anything I use the PDA version of the software.
Old 22-07-2008, 12:23   #77
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Thanks for that Deaks. The PDA isn't an option for me, but I may be able to store the sleeves alphabetically & number them to link to the discs. Gonna need a lot of ring binders!
ralph wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 12:38   #78
Guest 65023
Trusted User

I've started putting some of my son's dvds into plastic wallets and throwing away the boxes (he's only 5, he doesn't care). I've freed up so much shelf space it's ridiculous.

Just earmarked some disks from my own collection too. Nearly provided an extra shelf of space.
Guest 65023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 14:04   #79
Deaks
Not a movie snob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
Thanks for that Deaks. The PDA isn't an option for me, but I may be able to store the sleeves alphabetically & number them to link to the discs. Gonna need a lot of ring binders!
The problem I found with trying to get the folder to tie up with the disks is it's fine when you're putting away a large collection, but doesn't work when you start adding stuff as you purchase it later. It would be worth you thinking about picking up an old PDA of ebay just for use with DVDProfiler. You could get an old ipaq or asus for £30-£40. The PDA software allows for noting who you've lent stuff to and you can have all the covers listed along with synopsis.

I knew it was going to take me a long time to get everything stowed away so I bought a pile of matching ring-binders to cover what I had already, plus quite a few more. Good thing to as I can't get the same binder anymore.
Old 22-07-2008, 14:19   #80
cervaro
Still here, for now!

I rid myself of nearly every DVD box over a year ago, bar the special stuff, limited editions, etc. Hadn't really considered the PDA option of DVD Profiler to be honest, even though I've got the PC version already. Could allow me to dump all the old covers into the recycling box and stick everything in a digital format to save even more space. That would please the missus as she keeps complaining about the boxes of covers in the conservatory!
cervaro is offline   Reply With Quote