Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 22:55   #1
ASH
Slave to my dogs :)

Torchwood - a Doctor Who spinoff series - thread 2 -(Contains spoilers)

OK - I've just watched the last 2. I thought that the 1941 episode was, in the context of the series, quite well done and whilst historically possibly inaccurate in showing two men kissing in public was done with taste and sensitivity.

The awful thing is that I am hooked on the series - I await each episode with baited breath waiting for the next "oh my god he can't have meant that seriously" moment.

Last edited by ASH; 03-01-2007 at 17:58.
ASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 00:25   #2
Richie
Trusted User

Well, I stopped watching many weeks ago as I couldn't take the torture but caught the final 2 on repeat tonight. I didn't think my opinion of this crap could get any lower but well done BBC you've succeeded admirably in producing quite possibly the worst 'genre' series so far this decade (and I've previously forced myself to sit through 'Afterlife', 'Hex' and 'Threshold')!

Last edited by Richie; 03-01-2007 at 00:28.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 00:49   #3
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Hex season 1 was quite good, series 2 although drawn out was LOADS better than the whole of TW. The problem is now Torchwood story is going to be in Dr who.

As it was Dr who spin off it has very loyal following and lots of seem to have their "blinkers" on when it comes to the quality of the show. Everyone likes different things but reading some of the messages you can see how fanboyish they are.

I wish the writers would put effort into the stories and writing and not push the view, everyone in the world is bi

Last edited by fivebyfive; 03-01-2007 at 00:52.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:20   #4
Hex
Chemical Member

Threshold was ok, though i'm not surprised it got cancelled, sort of suffered the same problem as torchwood in that it didn't live up to the potential of it's central idea, though i reckon it got closer. Last episode brought up some interesting ideas on how things may have progressed.
I watched the first season of Hex and thought that aside from the odd bit of casual nudity nothing happened to grab my attention, couldn't be bothered to give the second season much of a chance beyond the odd couple of episodes. Never even been able to sit through an episode of Afterlife.

Trouble with Torchwood is that the central idea sounds fairly cool, and they should be able to make a decent show out of it. It's just that they have been failing miserably to do so.

Maybe it's because i was labouring under the impression that it was going to be kind of like the Dalek episode of Who with the mad collector - i.e. loads of cool alien kit to figure out, people going out to look for others and sorting out various problems caused by alien technology/aliens. Possibly even a R&D division to figure out how things work and keeping the place funded using the odd patent etc.

The writers seem to think it's all about a character driven drama were the whole aliens/rift thing is simply a tool to put the characters in different situations.

Trouble is what we have ended up with is the ******* child of both approaches that has included the worst parts of each.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:27   #5
Richie
Trusted User

A character driven drama would've been fine (and was the kind of show I was expecting when this was hyped with the 'adult tv' tag) but for that to work you need actual characters, not lame ciphers who do random nonsensical things to fit the weak plot.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:33   #6
Hex
Chemical Member

A character driven drama would've been fine (and was the kind of show I was expecting when this was hyped with the 'adult tv' tag) but for that to work you need actual characters, not lame ciphers who do random nonsensical things to fit the weak plot.

That's what i mean, when they do go through some sort of trial and you are meant to relate to them and get involved it doesn't work because you either don't care about them or actively dislike them. When it does go the more technical 'hard Sci-Fi' route what they do to resolve the situation is so poorly thought out and written it's just nonsensical most of the time.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:06   #7
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie
Well, I stopped watching many weeks ago as I couldn't take the torture but caught the final 2 on repeat tonight. I didn't think my opinion of this crap could get any lower but well done BBC you've succeeded admirably in producing quite possibly the worst 'genre' series so far this decade (and I've previously forced myself to sit through 'Afterlife', 'Hex' and 'Threshold')!
I dropped it 10 minutes into episode two, and seeing this thread makes me glad.

It is a shame as the central idea does have potential, if you want to see that potential read Planetary by Warren Ellis which is clearly where Torchwood steals its ideas from, albeit in a REALLY bad way...

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:23   #8
Guest 320
Trusted User

i'm grateful for the cyber woman episode which will go down in the annals of tv history as some of the most excruciating tv to grace the airwaves.
Guest 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06   #9
Guest 47866
Statue for Healy

stuck it through to the end of series 1 but don't think i'll be sticking around for series 2. It started off so promising but quickly descended into farce and altho in places the finale did something to bring things back it didn't do enough for me. The ending was too convenient.
Guest 47866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:13   #10
BigH
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
I dropped it 10 minutes into episode two, and seeing this thread makes me glad.

It is a shame as the central idea does have potential, if you want to see that potential read Planetary by Warren Ellis which is clearly where Torchwood steals its ideas from, albeit in a REALLY bad way...
you lasted 10 minutes longer than me

there's so many good shows around at the moment (mostly US) that I just don't have the time/will to watch something like this
Old 03-01-2007, 10:57   #11
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,371 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH
you lasted 10 minutes longer than me
And me.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:39   #12
jpig
Trusted User

The question is thouhg, will RTD read the criticism and actively do something about it, or will he see the reasonably good viewing figures and think that what we want is more same sex snogging?!

It was rubbish, for me. And I really tried to like it. I watched the whole season, but only to laugh at it!
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:14   #13
BigH
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnapig
The question is thouhg, will RTD read the criticism and actively do something about it, or will he see the reasonably good viewing figures and think that what we want is more same sex snogging?!
I guess it depends which of the two sexes are doing the snogging
Old 03-01-2007, 12:39   #14
haxtond
Trusted User

I thought that Tourchwood got much better, fair play the cyberwoman episode was shockingly bad, but the last few were very good.
haxtond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 14:04   #15
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

(Could the OP rename this thread "Torchwood - a Doctor Who spinoff series - thread 2" or something similar so it obviously follows on from the closed thread? Thanks.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Adler
And then he buggered off thru the time rift leaving the real Jack to face the music back in 1941.

Wonder what happened next?
On a training flight the next day his own men shot him down and then blamed a surprise attack by Messerschmidts, lest they be tainted by the association with a blatantly out gay man. So Jack caused the death of the man whose name he took. The irony!
ajr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 14:49   #16
MK20

As sais by everyone else this was possibly the worst piece of TV in 2007 (which is saying something as it was shown on 01/01/2007).

Would have been interesting to compare Captain Jacks (the real one) history before and after they went back in time:

BEFORE: Captain Jack dies a hero when shot down by germans during an air fight.
AFTER: Captain Jack is dragged outside and beaten to death by his own men after being seem by them all kissing another guy.

And as for the supposedly evil beast at the end of the last episode, My Staypuft in Ghostbusters was more terrifying than that piece of pathetic CGI.
MK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 15:04   #17
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Unbelievably bad ending to what turned out to be an awful series. Didn't resolve any of the stuff of how Jack got back to Earth or how long it had been (and what the hell he was doing waaaaay back with that military unit that got snuffed by the fairies).

The overacting and histrionics of the rest of the cast reached ridiculous levels with Rape Monkey quite happily being a Murdering Rape Monkey (although that's OK coz Jack forgave him)

As for the resolution, did that make sense to anyone...?

I doubt I'll tune in to series 2 unless I hear the news that Chibnall and pretty much the whole cast have been replaced. I clung on in the vain hope that one or two of the episodes might live up to something but the entire thing has been a dire mess.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 18:23   #18
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce
As for the resolution, did that make sense to anyone...?
Was it just me or was it trying to portray the team as Jesus and his disciples?

Jack was the almost holy, all-forgiving figure who sacrificed himself for humanity, was resurrected, then taken to the heavens (God drives a TARDIS). Gwen like Mary Magdalene witnessed his resurrection with Rape Monkey taking the role of Judas.

Ianto, of course, played the role of Jesus's casual gay shag who only turned to the Brown side of the Force mere weeks after Jesus was instrumental in the murder of his girlfriend - a small historical detail not surprisingly left out of the overwhelmingly anti-gay scriptures.

In short, I'm glad it's all over.

Torchwood is a horrific vision where all of the main characters - bar the pitiful Toshiko - have very little or no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Between them they possess the scummiest moral values and puzzlingly obscene levels of deviancy that nobody of any sexual orientation can really relate to. There are no heroes here - even Jack Harkness, who we last saw heroically defending Earth against the Daleks was a morally ambiguous stranger who barely actually did anything.

In terms of story-telling throughout the season, the show was a complete disaster. We learned absolutely nothing of interest about Jack throughout the run, and the only character development arc was the nauseating - and totally unconvincing - shagathon between Rape Monkey and Gwen.

It's an adult sci-fi show that is neither adult, nor really sci-fi, and I only watch for two reasons. Firstly because it's related to Doctor Who, and secondly because it's so completely woeful that I get a perverse pleasure out of sniggering at the Torchwood team's catalogue of incompetent boobery and the writers' inherent inability to craft any kind of decent narrative.

I hope to God that BBC Wales keep their remedial special needs team on Torchwood, well away from Doctor Who - although the appearance of the creatively hobbled Chris Chibnall in the writing credits for Who S3 indicates otherwise

Last edited by Grandmaster; 03-01-2007 at 18:24.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 19:25   #19
Guest 56982
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster
Was it just me or was it trying to portray the team as Jesus and his disciples?

Jack was the almost holy, all-forgiving figure who sacrificed himself for humanity, was resurrected, then taken to the heavens (God drives a TARDIS). Gwen like Mary Magdalene witnessed his resurrection with Rape Monkey taking the role of Judas.

Ianto, of course, played the role of Jesus's casual gay shag who only turned to the Brown side of the Force mere weeks after Jesus was instrumental in the murder of his girlfriend - a small historical detail not surprisingly left out of the overwhelmingly anti-gay scriptures.

In short, I'm glad it's all over.

Torchwood is a horrific vision where all of the main characters - bar the pitiful Toshiko - have very little or no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Between them they possess the scummiest moral values and puzzlingly obscene levels of deviancy that nobody of any sexual orientation can really relate to. There are no heroes here - even Jack Harkness, who we last saw heroically defending Earth against the Daleks was a morally ambiguous stranger who barely actually did anything.

In terms of story-telling throughout the season, the show was a complete disaster. We learned absolutely nothing of interest about Jack throughout the run, and the only character development arc was the nauseating - and totally unconvincing - shagathon between Rape Monkey and Gwen.

It's an adult sci-fi show that is neither adult, nor really sci-fi, and I only watch for two reasons. Firstly because it's related to Doctor Who, and secondly because it's so completely woeful that I get a perverse pleasure out of sniggering at the Torchwood team's catalogue of incompetent boobery and the writers' inherent inability to craft any kind of decent narrative.

I hope to God that BBC Wales keep their remedial special needs team on Torchwood, well away from Doctor Who - although the appearance of the creatively hobbled Chris Chibnall in the writing credits for Who S3 indicates otherwise
Well said!
Guest 56982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 19:33   #20
Vulcan101
More DVD's please

Absolutely right on every point.
Vulcan101 is offline   Reply With Quote