Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 30-08-2006, 16:29   #1
Xenomorph
BUILDING BETTER WORLDS

Justice - New show on FOX - Jack Bristow's Back!

New Jerry Bruckheimer lawyer show. Looks fun from the trailers but regardless its got Victor Garber in it!

Premieres in the US tonight.
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 17:21   #2
Xenomorph
BUILDING BETTER WORLDS

Quite enjoyed this... I especially like the kicker at then end...

Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:52   #3
losimagic
Full Time Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph
Quite enjoyed this... I especially like the kicker at then end...

yes, I thought that was fantastic
losimagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:40   #4
Dan
Passed away :(

Interesting show.

I wonder over what time period was the trial?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:47   #5
Padwah
Fuelled By Alcohol

Quite enjoyed this wasnt sure if the bit at the end was supposed to be exactly how it happened or whether it was just an enactment of how they thought it happened.
Padwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:38   #6
Guest 4542
XBLive: foostymile

It was ok - I mean, it really is "CSI: High Priced Lawyers" but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. I think the characters need a bit more time to get to like them - Garber is brilliant in this but we need more time to love to hate to love him, if you see what i mean. The others at the moment are all a bit...well, drab. But its only the first episode. And if you're looking for drab lawyer characters, watch "Shark".

Still, an interesting wee show thats up against some stiff competition in the US so we'll see how long it lasts. Just cos it's a Bruckheimer show doesn't mean it's guaranteed to run and run....
Guest 4542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 21:09   #7
BigH
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockbongo
It was ok - I mean, it really is "CSI: High Priced Lawyers" but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. I think the characters need a bit more time to get to like them - Garber is brilliant in this but we need more time to love to hate to love him, if you see what i mean. The others at the moment are all a bit...well, drab. But its only the first episode. And if you're looking for drab lawyer characters, watch "Shark".

Still, an interesting wee show thats up against some stiff competition in the US so we'll see how long it lasts. Just cos it's a Bruckheimer show doesn't mean it's guaranteed to run and run....

it was OK - but Victor's hair colour kept worrying me

not a bad show, but will probably be 'eaten' by other new shows
Old 01-09-2006, 22:10   #8
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Slick, well-made & entertaining, with Garber being the stand-out in an otherwise average cast. I hope the "what really happened" section is an integral part of the show. It worked well with the short-lived Barry Levinson show, "The Jury".
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 22:47   #9
Richie
Trusted User

It was "okay". I wanted to like it more than I did. It's yet another show that uses lots of pointless flashy camera tricks to keep everything really eXcItiNg in what was a really rather straight-forward courtroom drama with frankly zero tension as there was no depth to anything except the pool the woman died in!

The characters are unfortunately all non-existent cyphers, including Victor Garber's, whose main characteristic seems to be to SHOUT every line of dialogue so we know he's passionate dammit! His character also seemed remarkably un-savvy for such a high-profile attorney but that of course is for the dumb-dumb audiences' benefit 'cause obviously we need every little thing spelling out for us coz we iz all fick!

The weakest member of the cast is (surprise surprise) Kerr Smith, who still looks about 12 even though he's 34! He had all the meaty bits of the trial in this first episode but still came off like stroppy Jack in Dawson's Creek, all doe eyed and wimpy. Actually the casting of this show is pretty awful across the board and I think that's what is going to make this sink ultimately.

It was "entertaining" enough in a vacuous-pretending-to-be-smart way but when there are really superior legal dramas on the air like "Boston Legal" (with it's wonderful characters and intricate cases) this just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

I'd watch it again but it's definately the supermarket own brand of legal dramas!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 23:26   #10
Richie
Trusted User

Oh and also as a coda of my own...

I add that as evidence that the show is really all flash and no substance and rather poorly researched.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:18   #11
Guest 2241
Trusted User

No need for spoilers

Didn't think much of it, it looks basically a remake of The Jury from two years ago. That was cancelled and was more interesting than the first episode.

I can't see how it's going to get better. Are they just going to do a case a week? If so I think they're going to have trouble. The first case was hardly riveting and the format doesn't really allow much room for improvement
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 19:15   #12
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
I have to agree 100% with Richie. First 5-10 mins it was quite cool and exciting but then it starts to get all flashy, pop promo, burn your eyes, fry your brain type editing (which i like) but i felt it detracted from the story too much. Perhaps i am a thick git but legal stuff can go way over my head at times and i could have done without the uber-slick visuals glossing over important evidence, case details and plot points.

Ultimately though i think the visual style impeded on the characters, i really couldn't care less come the end wether they found him guilty or not. Everything seemed to take itself too seriously.

Criminal law and music video aesthetics just don't seem like good bedfellows to me. Will watch a few more eps but so far, along with Vanished, it's not must see TV for me.
Old 02-09-2006, 19:38   #13
Guest 3627
GamerTag: Caygs

Just can't see this having the legs to run, very same-same as other courtroom dramas. And as said, the actual case was so dull. I would not be surprised if this gets taken out back and shot after 5 or 6 episodes.
Guest 3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 20:15   #14
robzinski
Not on the list

Really enjoyed what I saw of 'The Jury' a couple of years back, and enjoyed this too.

Thought Kerr Smith did a decent job as his 'Mr Nice' lawyer.

I have to say though, the woman lawyers eyes about halfway through went 'super-blue' which I thought looked amazing. Distracted me for a fair few minutes they did.
robzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 13:09   #15
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Watched the 2nd episode, about on par with the first. I love how cynical it is regarding how you can manipulate the US Justice system. Still trying to cope with seeing Jack Bristow smile all the time though.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 21:49   #16
36Degrees
Njósnavélin

Saw the second episode (didn't catch the first) - it's good, that law firm must have $100million to spend on monitors/tfts.

The theme tune is annoying though.
36Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 17:57   #17
Dan

Interesting twist at the end of the third episode.
Old 15-09-2006, 18:55   #18
robzinski
Not on the list

Not as good as the first two, but a decent ep none the less.
Old 28-09-2006, 14:54   #19
robzinski
Not on the list

Old 28-09-2006, 19:02   #20
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzinski