Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 29-01-2009, 07:22   #261
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Thought it was a good one last night, not sure why it was differrent to the scheduled one though (maybe a last minute update to be tacked on?).

I do like the conserving of old properties and thought they did a good job albeit a bit picky on some of the interior finishes, although they did do it all pretty much within budget 5-10% over which isn't bad considering that Kevin thought they would need double that!

Did anyone catch the bit where 1 of the blinds didn't go up at the end when he was using the remote

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:06   #262
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Those people must have been absolutely loaded. Once they moved to Bath and were living in that (posh) flat, were they actually working at all? And 10-15% over a £400k budget? Yeah right! Still fair play to them if you have the means to create a home like that.

The overall result looked good, but the problem is that the original building wasn't that particularly attractive to begin with IMHO.

And yes, I noticed the dodgy blind too.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:46   #263
farmroad38
Ho hum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge View Post
Did anyone catch the bit where 1 of the blinds didn't go up at the end when he was using the remote
Yes, I noticed that too!
farmroad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 09:00   #264
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
Those people must have been absolutely loaded. Once they moved to Bath and were living in that (posh) flat, were they actually working at all? And 10-15% over a £400k budget? Yeah right! Still fair play to them if you have the means to create a home like that.

The overall result looked good, but the problem is that the original building wasn't that particularly attractive to begin with IMHO.

And yes, I noticed the dodgy blind too.
The wife and I sat there wondering where they got there money from too.
I thought the project just went a bit to smooth for entertaing TV as it become clear that money was not a hinderance here and they could afford most of the problems that were thrown at them, and there was just no danger of it not being completed.

Have to say we were also not that impressed with the finished house, but then again we both prefer our house/homes to look homely. Last night reminded me to much of one of our customers studios, even down to the automatic blinds - which all work

The wife and I have a side bet on each series for how many times Kevin McSmug says "bespoke" or "integrity".
Im in the bespoke camp (3 times last night so a 3-0 lead for me this series so far), but I have to say IMO the house last night really need a bit of integrity.

Last edited by new; 29-01-2009 at 09:01.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 09:06   #265
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Why did they bother spending all that money on restoring the barn when the end result looked like a new build anyway? Plus a glass walled toilet is a fantasticly dumb idea.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 09:20   #266
cedge

I don't think it looked like a new build as they used as much as they could of the original building material, completely un-uniformed (sp?) looking which is a plus in my book i.e. unique looking rather than a new build box!

That's what let it down the show last night a bit - a problem emerged, they just ploughed the money from the unlimited pot of money to fix it. They said at the start that he was in marketing I think but if they had a flat in London then they probably would have seen its value skyrocket over the last few years.

Another mistake I spotted, when the show started the first date stamp said September 2008 so I immediately assumed the building wouldn't be finished by the end of the show, then the next date that popped up was March 2007 I think

Old 29-01-2009, 10:08   #267
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Wasn't massively impressed with the end results either - and the wife spotted the knackered blind too

First thing she said was 'where are all the kids toys?!' How many of us here would class our homes as 'living areas? I live in a house!
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:13   #268
Guest 43206
Isn't it?

We thought they're made of money, they could have built from scratch using similar materials for less and thought the concrete floor was a hazard with a child around. It did look like a visitors centre too.

As always, Kevin was doubtful and then liked it. Rarely does he seem to not like something at the end of it.
Guest 43206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:18   #269
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Another mistake I spotted, when the show started the first date stamp said September 2008 so I immediately assumed the building wouldn't be finished by the end of the show, then the next date that popped up was March 2007 I think
the first build date was 2006.

I thought it was OK but there was the nagging question about how are they getting their money. I can only presume they won the lotto but didn't want to say or something like that as they never at all seemed bothered about the cost or any of the problems including £65k for a ******* bat house.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:32   #270
DVDWotcha
OneSock

Quote:
Another mistake I spotted, when the show started the first date stamp said September 2008
Nah it said 2006.

Anyway. I thought it was done quite nicely. I do like the contemporary minimalist looks. Wife loved the kitchen. Can't help think it's going to feel damn cold in the winter though with all that glass. Even if it's energy efficient your going to be looking out the cold and wet all the time.

However, you have to wonder about the logic of the "restoration" of such a worthless building. The final layout was a somewhat daft IMO. Especially with the window looking into the guest bedroom .

I mean really it should have been levelled and then rebuilt "greenfield". Would have saved a lot of money and they could have rebuilt with a much better layout.

Sod the grade 2 listing it should have been allowed to fall down (or given a small helping hand (who needs to know eh?)). One of the contractors could have "accidentally" given it a nudge with a pile driver and bingo, problem solved.
DVDWotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:35   #271
cedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69 View Post
the first build date was 2006.

I thought it was OK but there was the nagging question about how are they getting their money. I can only presume they won the lotto but didn't want to say or something like that as they never at all seemed bothered about the cost or any of the problems including £65k for a ******* bat house.

I think it was £27k for the bat house but still

Old 29-01-2009, 10:41   #272
KennyVader
Insomniac

Can't believe they paid £400,000 for that pile of rubble in the first place. I'm sure there are far better plots/views/locations/collapsed buildings available for that kind of money.

Whichever fashion chain she's "sales manager" for and whichever mobile network he's "marketing consultant" for must both be doing very well as I thought they were the epitome of Grand Designs "more money than sense" couples. "came in on budget" my arse, notice that they never gave any actual numbers, and the bloke was shifty as hell at the end ... the only way they "came in on budget" was because the budget was limitless.

End result looked stupid to me. I'm very much in favour of preserving or restoring old buildings but when you re-do 99% of it to look brand new (yes I know they used the original stones but it still looked far too new) leaving just one or two token old beams sticking out in your face, what's the point. Might as well have just knocked it down and used the flexibility to build something really new/beautiful/inspiring.

Much prefer ones like the water tank or the water pumping station where the end result still resembles the building or structure it always was. These two jokers had almost completely sanitised their building of any of it's past.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:55   #273
Guest 26778
Idiot Baiter

Thought it was a very odd place. My thoughts were that the end result was more like an architect's office than anything else! The window into the spare bedroom was horrific, their bathroom was ridiculous, and it really didn't come across as a family home in any way, shape or form.

Bit of a waste of money in my opinion. McCloud just seemed totally over-awed by the fact they'd renovated a listed building. I think they were a bit clueless to be honest...
Guest 26778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:57   #274
cedge

Definately agree, the waterworks in my mind is one of the best grand designs purely because they did most of the work themselves, they had a tight budget and they enhanced/preserved the majority of the buildings structure/history.

Old 29-01-2009, 11:00   #275
FlangeMonkey
WHERE'S MY JEEELLLLY?

I thought it was horrid - and an awful episode in general.

This is the exact type of ep. I hate. Any episode that features people who appear to have a total nonchalance to money. Nothing was beyond them, or at any point appeared out of reach, therefore there were no real hindrances. Admittedly they did well bringing it in pretty much on budget, so at least it wasn't one of those ones where money just keeps getting chucked at any problem to make it go away (as has happened before), but still - the amount that it cost really didn't seem to have any impact on them. I much prefer a more modest project - so much more interesting seeing real problems being faced, and not just all about how perfect you can get the bits of wood looking that you shove in the "house".

The end result was abysmal too IMO. The old building looked so ugly and stark when all that glass and steel were shoe-horned in. I'm very surprised that the "conservation" people let them do half the things they did - the outside looked virtually brand new, and the mix of rough stone and industrial steel/glass/too-perfect-to-be-true wood just looked so over the top for a house that's actually going to be lived in by a family.

The whole thing just left me cold, to be fair...

Last edited by FlangeMonkey; 29-01-2009 at 11:02.
FlangeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 11:08   #276
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,046 Times in 519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
These two jokers had almost completely sanitised their building of any of it's past.
Well it's past was a boring looking industrial whatever (mill wasn't it?). They recreated that perfectly. It really was a visitors centre... even down to the child injuring metal stairs and dangerous glass handrail.

Do they in fact hate their child? The kid, firstly didn't have a deliberate cool room or any specific space allotted. All the furniture and fittings seem to be designed for the kid to hurt itself on. The couples bedroom was about a mile walk from any other bedroom. It had multiple doors in the way, one of which turns into a wall.. with a high handle. And before getting to that door the kid would have to cross a scary, high up (walk of faith) glass walkway...
Those people were just evil.

Last edited by scoobyood; 29-01-2009 at 11:10.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 11:27   #277
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Also notice how the child never wore a hard-hat when they were all on site
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 11:31   #278
KennyVader
Insomniac

Yep I immediately thought that they hated their child when they were showing that big "changes into a wall" door and the woman actually said something like "it completely seals off any child noise" then proceeded to fake-laugh when she realised how evil what she just said came over.

Poor kid!
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 11:32   #279
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Well it's past was a boring looking industrial whatever (mill wasn't it?). They recreated that perfectly. It really was a visitors centre... even down to the child injuring metal stairs and dangerous glass handrail.

Do they in fact hate their child? The kid, firstly didn't have a deliberate cool room or any specific space allotted. All the furniture and fittings seem to be designed for the kid to hurt itself on. The couples bedroom was about a mile walk from any other bedroom. It had multiple doors in the way, one of which turns into a wall.. with a high handle. And before getting to that door the kid would have to cross a scary, high up (walk of faith) glass walkway...
Those people were just evil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Also notice how the child never wore a hard-hat when they were all on site
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
Yep I immediately thought that they hated their child when they were showing that big "changes into a wall" door and the woman actually said something like "it completely seals off any child noise" then proceeded to fake-laugh when she realised how evil what she just said came over.

Poor kid!
there is a Daily Mail campaign in here somewhere. If this was on the BBC there would be national outrage
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 11:38   #280
DVDWotcha
OneSock

I just want to know how they routed all the wiring thought the concrete floors and stone walls. Must have been a bugger of a job and no room for errors/changes.
DVDWotcha is offline   Reply With Quote