Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 20-02-2008, 22:37   #221
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Tonight's truly was, IMHO, a grand design - a stunning house.

But the fact they stayed tight lipped about how much it costs makes me sure it cost a mint (£600k+ just on the plot and groundworks from what they said during the show). How did he afford that on a GP's salary
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 22:43   #222
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

We reckoned maybe family money. It was easily £1m+.....

I found her intensely annoying.
Old 20-02-2008, 22:47   #223
stu_69
prohibido

Amazing house it must have cost a ******* boat load of money.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 01:08   #224
Guest 46034
Banned

The houses seem to be getting better. This and last weeks were excellent.
Guest 46034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 07:44   #225
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Agree it was stunning, but how much . Wouldn't have been too happy building on that plot with all the piles holding up the hill looming behind with water running down them! I wonder whether they still had a good relationship with their neighbour

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Last edited by cedge; 21-02-2008 at 07:44.
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 09:19   #226
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmn78 View Post
The houses seem to be getting better. This and last weeks were excellent.
I missed the start of the show but the OH said that last night's was the last "new" episode. From now on (this series) they're all "revisits" shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge View Post
I wonder whether they still had a good relationship with their neighbour
The whole wall thing was completely to me. It was the neighbour's wall, the Grand Designs couple didn't cause it to collapse so why did it take so long for the neighbour's insurance co to admit liability ?

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 21-02-2008 at 09:20.
Old 21-02-2008, 09:24   #227
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

I suppose you could argue that their drilling of 60 piles nearby might not have done the wall much good, loosened the earth in the area etc. Quite surprised that the neighbours insurance company stumped up the cash.

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Last edited by cedge; 21-02-2008 at 09:24.
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 09:30   #228
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge View Post
I suppose you could argue that their drilling of 60 piles nearby might not have done the wall much good, loosened the earth in the area etc.
True, but IIRC they were only about 2/3 piles in when the bad weather hit.
Old 21-02-2008, 10:06   #229
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
True, but IIRC they were only about 2/3 piles in when the bad weather hit.
I was surprised the neighbours insurance paid out as it was quite obvious the work they did caused the wall to collapse (along with the weather). The wall must have been there for 60 years and hadn't fallen down.

At one stage I thought they would come and the neighbours house would have slid down the hill.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:11   #230
Guest 1924

I too was suprised that the neighbours insurance paid out on this. Blatently obvious it was the piles/work to blame... Did you see the amount of water running down the piles?

Going to put the neighbours premiums up no?
Guest 1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 12:19   #231
KennyVader
Insomniac

It was certainly a nice house but I couldn't see why they spent so much building it there. He did mention that the views from the top floor were stunning but then didn't really show anything that I'd call stunning, not compared to the views that some of the other places in earlier shows have had, like that house on it's own on the loch in Scotland. All that house seemed to be able to view were the tops of a lot of trees in a fairly densely residentially populated valley. Given that the house was prefabbed and could have been put up almost anywhere, rather than spend all that money on the earthworks I think I'd have put it somewhere else with an even better view.

Probably wasn't much of a view left for their neighbours up above (whose garden they trashed) who will now have to look down on all their solar panels and other household crap.

I liked the polished pink plaster walls though. Hope they sort out whatever the problem with the stone is or find some other quarry to supply it. Bet the quarry has whacked the price up when they've found out how finely cut they want the stone or something.

What was going on with Kevin's lopsided sideburns in the last walkaround . He had a massive furry effort on his right hand side and something far weedier on his left.

GPs are definitely paid too much!
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 00:02   #232
BlueDwarf
I MUST HEAR FIREWORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
The whole wall thing was completely to me. It was the neighbour's wall, the Grand Designs couple didn't cause it to collapse so why did it take so long for the neighbour's insurance co to admit liability ?
Did you miss the big hole that the couple dug? Think that *might* have had somthing to do with the wall collapsing.

If my premiums went up due to some donk neighbour's engineering mishaps, I damn well wouldn't be paying the difference.

Nice enough house, but it's hard to get excited about some off-the-shelf Lego kit being dumped in a hole.
BlueDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 02:39   #233
Guest 17980
One Hit Wonder

You can't beat German efficiency - that was amazing how quickly that house went up. Agree that as it was ultimately a pre-fab I could not get all that excited about it - the grandness of this particular design was the engineering required to put it on the side of a hill.
Guest 17980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 22:09   #234
Dodgy
Trusted User

What is this 'revisited' ******** that C4 keep on doing with Grand Designs and Relocation Relocation? Do they actually think they're kidding us? It's not even marked down in advance as a repeat, which effectively is what it is!

Dave.
Old 27-02-2008, 10:24   #235
Rabbi of Caerbannog
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearhorn View Post
You can't beat German efficiency - that was amazing how quickly that house went up. Agree that as it was ultimately a pre-fab I could not get all that excited about it - the grandness of this particular design was the engineering required to put it on the side of a hill.
Was this one of those Huff Houses. They did one of these in a previous series in Surrey. Made me laugh when they were left standing around waiting for a crane to turn up from down the road, when they had got every thing and every one over from Germany in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
What is this 'revisited' ******** that C4 keep on doing with Grand Designs and Relocation Relocation? Do they actually think they're kidding us? It's not even marked down in advance as a repeat, which effectively is what it is!

Dave.
Was wondering this the other night. Saw an ep of Relocation the other night about a couple wanting a place in France. I was expecting a little bit about the search and then the majority of the show on what they had done since. The whole show was just a complete repeat.

Stunning looking town / village where they bought though.
Rabbi of Caerbannog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 14:49   #236
DVDWotcha
OneSock

Yes I think that last house wasn't bad actually for a prefab. Although I think they were totally nuts building it on that site with the river running through it. The landslip was entirely their fault but they got lucky.

To be honest I think this last series has been a bit of a let down. The majority of the houses being prefab and gastly modern minimalist tat.

Really need to see something with a bit of character to it.
DVDWotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 18:05   #237
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi of Caerbannog View Post
Was this one of those Huff Houses. They did one of these in a previous series in Surrey. Made me laugh when they were left standing around waiting for a crane to turn up from down the road, when they had got every thing and every one over from Germany in time.
Don't think this one was from Huff but it was a very similar company.

The crane was there on time this time but they did remark on how the Germans had managed to make and deliver an entire house to them on schedule but the local quarry just down the road had totally failed to produce anything (for the stone cladding) and they were still waiting. However I suspect the quarry problem was more of a financial disagreement as they seemed quite cagey about it and also had taken all the scaff down so it obviously wasn't getting resolved any time soon.
Old 27-02-2008, 22:13   #238
Guest 38186
Trusted User

I know tonights was a Revisted one but that place was gorgeous. That couple had done a fantastic job on next to no money and it looked superb.
Guest 38186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 22:16   #239
KennyVader
Insomniac

I only saw the end (let's face it that's all that I needed to see since I saw the rest of it a year or two ago) but if I remember rightly the original programme made them out to be total chancers that didn't really know what they were doing. But I have got to say that that finished result was excellent. Well done to them.
Old 29-02-2008, 01:40   #240
FlangeMonkey
WHERE'S MY JEEELLLLY?

Indeed. I get intensely annoyed at many of the Grand Designers - they're in the main a vacuous bunch of self-important incredibly wealthy idiots that throw money at any given problem until it vanishes (for the most part). I regularly feel NO sympathy or empathy with any of them because of this, and instead get incredibly annoyed watching these people...

However last night's ep. (although it's been on before and I LOATHE these dreaded "revisited" eps.) I actually wanted to sit through in its entirety again.

The people involved were genuinely down to earth and intensely likeable. The project was completed almost entirely off their own bat due to their diligent hard work.

Very pleased for them