Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 31-12-2005, 15:47   #1
Guest 48381
A man & a brother

TV Vs Books

Just set the tape for the bleak houses in a row on BBC3 at a total of 3 hours, then thought, what the hell, I could probably read the book in about the same time. For some reason I much prefer a decent book to a decent film, makes a much bigger impact, but for time/laziness reasons I watch way more films-anything that looks even above average. Do most people find this to be the same? I know it's partially to do with the fact that you could watch 3 films in the time for an average book, but reading is generally considered a superior art form-wrongly IMO as films can do many things books can't. (Consider LOTR, star wars, general sci-fi stuff for example) while books are much more involving, mainly as your brain has to do more work.
I'm also of the opinion that plays at the theatre are just more boring and expensive versions of films, never really had as big an impact on me as film-though I guess that's for another thread.
Do you reckon its fair to compare television and books in this way?
Guest 48381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 16:09   #2
Richie
Trusted User

There are many ways to tell the same story, done correctly each form has it's own intrinsic virtues, values and unique techniques. I'm not sure one can be considered superior to the other, except by elitists (who have issues of their own)! The essentially visual medium of tv countered by the written word of the book. Each uses a totally different technique to communicate the same moment. For example, the communication of thought through internal monologue vs the voice-over, a simple look or expositional dialogue etc.

Last edited by Richie; 31-12-2005 at 16:09.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 16:34   #3
Harsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie
There are many ways to tell the same story, done correctly each form has it's own intrinsic virtues, values and unique techniques. I'm not sure one can be considered superior to the other, except by elitists (who have issues of their own)! The essentially visual medium of tv countered by the written word of the book. Each uses a totally different technique to communicate the same moment. For example, the communication of thought through internal monologue vs the voice-over, a simple look or expositional dialogue etc.
Exactly, no medium is automatically more worthy than another (lest we forget for a long time novels were looked down upon as the lowest form of art).

Last edited by Harsin; 31-12-2005 at 16:34.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 16:39   #4
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

also you can just have a tv show on the background, and pick up the gist, but with a book you have to concentrate more.

I've usually preferred the book than any movie adaptation, but there are loads of movie versions i love in their own way. for sci fi i'd prefer the film to the book for obvious reasons.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 16:47   #5
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminb
I'm also of the opinion that plays at the theatre are just more boring and expensive versions of films, never really had as big an impact on me as film-though I guess that's for another thread.
It's easy to be put off the theatre by seeing one that's a bit dull and plodding, however I've also seen many that have blown me away more than any film has. Theatre is a bit like foreign films, takes a while to get into the vibe, but once you have, nothing compares.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 17:39   #6
Guest 52699
Banned

definitely agree with the "no medium is automatically better", especially when it comes to Fight Club. Awesome film, crap book.
Guest 52699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 19:13   #7
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson
for sci fi i'd prefer the film to the book for obvious reasons.
For me it's the other way around. There is just so much substandard sci-fi produced for the cinema and for tv I much prefer it in the written form. There are plenty of excellant sci fi books written every years but very very rarely do i see anything of worth at the cinema that isn't just another action film with a sci-fi setting.

Last edited by Mevlock; 31-12-2005 at 19:20.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 19:50   #8
Guest 48381
A man & a brother

what recent sci-fi you liked mevlock? I read nothing but sci-fi when I was younger but having exhausted McGuin/Asimov/Dick/ I've been disappointed by most modern stuff-especially Pahluhniak
Guest 48381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 15:21   #9
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsin
(lest we forget for a long time novels were looked down upon as the lowest form of art).
When did this happen?!

I enjoy both books and TV for different reasons. A book allows you to become completely immersed in a story, letting you in on the thought processes behind characters actions, and with no limitations on budget, can tell a complete story the way it wants. A TV show allows for a much more visual experience, and if handled properly can be a lot more emotive than words on a page. They each have their pros and cons, and each can be open to interpretation in their own way.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 02-01-2006 at 15:23.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote