Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 01-05-2006, 10:56   #141
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I went to the bookshops today to see if the paperback version of A Feast For Crows was available, but I could only find it in a nasty large version that doesn't at all match up with the other paperbacks! It's pretty much the same size as the (fairly enormous) hardback.

Not impressed. I want a nice standard paperback size please.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 13:38   #142
Guest 25704
xboxlive : see jay dee

There will be a smaller sized paperback at some point. It's just with some popular books the release order goes: Hardback, trade paperback (the 'large' paperback), and then a or b format paperbacks.
Guest 25704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 17:35   #143
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

The first sample chapter from 'A Dance With Dragon's has been posted on GRRM's official site: http://www.georgerrmartin.com

The POV character

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 23-05-2006 at 17:35.
Old 24-05-2006, 09:04   #144
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

There's a sample chapter in the back of my hardcover of Feast of Crows. Its the second printing, but I assume it was in the first.

So that's another sample chapter, rather than the first, right?

J
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 09:07   #145
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Yep, different one.
Old 30-06-2006, 21:00   #146
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

George R. R. Martin has updated his online blog, with a couple of quite interesting tidbits: he hopes to have the next novel, A Dance With Dragons finished and out by the end of this year. Also, there is some big exciting news about A Song Of Ice & Fire coming up, that he will post soon on his official website.

My personal hope? It's an announcement for an HBO-produced TV series
Old 01-07-2006, 11:20   #147
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

that would be nice, but I doubt very much anyone would spend that kind of money on a fantasy series..
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 18:32   #148
ji
Just another member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist
The first sample chapter from 'A Dance With Dragon's has been posted on GRRM's official site: http://www.georgerrmartin.com

The POV character
Never quite understood the point of sample chapters. A bit like 'on next week's show' thingys on TV (which I also never watch.

I would rather have the whole meal in one sitting, than be given a taster, and then have to wait 2 years for the actual food!
Old 30-04-2007, 19:56   #149
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

I started Game of Thrones last night. The sheer size of the book is daunting. I have never read a book this big and to think its only the beginning of the series - yowzers!

I just finished reading Neuromancer, which was very atmospheric but couldnt help but feel I needed a degree in Literature to fully appreciate it, full on head mess. Reading GOT is like a walk in the park in comparison and has probably grabbed my attention more as a result of it. The first chapter was so well written and Im utterly hooked! I can't wait for my reading session tonight. I love the fact the chapters are in small manageable chuncks as Im not much of a reader.

I've been meaning to read this for a few years now, but I think it was the fact HBO picked this up which gave me the push.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:16   #150
roddy
Trusted User

You'll enjoy them - I reread the entire set to date recently - still incredible stuff, and you notice huge numbers of connections that just don't register first time round - basically any reference to anything at all will tie in somehow, there's not an ounce of fat anywhere on the books. Already knowing what happens didn't spoil the enjoyment either - just watching it all unfold was still great fun. The Tower of the Hand site is a fantastic companion, but watch out for spoilers.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:37   #151
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
there's not an ounce of fat anywhere on the books.
I'd argue that, theres a lot of padding, you get to the end of the book(s) and nothing much has moved on (of the grander story) , I do loke them and am looking forward to more but I wish he'd move the main story on a little faster.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:03   #152
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...

Ok given the recommendations here and reviews on Amazon coupled with my liking of this genre I've bitten the bullet and ordered all the books in the series so far from Amazon for a little under Ł30 all in.

Looking forward to launching into them!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:09   #153
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I felt the latest book in the series was a bit slow, but the first books in the series had very little padding in them. Having re-read the first one recently especially, just about everything in that is a reference to something that it going to be set up later.

At the moment I'm giving the author the benefit of the doubt, as book 4 was split in half from what was meant to be a much larger book, so the next part may give us a different view of the story's flow.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:15   #154
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

I'm currently re-reading the books (E-books at work, alt-tabbing whenever the Boss is not here ) .... The first two books are very tight, not a word is wasted but the third book, the beginnings of some excess writing that isn't really necessary starts to show.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:01   #155
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

I think the 4th book was a bit padtastic, and was the first one in the series where it felt a bit more of a chore to read. Granted, I was comparing that to the previous 3 which are amongst the best fantast I've ever read. Hopefully with book 5 things will get back on track especially since he is writing about

Who in the author's own words is his favourite character.
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:01   #156
avid fan
Trusted User

I’m not a big reader anyway (mainly sticking to sci-fi if anything) and particularly not of ‘fantasy’ per se (though I did get all the way through Lord of the Rings).

I got hold of The Game Of Thrones last week on a blind purchase and have been absolutely blown away to be honest.

Particularly love the characters, which seem to have so much greater depth than usual (particular favourites being Tyrion, Jon Snow and Littlefinger), and this when there are well over twenty or thirty distinct personalities.

Only problem is that I’ve spent every waking moment reading the book rather than doing anything else (including eating)!! – and I’ve already got A Clash of Kings ready and waiting.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:07   #157
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
Only problem is that I’ve spent every waking moment reading the book rather than doing anything else (including eating)!! – and I’ve already got A Clash of Kings ready and waiting.
I know the feeling.

I have restricted myself to one on one off with these books, reading a different book in between for a break. Otherwise I could see myself reading nothing but GRRM for the best part of 6 months (at the speed I read given the size of the books)

I am also similar to you in that I would rarely if ever read fantasy novels, and if it were not for recommendations on this forum I would never have picked up A Game of Thrones.

Last edited by Art Vanderlay; 08-05-2007 at 09:08.
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 08:48   #158
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...

Well I'm over halfway through the second book now and absolutely loving them, very difficult to put down!

Made my flight last week go very quickly and almost missed my train stop a few days ago as was so involved.
Old 20-06-2007, 14:39   #159
j0nn13
Trusted User

I love these books, but it really is getting frustrating waiting on the next installment
j0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 15:29   #160
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nn13 View Post
I love these books, but it really is getting frustrating waiting on the next installment
Half way through the second myself, and I am wondering whether to slow down so that I don't catch up and have to play the waiting game
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote