Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 24-10-2005, 19:11   #81
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

That's the next book in the series.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 14:18   #82
Guest 3786
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLaidlow
Okay then people, remembering that I'm trying to wait until near the end before I start reading, what is this?

A Dance with Dragons
He's split the fourth book into two parts as well. A Feast for Crows is concentrated on events round Kings Landing, and A Dance with Dragons will have all the Wall stuff and Daenerys. There's a page at the end of Feast that explains it all, hopefully Dance will be out next year (it should be as apparently it's all written).
Guest 3786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 16:54   #83
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I asked him today if he thinks the next book will be released next year, he said he still has more to write. Very nice guy.
Old 25-10-2005, 17:31   #84
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

That amazon listing says Jan 07...

J
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 17:46   #85
riz1
Trusted User

yeah but the amazon listing is only updated after the "expected" date has passed as was the case with the current book too...
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 12:19   #86
roar349
Trusted User

LHG, did you go to a Q&A? Saw him last night, was interesting but found that he was letting the same people ask questions over and over, rather than let someone else ask. I know how difficult public speaking can be, so this isn't an outright criticism, just something that was noticed (and noticable compared to Gemmell who I saw last month). It was a shame that Ottakars decided to do this upstairs by the coffee shop, every so often the fridge (at least I think it was the fridge) kicked in and you could hardly hear him. Very nice bloke though. Guess he told you the same thing about ADWD, about 500 pages in manuscript (expects it to be 1100 in manuscript).

Oh, and if anyone else is going to one of these, watch out for the prat who asks a question about the end of AFFC when no-one else in the room has read it
roar349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 17:18   #87
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

No, it was just at a small shop signing with no Q&A session. There were about 20 people there and I was near the front of the queue. I didn't really have anything planned to ask him when I saw him, so sort of blurted out the first thing that came to mind and asked if he thinks the next book will be ready for next year, and he said hopefully, there are about about another 500 pages to write. He also went into a little detail about how he split the book into different character sections. Sort of wish I had been further back so I could hear what other people asked him.

But yes, a very nice guy with a fantastic laugh. Everyone in the store was nice as well, a reporter who was a fan took some pictures for the local paper, and there were a surprising number of sexy young girls there

I can't believe someone asked a question about the ending of this book at your Q&A! Did he give any particularly interesting answers?

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 26-10-2005 at 17:20.
Old 28-10-2005, 13:08   #88
roar349
Trusted User

Very general stuff tbh, ie he finds Bran one of the most difficult to write(due to the characters age and magic), Tyrion is the easiest. How many started/unfinished books he has, why this book took so long (he got onto this from THAT question, think he was trying to direct the conversation away from it), how he still wants to write more SF and Horror. Of course Ottakars had stuffed it up even further, they said be there from 7 for a 7:30 start, I got there at 10 past to get my complimentary coffee in plenty of time, and he was already in full flow.
roar349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 14:14   #89
Guest 25356
Trusted User

based on a few of your recommendation I've picked up the first in the series A'A Game of Thrones' not really very into it, but must say some of the characters seem fantastically nasty. Am really looking forward to getting further in to it.
Guest 25356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 22:28   #90
stunno
Trusted User

I found the first one hard going until about half way. After that the series is incredible!
stunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 22:37   #91
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

VintageWhino, a small bit of advice which I think will help with reading through these books: take note of names and who is who and who is related, and assign a face to them as you read (ie, an actor), it will make the reading experience a lot easier for your first time!
Old 28-10-2005, 22:46   #92
riz1
Trusted User

good tip [i concur!]
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 10:18   #93
Guest 25356
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist
VintageWhino, a small bit of advice which I think will help with reading through these books: take note of names and who is who and who is related, and assign a face to them as you read (ie, an actor), it will make the reading experience a lot easier for your first time!

Lol, funnily enough, I was starting to fret over how to manage all the characters. Thanks for the idea. Will implement it as of today.
Guest 25356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:18   #94
roddy
Trusted User

Finally got my grubby little hands on A Feast For Crows, will be starting it today. Something tells me I won't get much done this weekend. . .

When's the next one due again?

Roddy
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 23:32   #95
Guest 912
Trusted User

Well I've just finished the first book in the series, "A Game of Thrones" and I loved it.

I used to read fantasy a lot when I was younger, but I've really been finding the fantasy genre a struggle over the last few years so I'd thought I'd just "grown out of it".

However this is fantastic and I can't wait to read the next volume! This is a totally different ballpark quality-wise to your generic Terry Goodkind / Robert Jordan bobbins...
Guest 912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:43   #96
roddy
Trusted User

Got through a fair chunk of this yesterday - seems to be starting fairly slow but you can see (or think you can see) where the big battles and showdowns are going to be coming from. I'm not enjoying it as much as I did the previous book, but it's been several months since I read that one and I'm spending a fair amount of time thinking things like 'Oh yeah, Sansa went there, didn't she', and 'Who's Balon again?'.

We're also getting a few new locations and characters to handle. Would strongly recommend you at least flick through the last few chapters of the previous book before tackling this one, would be easy to get lost.

Roddy
PS
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 10:20   #97
Harsin

Reading discussions of this book on other forums I can't believe how many things I missed, in particular...

If any book could have done with a recap at the beginning it was this one.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 10:30   #98
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

I'm too scared to begin the new book as it's been so long since I read the first three novels, that i've forgotten almost everything. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I read the inside jacket description & didn't recognise most the names mentioned!

The first solution was to d/load the audio book, but after listening to the first hour (the first novel is THIRTY-SIX hours in length!), I was again lost & couldn't keep up with the multitude of character names.

Hence, cunning plan no.2 is to read the eBooks of the first three novels, here at work. ... With all the spare-time I have here at the office, I should be able to average around 100 pages/day, alt-tabbing between my spreadsheets & the eBook.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 12:59   #99
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I am also re-reading the previous books before I start the new one, but a good way to catch up might be to visit http://www.towerofthehand.com/ which has chapter summaries plus an extensive encylopedia of the series. However, you will of course miss out on much of the subtleties of the story if you just read through there.
Old 14-11-2005, 13:30   #100
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist
...but a good way to catch up might be to visit http://www.towerofthehand.com/
Wow! ... That website is fantastic. ... I think i'll use that as well as re-read the previous books.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote