Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 15-08-2007, 16:27   #181
Guest 4288
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
There's an interview with the man himself available from itunes, free - not sure if it's available elsewhere for non iTunes readers. Started listening to it last night but fell asleep so I'm not sure if there's any Ice and Fire info.
Hopefully, he might give an indication as to what year we might see A Dance with Dragons released.

I'm not sure how usual it is, but reading his "this is not a blog" he does seem to flit between projects quite a bit. Which might also explain why A Feast of Crows isn't that good (in relation to the previous books, but as mentioned is still better than most fantasy).

Last edited by Claims Monkey; 15-08-2007 at 16:27.
Guest 4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 06:38   #182
roddy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claims Monkey View Post
Hopefully, he might give an indication as to what year we might see A Dance with Dragons released.

Amazon says . . . 6th October next year . . . bloody ages. Not sure to what extent Amazon's dates are to be trusted.

Last edited by roddy; 15-12-2007 at 06:47.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 00:43   #183
chrisns
Common or Garden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Amazon says . . . 6th October next year . . . bloody ages. Not sure to what extent Amazon's dates are to be trusted.
That's the paperback. I'm equally unsure about Amazon's dates, but if that one is accurate, then hardback should be out much before that...

edit: and the Hardback date is 7th April 2008! (see here )

Last edited by chrisns; 17-12-2007 at 00:46.
chrisns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 08:32   #184
Guest 22809
Gamertag : TomPudding

Judging from the last book, it takes 4-5 months from the time it is finished to complete the editing and publication and have it on the shelves. As it's not finished yet, I doubt we'll be seeing it in April.
Guest 22809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 11:19   #185
roddy
Trusted User

Yeah, if you check his blog () he's still working on the damned thing.
Old 14-01-2008, 10:43   #186
Guest 4466
Out of the water

I've read half of the thread and have just got to the point (in real life) where A Feast For Crows was released, so I'm stopping reading this until I've read that. I finished A Storm Of Swords last night; that was incredible!
A Storm Of Swords - big spoilers!

I'm so glad I didn't have to wait five years between these books (although the waiting will begin after this next one). No idea what's going to happen... whatever I thought the story was going to be about at the start (such-and-such getting the throne, so-and-so being found guilty of murder, that sort of thing), it's confounded me all the way. I don't know who I want to "win" any more! Which makes it all utterly fantastic.
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 13:37   #187
pmdf
Big Jesus Trash Can

I'm just a little ahead of you smst, as I'm getting into the last 100 pages of A Feast For Crows now. I agree that it's been fantastic to read them all in succession, without the interruption of waiting for the next book to be published, and it's going to be a killer when I get to the end of this one and have to wait for A Dance With Dragons. I've been reading the books daily for a couple of months, and I'm going to really miss having them as a part of my day. Will have to try and find a new series, though it's been a long time since I've read anything as gripping as ASoIaF .

It's odd as I hadn't read any fantasy since my mid-teens prior to last year, but having discovered The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (and its sequel) that lead me onto Scott Lynch's two Locke Lamora books and then onto George R. R. Martin - the best of the bunch by far. It was a year of re-discovery for me in that sense! I've got the first book of the Malazan series waiting on my bookshelf, so I'll try that one next I think.

Last edited by pmdf; 14-01-2008 at 13:40.
pmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 13:56   #188
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

This set of books is so frustrating. I read the first three novels, back-to-back when the third novel arrived in Hardback & was blown away. After the huge delay with A Feast For Crows, I bought it but had forgotten so much about the first three, I re-read them again, but halfway through the third I stopped as I realised that I was going to face the same problem waiting for A Dance with Dragons & every other subsequent release. I've now decided to hold off until they are all finished, which I know is insane, but has to be done.

In the mean time, i've also started on the excellent Scott Lynch & Joe Abercrombie novels to satisfy my thirst for Fantasy. These are much more manageable with steady one-a-year release dates.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 15:40   #189
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdf View Post
I've got the first book of the Malazan series waiting on my bookshelf, so I'll try that one next I think.
Not sure what you'll think of that, I moved onto the first Malazan book after loving ASOIAF, but was severely disappointed. I got half way through and had to stop it was becoming such a genuinely painful and unentertaining read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
had forgotten so much about the first three, I re-read them again, but halfway through the third I stopped as I realised that I was going to face the same problem waiting for A Dance with Dragons & every other subsequent release. I've now decided to hold off until they are all finished, which I know is insane, but has to be done.
The Tower of the Hand website has excellent chapter summaries.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 14-01-2008 at 15:41.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 15:46   #190

Just started the first book. Very detailed, just about getting into it, looks promising.

T
Old 19-01-2008, 00:24   #191
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Anyone know where to get a chapter summary of Game of Thrones? I stopped reading it a while back and now I wanna get back into it but I have forgotten a whole chunk of stuff.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 00:31   #192
roddy
Trusted User

Try Tower of the Hand. Careful where you are clicking as it does have spoilers, but if you stick to the chapter summaries you should be ok.
Old 19-01-2008, 02:25   #193
Inanimate Carbon Rod
oh dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Not sure what you'll think of that, I moved onto the first Malazan book after loving ASOIAF, but was severely disappointed. I got half way through and had to stop it was becoming such a genuinely painful and unentertaining read.
I found the first malazan book abit of a chore to begin with. I thought there were an aweful lot of referances to places/people/history very early on in the book with little explanation, and i found the descriptions of the warren magic system pretty baffling. Although, about halfway through i really started to enjoy it, especially when the various characters begin to come together. I think its a book that demands quite alot of perseverance early on, which almost put me off it too, but it really does pay off towards the end.

Just started the second one after good few months gap since reading Gardens of the Moon and i'm back to being baffled for a while though.
Old 19-01-2008, 02:30   #194
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Theres an awfull lot of stuff going on in the MBotF, a lot of which is only hinted at here & there, not a series to love if you want it all handed to you on a plate or like being spoon fed.
Old 19-01-2008, 09:51   #195
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I was actually really enjoying the early parts of Malazan and liking the fact that I was figuring all this complicated stuff out by myself. It was once I was nearing the halfway point that it became poor. Having read a complete plot synopsis online I'm glad I stopped, it sounded very poor.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 14:18   #196
Guest 4466
Out of the water

Finished AFFC last night. It did indeed feel like not as much happened as usual, but I'm sure that's down to the temporary absence of certain characters. I'm sure we'll see a lot of interlocking events in ADWD, such as:
AFFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsin View Post
I very much doubt that
is dead. Go back and read the chapter where
Are you sure?
AFFC

Quote:
The Alchemist was
AFFC

Quote:
As for Gregor Clegane you're right it's mostly hints but the big giveaway is
AFFC

Quote:
I'm re-reading the earlier books as I'd forgotten so much and I was quite impressed to see that a character who only appears in person in the last chapter of this book is actually introduced verbally by another character in the first book.
That's great -- I missed that. Here's something else which is surely deliberate:
AFFC

Last edited by smst; 03-03-2008 at 08:03.
Old 02-03-2008, 15:03   #197
Guest 22809
Gamertag : TomPudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by smst View Post
Are you sure?
AFFC
Guest 22809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:04   #198
Guest 4466
Out of the water

Ah, of course. Passed me by!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:48   #199

Well after struggling with the start of Book 1 I am now completely hooked and have just picked up both parts of Book 3.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:20   #200
roar349
Trusted User

Really think I need to re-read these, I missed so much...
roar349 is offline   Reply With Quote