Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 14-01-2005, 13:04   #61
Richie
Trusted User

The Getaway dvd news = major from moi
That kind of thing is exactly why I dvd!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 13:14   #62
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

One of the most intriguing snippets from Summerisle's post is, I think, this: "...by a selected-but-not-yet-named composer (an unknown), to replace the film's original Daniele Amfitheatrof score (which was reportedly hated by Peckinpah, who was not involved in the film's final cut."

If issuing the disc in a cut resembling at least a little of what Peckinpah wanted can be interpreted as one hell of an apology from Columbia, then that shows a contrition over and above...

I wonder if the remit will include the stipulation '...and can you please make it sound like a Jerry Fielding score?'
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 13:20   #63
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Splendid news.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 17:52   #64
Guest 1984
Banned

Location: a long long way from dot u k where mountains meet the sea
I liked Peckinpah's the Getaway but I do wish someone would complete the story as written by Jim Thompson. there's some other scenes in there too that I believe would make for some great cinema.

Still looking forward to this collection. I wonder what the new cut of Garrett will be.

kc
Guest 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 18:06   #65
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbcrawler
Still looking forward to this collection. I wonder what the new cut of Garrett will be.
More info here
Old 14-01-2005, 18:15   #66
Guest 1984
Banned

Location: a long long way from dot u k where mountains meet the sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
More info here

Thanks John. I missed that.

kc
Guest 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 20:03   #67
Bish

Summerisle, I've merged your thread with this one.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2005, 10:53   #68
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

A little titbit from Glenn Erikson over at DVD Talk:

I reported here last November that I was able to see a screening of an extended version of Sam Peckinpah's Major Dundee, but at that time it was requested that I not mention that Columbia was considering re-scoring the film, something that I'm not sure has ever been done. The screening convinced me that the movie would be greatly improved just by removing all the music - I think it's the main reason that Dundee doesn't play well - but it was just an idea at the time. Now The Film Score Monthly has broken the news on the web, and I'm wondering exactly what's going on. I'll try to find out if the rescoring is going to happen, as the prospect of seeing the film revived in a watchable form is very attractive.
Old 26-01-2005, 16:15   #69
gZa
Trusted User

Post TV HEADS UP!!!

Finally saw Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid on the big screen! The NFT was packed out on Monday night. Can wait for this to reach DVD.

Oh I spotted Ride The High Country in the TV listing for next week.

Channel 4 12:30 - 14:15 on Wednesday 2nd February.

This will be the cropped to 1.85:1 screening as always but it's perfectable watchable. Digi-Recorder's at the ready if you haven't already done so!
Old 28-01-2005, 11:56   #70
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

More Major Dundee scuttlebutt from Glenn Erikson:

I talked to Grover Crisp at Sony the other day. It's no joke, he has indeed recorded a new score for MAJOR DUNDEE, just last week in fact. There were acually three orchestras of different sizes recorded. It's apparently a full reworking, including Mexican mariachi music. Michael Schlesinger said that it "sounds like a real 1960s score," which hopefully is a good sign.

It's amazing to think that DUNDEE could be treated this well after officially being ignored by Columbia for so long. As I wrote last November I was able to see a screening of the extended version, and the old soundtrack was the element that still made the movie difficult to sit through. Finally viewed with a great-looking picture, the music now seems worse than terrible. Studios have re-scored silent films but I don't know if this is the first full-bore rescoring of a picture that already had an official original score ... even though this original was a sloppy patch-up job. Grover asked me to be silent back then about his intention to do the rescoring, and I have to admit that it seemed too wild of an idea at the time - I thought for sure it would be cancelled.

It does mean that the DVD (rumored) for later this year will be an extra special item. Theatrical screenings of the re-tracked DUNDEE will start on April 8 in NYC and April 15 in Los Angeles. New trailers and posters are being prepared. What an amazing development.
Old 28-01-2005, 15:40   #71
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Wonder if there's any chance at all of theatrical screenings of the restored "Major Dundee" in the UK. I'd travel anywhere in the UK to see this on the big screen - anyone fancy sharing a car ???
Old 28-01-2005, 15:46   #72
anephric
Kidney Thief

I would ABSOLUTELY make an effort for Dundee theatrically - it's been too long since I ventured further afield than Nottingham for my celluloid pleasures...

That's what Derby and a provincial mindset does for you.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 15:50   #73
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I went to Derby once but it was closed. I frequently curse the day I decided to get married again and leave London.
Old 28-01-2005, 15:58   #74
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I went to Derby once but it was closed.
Heh. So true.

BUT it does have an arts cinema, unlike Southend (yon hamlet of my birth) so at least I get to see BFI-endorsed retrospectives/rereleases etc. And the Broadway in Nottingham is quite nice (even if their film quizzes are damn hard). Shots in the Dark at the Broadway has been great some years.
Old 21-02-2005, 12:36   #75
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

From Arthur on the HTF about The Deadly Companions:

"After years of suffering through washed out pan&scan public domain tapes and the pan&scan laserdisc, I'm happy to report that a new anamorphically enhanced 2:35 DVD has come out in Japan. Just got it and it's pretty terrific. I've read so many comments bashing the look of the film, when the bashers have never seen it outside of the public domain copies. Well, it's photographed by William Clothier, one of the greats, and seeing it in its proper ratio for the first time since its initial release is a revelation. It's not a great film, but it's a whole different ball of wax when you see a properly done transfer. What a treat this DVD is after all these years. If you're a Peckinpah fan it's a total must-have. I got it from CDjapan. It took two days to get to me via EMS shipping. "

BTW, the scuttlebutt on the Peckinpah web board is that The Wild Bunch SE - and by implication the Peckinpah box set from Warners - has been pushed back to February 2006. I hope that's wrong...

EDIT - confirmed from another source; Jan or Feb 2006.

Last edited by John Hodson; 21-02-2005 at 16:53.
Old 21-02-2005, 15:57   #76
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Talks's review of the new R1 of Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia is here.

Snippet:

"Well, it’s been a long time coming for Region 1 Peckinpah fans. Many of us broke down and picked up either the Korean or Japanese DVD releases before this one hit, but if you want the commentary track (and you do) you know you’re going to go out and pick this one up too. Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia is consummate Peckinpah – this movie sweats blood and dirt from the first frame. MGM could have put a little more effort into the extras but the movie looks very good (not quite perfect, but very good) and the audio is solid as well. Highly Recommended."
Old 09-03-2005, 09:48   #77
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Part of The Essential Steve McQueen Collection, Warners are having another crack at The Getaway this June in R1 (see here). The new edition will not be the 2-disc SE that was rumoured, but will feature:

Commentary by DVD Producer Nick Redman, authors Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons & David Weddle
“Virtual” audio commentary with stills featuring Steve McQueen, Ali MacGraw and Sam Peckinpah
Trailer

Peckinpah completists will also be pleased to see the inclusion in that set of The Cincinnati Kid, a film Sam was to shoot, but was replaced by Norman Jewison.
Old 11-03-2005, 14:06   #78
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Let joy be unconfined, from the HTF:

Columbia will be releasing Major Dundee - Extended Cut on 5/31 for $19.95. The running time is 136 minutres but no other specs available yet. It is up for pre-order at DVD Empire.
Old 11-03-2005, 17:15   #79
Guest 12418
XBL: Green Yamo

Excellent, thanks John - I think that's just made my week!
Guest 12418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 21:25   #80
Guest 45586
Trusted User

This Dundee cake remixed should be fruity. Always remember reading about Heston giving back his salary to pay for foootage to be shot which was later cut anyway by Mike Frankovich of Columbia. By the by, I wonder if any readers were present, like me, when Peckinpah was on stage at the NFT, after a screening of Cable Hogue. He had Colin McArthur as his interviewer so it's not surprising perhaps that Sam had a bottle of poison in one hand and a switchblade in the other which he kept tossing into the stage. An amazing display, one of my abiding memories, along with M Godard smashing his producer on the schnoz after that Rolling Stones rubbish.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote