Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 11:59   #1
MrSpeed
Britain's Scariest Person

Reviews & thoughts on books from the "Free Kindle Books" thread in the Bargain forum.

This is a thread specifically for people to get/give some feedback on books that have been downloaded via the Free Kindle Books thread.

It can help people to possibly choose which one to read next, and even which ones to avoid!
You can also point out the books you got for free but have now gone up, and that are worth getting and paying for...via an affiliate link of course

Last edited by MrSpeed; 03-03-2012 at 13:11.
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:41   #2
Bish

I recently read The Penal Colony and it wasn't too bad. I like the basic idea of the story and it started off really well. However the last quarter seemed a little rushed and unsatisfying. I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5.
Old 03-03-2012, 13:00   #3
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

gone down the top 100 free and i have read these

the one you love, a london based thriller about a husband missing before his wedding day. I enjoyed it, felt good all the way through, maybe a bit of a rushed ending.

falling star a LA based story of a fading women tv presenter. Now i really enjoyed this one, shades of Jackie collins, not sure its one to appeal to the average forumite here D

oh and Little women was as good as it always is
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 13:09   #4
MrSpeed

I've just finished I Want it Now! A Memoir of Life on the Set of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Current Digital List Price £6.34)

I found it to be a very enjoyable read, and illustrated with some great behind the scenes photos. I'm a big Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fan, and this definitely enhanced my knowledge of it, and made me look forward to watching the movie again.
Old 03-03-2012, 15:38   #5
Guest 35923
Recovering pollyanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
gone down the top 100 free and i have read these

the one you love, a london based thriller about a husband missing before his wedding day. I enjoyed it, felt good all the way through, maybe a bit of a rushed ending.

falling star a LA based story of a fading women tv presenter. Now i really enjoyed this one, shades of Jackie collins, not sure its one to appeal to the average forumite here D

oh and Little women was as good as it always is
I haven't got time for reading at the moment (ironically because of building a book related website!) but thanks for the reminder on those - this not-so-average forumite will probably enjoy them too!
Guest 35923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 15:39   #6
Guest 35923
Recovering pollyanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpeed View Post
This is a thread specifically for people to get/give some feedback on books that have been downloaded via the Free Kindle Books thread.

It can help people to possibly choose which one to read next, and even which ones to avoid!
You can also point out the books you got for free but have now gone up, and that are worth getting and paying for...via an affiliate link of course
Great idea, thanks MrSpeed!
Guest 35923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 20:26   #7
Neil B
Trusted User

Hollowland, your typical zombie story but with lots of problems:-

it didn't seem to have been proof-read

the author hadn't bothered doing any research, ie the heroine takes spare magazine for a revolver and a car which happened to leave the factory with plate rather than safety glass

two characters identified as army privates that had way too much influence on senior officers.

All this kept throwing me out of the story which was the first part of a series, I'll not be bothering with the rest.
Neil B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38   #8
CS
Jedi Master

Dead : The Ugly Beginning

Just finished this and thought it well thought and and written. Had me wanting to get the other part(s) but I can't seem to find them. Not really tried hard, to be fair though

Read about the author too, not sure I should have really as its put me off a little...

Spacecorps Directive 34124 - No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity.'
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 13:35   #9
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Read about the author too, not sure I should have really as its put me off a little...
Kinda gives you a guilty feeling, like listening to Gary Glitter records
Old 05-03-2012, 16:18   #10
MrSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Dead : The Ugly Beginning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Kinda gives you a guilty feeling, like listening to Gary Glitter records
Your comments intrigued me, and I've had to look online at what you were referring to. I found the following from his publishers blog...

CONCERNING TODD BROWN

Whether you’ve heard it by now or not, there are a lot of things swirling around and I am here to put the record straight. In 1998 I was arrested and sentenced to a prison term charged with 3 counts of sex abuse 1 for 3 out of the 4 of my ex-wife’s children- over 5 years after I had divorced her and moved on, remarried, and had two sons and a daughter of my own. I am not here to tell you what to think, how to think, or to post any sort of defense. If you have any questions – send them. If you want out of the anthology – you are welcome to withdraw with no hard feelings.

Having never hidden any of this and in one case early on when dealing with another publisher, I let him know, through my wife, why I could not call him directly when we were dealing with an issue of one of my stories to be published in one of his anthologies. Since then it seems to have been a personal crusade by him and another author, for whatever reason, to attack and discredit me. I will not get into a war of words with either of these two. They are entitled to their opinion, but the bottom line is – they don’t know me from Adam. First things first, you can direct any and all of your anger and hatred at me that you would like, but leave my wife out of it. She has been the person who has helped me pursue this dream despite this handicap and stigma. Secondly, if you want to have nothing at all to do with me or MDP, I still wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. I am not going to get into a war of words with anyone. I’ve defended myself as much as I need to over the past 12 years.

All future contributors should read this. Whatever your decisions, I wish you well.

Todd Brown

May December Publications

PS. My release is June 8, 2011 for those who care, and I will be happy to take any phone calls from any and all of you on the 9th. And also, when you’ve dealt with “ME”, you have done so while I was on the phone with my wife.

I have 'Dead: The Ugly Beginning' still to read, but I am currently 41% into 'Zomblog' which I am really enjoying so far. I in no way condone what he has been sentenced for, but it won't put me off completing a book I'm enjoying.
Old 05-03-2012, 19:38   #11
CS
Jedi Master

I'm all for second chances. He's done his time and after reading a bit more into it I can see he's done quite a lot of study and help while in prison and also taught some of the other inmates music and other things. It in no way takes away what he did but it does make it seem like he is trying to make amends.

I'm going to read Zomblog I think as I really did enjoy Dead (the first one).

Spacecorps Directive 34124 - No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity.'
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31   #12
avid fan
Trusted User

I recently picked up a Kindle, and I’ve been gradually populating it with books I’ve had on my wanted list for ages.

I was following the free books thread with interest, and I’ve downloaded a few of the classic works, like Sherlock, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo etc etc.

However, from scanning through the free thread the common trend seems to be to pick up the ‘low end’ page turners which (I’m guessing – don’t flame!) may not have even been published if they didn’t have the easier route for ebooks .

This is all fair enough – I imagine these kind of books are great for short daily commutes etc.

I just wondered if the folks on here just use their ebook for these kind of stories or if they read a variety of material? I recall one of the main selling points of the Kindle etc was that you could get all these classics free of charge, yet it’s kind of ironic that the main uses seem to be for the other end of the spectrum!?
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27   #13
MrSpeed

Despite my obsession with Zombie books, I've also got The love letters of Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Phantom Of The Opera, England Under The Tudors, and other more literary classics which sit happily alongside Giant Killer Eels,This Tea Tastes Of ****, and Zombie Armageddon.

I haven't got a kindle, just the app on my phone (Desire HD), and my reading is mostly done in short bursts when waiting at Doctors, lunch time, etc, and so I usually prefer a bit of light reading that I can dip into. I save the "heavier" titles for summertime in the garden
Old 08-03-2012, 22:20   #14
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
I just wondered if the folks on here just use their ebook for these kind of stories or if they read a variety of material? I recall one of the main selling points of the Kindle etc was that you could get all these classics free of charge, yet it’s kind of ironic that the main uses seem to be for the other end of the spectrum!?
Know exactly what you mean. I always find it bizarre how excited people get about all the free new books available from unknown writers, most of which are going to not be worth the time to read them, when there are decades of classic literature available for free.

I can see the argument that it is handy to have an easy read on there for those odd 5 minutes here and there, though.
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:37   #15
MrSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
most of which are going to not be worth the time to read them
Quite the contrary in my experience. Out of all the free books I've had, there has only been 1 so far that I didn't enjoy. A lot of times I've gone on to buy further titles from authors of these freebies.

I think it's a great way to discover books/authors I'd probably never bother with.
Old 20-03-2012, 13:34   #16
dbilsborough
Having a mid-life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I recently read The Penal Colony and it wasn't too bad. I like the basic idea of the story and it started off really well. However the last quarter seemed a little rushed and unsatisfying. I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5.
same here, could have been so much better but definitely worth the time it took to read.
dbilsborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 21:23   #17
cjanderson

fake Kate: now £1.53

oh this was good, probably more relevant to me than others as its about a woman whose sister goes missing and her only clue is 8 internet dates set up by her sister, that she meets around london (and I've done internet 1st dates at the same places!). So she dresses up as her sister and goes on the dates, pretending to be her.

very twisty/turny and interesting.
Old 02-04-2012, 18:32   #18
Guest 1330
No Wakka for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
Know exactly what you mean. I always find it bizarre how excited people get about all the free new books available from unknown writers, most of which are going to not be worth the time to read them, when there are decades of classic literature available for free.

I can see the argument that it is handy to have an easy read on there for those odd 5 minutes here and there, though.
I think there are a LOT of good free books out there for the Kindle. Some freebies won't be polished and well proof-read as a good paper book might, but I've seen mention of high-cost e-books that are the same so it's not just a problem with freebies.

I've been using my Kindle for both the classics and for the temporary freebies. Since I got it in January I've been reading:

Taming Mighty Alaska by William C. Anderson: apparently not proof-read if the vast number of typographical errors is anything to go by but a very interesting read about a trip around Alaska by RV.

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome: absolutely superb! The free version on amazon has some formatting problems - a copy from mobileread or project gutenberg may be better. Very, very highly recommended though, I loved this book!

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: downloaded from project gutenberg and is a good edition, well formatted and proof-read. A real classic and one that gripped me immensely - a fantastic read.

The Last Bookstore In America by Amy Stewart - currently reading this and finding it a very good read indeed.

Last edited by Fozzybear; 02-04-2012 at 18:36.
Guest 1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 13:02   #19
cjanderson

Just finished Giant Killer eels which is now £1.92

it was good, very short (i managed it in 2 tube journeys and a lunch). it feels like it was written to get you to buy the sequel but can't see one. Not worth £2 compared to other £2 books i'd say.
Old 21-04-2012, 11:09   #20
G-man
Colonial Marine (Sgt. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
Just finished Giant Killer eels which is now £1.92

it was good, very short (i managed it in 2 tube journeys and a lunch). it feels like it was written to get you to buy the sequel but can't see one. Not worth £2 compared to other £2 books i'd say.
Really bugged me that the author kept referring to cryptology when he obviously meant cryptozoology.
Easy to read but the story was lacking for me and I wouldn't bother with the sequel if one was written.
Did make me want to read the old Guy N Smith books again though.