Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 23-09-2009, 09:44   #121
Guest 4725
Super Minion

I've had one of these for about a year now and love it. It is just fantastic for taking on holiday, and I also love it for hugely long books, as it's much easier to hold and take places than a massive paper or hardback.

I wasn't very impressed by the PC software though, so I' use clibre to manage all of my books, which is a fantastic piece of kit. It can convert any non DRMed format to the Reader, manage collections and tags, download website newspapers and magazines and format them for the reader. Highly recommended.

The Kindle has some neat features, and if one came out here I might be tempted, but from what I've read it's battery life maxs at about a week. I can get 3-4 weeks from the reader between charges -- and my main use is on holidays abroad, so one less charger to worry about (although the powermonkey does make that less of a oncern now)

Last edited by denver; 23-09-2009 at 09:48.
Guest 4725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 18:41   #122
anastasia
Need fixing :(

Just bought one of these today. Does anyone know how I can get myself registered on the US Sony ebook store? I'm sure I read earlier in the thread that someone had done this, but I can't see how to do it!

Edit: Ignore me, just figured it out!

Last edited by anastasia; 28-11-2009 at 20:06.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 10:53   #123
rumbletum
Trusted User

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but just completed a survey from Waterstones, seems like they're thinking of offering an eBook subscription service.

Had to give my opinions on what I'd prefer, and how much I though a fair price would be, for various subscription options including renting eBooks, getting a number of inclusive 'to-keep' downloads each months etc. Also, how much extra I'd be prepared to pay on the cost of a physical book in order to get the digital version too.

Survey link is below, if anyones interested:

http://www.voodoores.co.uk/ebooks

Last edited by rumbletum; 20-02-2010 at 10:54.
rumbletum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 11:05   #124
Guest 48579
Banned

Cool - a subscription service is the way to go, in my opinion - so I will fill this out.

EDIT - link doesn't work.

Last edited by Cockeye; 20-02-2010 at 11:06.
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 12:19   #125
rumbletum
Trusted User

Might be worth retrying, the site was fairly slow and it took me a couple of attempts for it to load.

Oh and you can enter a Ł150 eBook prize draw at the end
Old 20-02-2010, 19:54   #126
Captain_Howdy666
Made of 100% pure awesome

I quite like the idea of buying a book and getting a digital copy for an extra couple of quid.

I'll go fill in the survey, I think.
Old 20-02-2010, 21:11   #127
LouBarlow
Retired Member

What technology in these make them so expensive? Is it solely the screens?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 22:58   #128
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

Pretty much, the actual electronics are pretty cheap/simple, it's largely the fact that the screens are still very much new tech, and in limited production (which in turn prevents the economies of scale kicking in fully for the devices as such).

If they can get the cost of the screens down, I suspect we'll see them retailing for under a hundred fairly quickly, then probably even cheaper (much the same as happened with mobiles and mp3 players as the cost of the mobile phone electronics, and flash memory etc dropped).
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 00:13   #129
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I'm very tempted by the amazon kindle, but don't want to be limited to reading books they 'allow' me to read. Would the smilarly priced iriver device be a better alternative? I want to be able to access PDF without conversion.
Old 21-02-2010, 00:45   #130
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

IIRC the kindle will accept non drm'd stuff from other sources if you either connect it physically to the PC, or pay something like 50p per mb to have it sent over the mobile network.
It won't at the moment accept the epub format, which most/all of the other distributors are tending to use for DRM'd content, and I believe theoretically allows the publishers to actually manually tweak it so it always looks the best on the displayed device.
So whilst it accepts PDF's, I'm not sure if it'll cope with any with DRM.

Howeve the spat Amazon had with McMillion the other week (they removed about a 6th of the total books both physical and ebook) from the site because the publisher refused to let Amazon dictate the terms of the ebook pricing*, and basically take most of the money, has put the Kindle down from my next probable ereader right to the bottom of the list of candidates because of that behaviour (I was already nervious about how much control Amazon have over what is loaded on the Kindle after they remotely removed books a few months ago, when they realised they didn't have the rights to sell them**).
What really struck me about amazon in that case, was how petty it was to remove the paper books from the catalogue (hurting the authors more than the publisher or amazon), and how badly they handled it - they basically did it on a Friday night, didn't say a word about it officially for days, and then it was a post from a member of the "Kindle team" on the kindle forum.
Basically Amazon wanted to become the main player in distributing the ebooks, and the one who set the wholesale pricing, and going from what has been publicly said/known about it, took the action without any warning after a meeting in which the publishers rep/head guy turned down the deal Amazon wanted, but thought that negotiations were still open.

Re the Iriver device, i'm afraid I don't really know much about them, I suspect if it's got a big enough screen it probably can as I've heard some good things about them in the past.

*IIRC Amazon wanted the books at a set price, with their price being the lowest anyone would be allowed to offer the ebooks at, and they set the price, whilst taking most of the "cover price" (effectively for the "honour" of being published on the Kindle, the Publishers would lose all control over how much they/the authors received and would get a fee approaching what an agent receives, rather than the people that have done all the editing/copy proofing/marketing etc).
McMillion wanted to be able to offer the books at varying pricing depending on it's age (basically the same as they do for normal book versions - hardback, paperback, mass market), and keep a similar amount of the "cover" price as they do now when they sell wholesale to the distributors, and allow other distributors to decide how much they wanted to charge on top of that cost (up to the theoretical "RRP"), giving all the ebook formats the chance to set pricing independently of the Kindle (which despite the headline $10 price of new releases, many others are actually more expensive than they would be under the model that McMillan suggested).

**Apparently they didn't learn the lesson from that to check that the people publishing via the Kindle have the rights, as at least one author I know of has at least one of his books available via it, from a source who does not hold the ebook rights.

Last edited by werewolf; 21-02-2010 at 00:49.
Old 21-02-2010, 01:19   #131
Space Duck
Trusted User

I think the ebook reader on the apple ipad probably have amazon thinking things through. Especially since they're supporting epub which means their store should in theory be compatible with Sony ereaders and other makes too.

I'm keeping my eye on the tablet market before I even consider upgrading
Space Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 04:57   #132
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

Aye Space Duck, I suspect part of the reason Amazon tried what they did was probably to try and tie up at least one publisher before the Ipad comes out*, using the de-facto ebook standard, as I suspect that they are worried about the chances of Apple getting a similar stranglehold on the ebook/reader market as they did with the mp3 players (although given the limitations of the ipad as a reader i'm not sure there is that much to worry about in that regards).

*Although I honestly can't imagine reading an ebook on a portable backlit LCD type display, I've tried it with my PC before I got the 505, and found that whilst I could do it, it really did hurt my eyes after what for me was a normal session of an hour or so at a time (when I get into a book it's not unheard of for me to spend 3-6 hours with just tea/potty breaks reading it, especially if i'm near the end of a good thriller or similar).

Last edited by werewolf; 21-02-2010 at 04:59.
Old 21-02-2010, 09:49   #133
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Thank you. Might hang on then for a bit, as there doesn't seem to be a decent all-rounder.
Old 21-02-2010, 10:00   #134
Space Duck
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Aye Space Duck, I suspect part of the reason Amazon tried what they did was probably to try and tie up at least one publisher before the Ipad comes out*, using the de-facto ebook standard, as I suspect that they are worried about the chances of Apple getting a similar stranglehold on the ebook/reader market as they did with the mp3 players (although given the limitations of the ipad as a reader i'm not sure there is that much to worry about in that regards).
Have to hand it to Sony though, they also had their own DRM format but turned their whole library into ePub

I do hate how the amazon store does however have some books that aren't available in epub/pdf
Space Duck is offline   Reply With Quote