Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 09:52   #41
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Mandy (2018)
Panos Cosmatos crafts a surreal revenge flick akin to David Lynch adapting The Crow. Nicolas Cage and Andrea Riseborough are Red and Mandy, a content couple leading a quiet life together in their woodland home until the arrival of Linus Roache and his drugged up hippy death cult. A left for dead Cage escapes and sets after the intruders, starting with the pack of Cenobite level S&M bikers who aided Roache in their capture. Initially fuelled by alcohol, Cage's path of vengeance is topped up with ever increasingly potent narcotics and psychotropics. The world around him morphs into the apocalyptic landscape of Mandy's artwork as he engages in ever increasing levels of violence and destruction. Set in the 80's, the vibrant coloured lighting reminded me of the early Giallo-esque work of Michele Soavi. Special mention must also be made of the late Jóhann Jóhannsson's score which provides a perfect accompaniment to the visual tour de force.

Quote:
Caruthers: I've seen them once. From a distance. What you're hunting is rabid animals... and you should go in knowing that your odds ain't that good... and you will probably die.
Red Miller: Don't be negative.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked 5 times by:
eye__writ (07-10-2019), GPR79 (07-10-2019), KeyserSoze (10-10-2019), Out for Justice (07-10-2019), werewolf (08-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15   #42
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Think I watched Mandy last year, loved it, need to rewatch soon

#7 - Critters 2 (1988)
The bounty hunters are back with Charlie the alky in tow when the Critter eggs left over from the first flick start hatching. Kinda fun still but not a patch on the first one despite the addition of gratuitous big boobed nuddyness. Directed by Mick Garris and scripted by David Twohy(really?!) it barrels along at a nice pace so it's never boring and it's got a few nice New Line Cinema in jokes (Freddy Krueger) but I found myself particularly irritated by the scripts refusal to let Charlie grow beyond being a useless ****, even when he saves the day you wonder why he couldn't have just used the ship's weapons rather than suicide dive the thing. Thanks for the memories. Roll on part 3.

#8 - Creepshow (1982)
Romero directs, King writes, childhood nightmares commence. I hadn't seen this since cruddy old VHS or maybe TV? It's been long enough that it all becomes an odd fever dream from my pre-teen mind anyway. The first story; Father's Day, is memorable in that my older sister could never watch past this opening section as it freaked her out so much, cue me sneaking up to her at night shouting "Where's my caaaaaaake!!!!" Good times. Anyway, Father's Day and the next story; The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill (with Stephen King goofing around) haven't stood the test of time well, bit too cartoony. But then comes Ted Danson and Leslie Nielsen acting their little 80's socks off in Something To Tide You Over, which thankfully, is just brilliant even now. Those guys weren't messing around they took that job seriously with a couple of Oscar level great performances. And then we're into my personal favourite; The Crate, featuring Adrienne Barbeau and Hal Holbrook making up a trio (with Tom Atkins in the wraparound story as the a$shole dad) of The Fog alum. I now appreciate the gaping plot holes in this particular story, I mean Holbrook sure bets a lot on his prof pal's story of a killer ape thing in a crate before he ever sees any actual proof of it but f@ck it I don't care, this still looks great and has a sweaty macabre off kilter feel to it that I love. The last section was the one with the bugs which always just disgusted me on a non-horror level. Recommended.

via GIPHY

eye__writ (07-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (07-10-2019), WeaselFierce (07-10-2019), werewolf (08-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 13:41   #43
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
The last section was the one with the bugs which always just disgusted me on a non-horror level. Recommended.
That one with the cockroaches had me quadruple checking my pillowcase before bedtime for at least a week after watching it.
Old 07-10-2019, 16:25   #44
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Day 5 i watched....

Evil 'To Kako' (2005)

Trailer....

The first zombie film from Greece. Its very low budget but quite watchable some nice gore effects. 5 out of 10

Day 6 i watched....

AHS Coven Eps 5-8

Some great stuff in these eps including some lovely zombie attacks with great ripping apart gore. Solid season so far. 8 out of 10

GPR79 (07-10-2019), WeaselFierce (08-10-2019), werewolf (08-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 21:20   #45
GPR79

#9 - Critters 3 (1991)
The furballs are back! I was a bit worried about this one, given it starts with a family in a camper van on vacation, a bunch of kids and a weird flashback/extended trailer of the first 2 flicks courtesy of Charlie when he inexplicably explodes up out of the ground to make his heroic entrance. But as soon as they hit the apartment building run by the cheap Andrew Dice Clay knockoff it all started coming back to me; Die Hard with Critters

I'd forgotten Leo DiCaprio was in this in all his pre-fame punchable faced urchin glory, how deliciously awful. There's more Gremlins style mucking about for the Critters (watching TV, having a food fight, etc) which is still pretty funny and when the action finally kicks in it's a fun little romp, despite the budget limitations starting to show. What with Charlie actually being halfway competent at his job in this one I ended up enjoying this a little more than part 2. And what a great little To Be Continued.... ending, that made me wet back when I first saw this I think I was always holding out for a Bounty Hunter spin-off where they were after some other nasty alien species.

A behind the scenes publicity still from Titanic, Kate Winslet pre make-up:

Last edited by GPR79; 07-10-2019 at 21:22.
GPR79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 7 times by:
captaineyecatch (07-10-2019), driver8 (09-10-2019), eye__writ (08-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (07-10-2019), Out for Justice (08-10-2019), WeaselFierce (08-10-2019), werewolf (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 02:08   #46
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

#-Evils of the night (1985)

This one caught my eye as I was browsing the Prime films a while back, so I thought I’d give it a go, if just because I noticed it had Julie Newmar in it and whilst I’ve seen her in Batman, I can’t remember seeing her in anything else

low budget opening, spare BSG ship, and a discoball landing in the woods, lots of basically boobs but the production values and story are so low…

I gave up after about 25 minutes as it was that bad.

#7 The howling (1981 )

A female reporter goes hunting for leads on some grissly murders and gets a job offer in the red light district that she turns down, before a meeting with a source goes wrong.
When she takes a holiday with her husband, things get hairy.

Another of the films that I have vague memories of watching long ago but nothing much.

The story seemed reasonable, and the effects were pretty good in general with the transformation working well (although some of the action shots did look rather aged), some of it seemed “old hat” now (although the film is 38 years old), but it was still effective and the end had a surprise.
It was a fun watch

#8 Demon seed. (1977)

An AI running an automated house, where there is no manual cut off or overide, what could possibly go wrong...

Yet another film that I have vague memories of, possibly from watching it on ITV or something back in the 90’s.

This one both feels “of the time” but at the same time current (especially with the sort of rubbish IOT devices we’re seeing), the technology and effects used are definitely dated, but the story holds up well and it’s well enough acted with some reasonable suspense and some surprises.

It may be older than I am, but it’s still a good watch.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
GPR79 (08-10-2019), WeaselFierce (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 09:35   #47
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
John Carpenter, with a rare script from Michael De Luca, channel HP Lovecraft in what is, tonally, probably one of the most on the money, on screen renditions of a Cthulhu mythos tale. Carpenter is firing on all cylinders ably assisted by an excellent cast. Sam Neill is perfect as a the cocky, cynical insurance investigator always looking for the con who meets his match in the pursuit of mind-bending horror writer Sutter Cane (a suitably bonkers Jürgen Prochnow). Julie Carmen makes a fine companion on the journey into madness while the remaining cast is filled out with a fine collection of familiar faces including one Charlton Heston! KNB craft some amazing tentacled monsters that are glimpsed almost subliminally in their economical screen time yet leave plenty of memorable imagery. My favourite is the reveal of Frances Bay as the nice Mrs. Pickman. I rate this as one of Carpenter's finest which is why it's a shock that he delivered his worst film Village of the Damned the following year.
Quote:
Linda Styles: A reality is just what we tell each other it is. Sane and insane could easily switch places, if the insane were to become the majority. You would find yourself locked in a padded cell, wondering what happened to the world.
Speaking of tentacles, I've watched the first few episodes of Swamp Thing. Very horror themed. Ghosts, monsters, brutal murders and an awesome Thing-inspired autopsy in the first episode. Enjoying it so far.

As much as I watched and enjoyed Critters 1 & 2 back in the day, I've still never seen 3 & 4. I think a Critterthon is in the cards sometime soon...

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"

Last edited by WeaselFierce; 08-10-2019 at 18:32.
Thanked 3 times by:
GPR79 (08-10-2019), KeyserSoze (10-10-2019), werewolf (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 19:57   #48
GPR79

Love Mouth of Madness! The RLM boys did a re:View of it recently which was fun but I've seen the flick waaaay too many times to watch it again anytime soon.

By the by, that Swamp Thing show won me over by introducing a very specific mindblowing, game changing Alan Moore plot point from the 80's comics (my fav back in the day) in episode 9; The Anatomy Lesson (which I think is what the story back in the comics was also called). Spoilers if you haven't seen that far yet do not read this...
WeaselFierce (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 20:17   #49
GPR79

#10 - Critters 4 (1992)
Critters iiiiiin spaaaaaace! In the year 2045 Charlie's pod is picked up by space truckers and he's unfrozen just in time to deal with a Critters infestation on an abandoned space station. Angela Basset! Brad Dourif! Can't save this one! Sorry but it commits the cardinal sin of low budget cheeseball horror sequels, it's boring for inhumanely long stretches. The first 40 minutes bugger all happens except what appears to be a Dark Star budget level workshop of scenes from Alien. Eventually Charlie gets thawed out and things perk up a bit but too little too late. They even throw in the trash compactor scene from Star Wars but I was fighting to stay awake by then. And the ultimate nail in it's coffin, they do a heel turn with Ug, awwww not Ug man, c'mon, is nothing sacred, funk this movie

Heed my warning and watch this gif from Critters 1 on repeat for 85 mins instead...

Last edited by GPR79; 08-10-2019 at 20:29.
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (08-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (08-10-2019), WeaselFierce (08-10-2019), werewolf (09-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 23:13   #50
eye__writ
Trusted User

3 From Hell (2019)

The latest installment from visionary film-maker Rob Zombie sees our titular outlaws reincarnated in 17th Century Versailles, as the enlighte….ah ****, I’m just fukcing with you. It’s the same film he’s made half a dozen times already.

In many ways it's another amateurish mess and an unecessarily long 2 hour mess at that. It seems way more reliant on CGI blood and wounds than his previous films as well, which is disappointing.

Yes it's grim and grimy like all of his films but the pantomime acting, primary school script and baffling array of pointless freeze-frame cuts, masquerading as some sort of style, just drains any horror from the enterprise.

However this is perhaps the first of Zombie’s films that I didn’t actively hate. After Otis escapes from Death Row and sets about terrorising the family of the prison warden in an attempt to get him to free Baby Firefly, we have a little road trip and end up in Mexico, where at least things get a bit more visually interesting.
We’re treated to encounters with some luchador masked hitmen, a wholesome tequila-fuelled knife-throwing contest and the South American Peter Dinklage getting high.

It never ever ever threatens to become competent but it’s at least entertaining, where Zombie’s previous efforts were relentlessly tedious.

A (heavily qualified) recommendation.

Last edited by eye__writ; 09-10-2019 at 00:43.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
GPR79 (09-10-2019), WeaselFierce (09-10-2019), werewolf (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:36   #51
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Day 7

I watched....

Doom Annihilation (2019)

Trailer...

Wasnt excepting much and it delivers simple B movie fun. They did a ok job with what little money they had. Did love the hell sequence. Still cant believe they cant just give us a proper Doom movie - give us Doomguy, all the demons and Hell. Still this is an ok B movie 6 out of 10.
GPR79 (09-10-2019), KeyserSoze (10-10-2019), WeaselFierce (09-10-2019), werewolf (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:47   #52
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

The Old Dark House (1963)
American car salesman Tom Poston is invited to the ancestral home of his customer and friend Jasper Femm (Peter Bull). Unfortunately, Jasper is already deceased when Poston arrives and he is trapped in the house overnight with the oddball relatives. Jasper's death proves to be just an appetiser though since someone in the family is intent on whittling down the family share of the house inheritance. William Castle delivers a light, hoaky housebound murder mystery with goofy deaths and crazy plots. Not at the top of his work but reasonably fun nonetheless.
Quote:
Roderick Femm: Any member of the family refusing to live here, loses all rights to the fortune.
Morgana Femm: If any member of the family is not home by midnight, every night, loses all rights to inheritance.
Cecily Femm: The Femm fortune, all of it, is left to the house. The Will can never be changed unless the house dies.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 2 times by:
GPR79 (09-10-2019), werewolf (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 11:09   #53
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

In the Tall Grass (2019)
The first of what I expect to be several Stephen King adaptations viewed this month. A Netflix film (eek) that does exactly what the title says: a bunch of people become trapped once they enter a field of tall grass.

A cool little concept but it's not used in the best way. Rather than exploiting the fears of what evil may be hiding in the grass, we are instead given a bunch of annoying characters who keep arguing.

The scares come more from the imagined "what if?" instead of anything we might actually see. The cast are all a bit weak too outside of the actor playing Travis, although there's certainly some entertainment to be found in what Patrick Wilson does.

The Shining (1980)
Always tricky to watch a classic for the first time after you've seen it parodied so often. I was just waiting for Homer Simpson to turn up.

This is a fascinating, claustrophobic watch. It's an INTENSE film that doesn't really let you relax even in the scenes where nothing bad it happening. The biggest surprise is that I didn't find it the slightest bit scary, to the point where I hesitate to classify it as a horror film. It's more of a thriller, and while there are supernatural elements to it the largest theme to me was Jack's outrage at the sense that he's losing his masculinity.

The most impressive part of the whole thing is Shelley Duvall - despite being saddled with a somewhat pathetic and weak-willed character, she managed to convey an entire hidden backstory to me with her performance. It seemed to me like she was terrified of Jack from the start, and there are hints that he abuses her (whether that's only emotionally or if there's a physical aspect to it is left a mystery). She defends his accidentally injuring Danny with a smile on her face and laughs it off while clearly extremely nervous. That was what got under my skin more than anything.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 09-10-2019 at 15:40.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 7 times by:
eye__writ (10-10-2019), GPR79 (09-10-2019), Jon B (13-10-2019), KeyserSoze (10-10-2019), Out for Justice (09-10-2019), WeaselFierce (09-10-2019), werewolf (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 19:34   #54
GPR79

#11 - Creepshow 2 (1987)
This one was never a favourite of mine but it's been long enough that I couldn't really remember 2 of the 3 stories so....Old Chief Wood'nhead; wooden Indian statue takes revenge on the punks that robbed and killed sickly sweet and kindly old shop owner George Kennedy and his wife. Simply not scary or mean spirited enough for an EC Comics inspired tale, this would almost be fine for Amazing Stories. Luckily it was followed by The Raft, which is the one I remember most vividly. Good scary, gory, titillating tale featuring a foursome of swimmers trapped in the middle of a lake by a ravenous living oil slick. My only complaint with this one is that it's such a straightforward story it doesn't have much rewatch value, seen it once then you're done. The final story; The Hitchhiker features Holly Goodhead from Moonraker as a randy housewife driving home to her hubby after a good shagging from her boytoy only to run over a poor old hitchhiker on route. Sloppy zombie action here as he keeps popping up and annoying her as she continues her journey. This one's OK although it does often veer into unintentionally funny territory as the undead hiker keeps repeating "Thanks for the ride, lady!" while being continuously pummeled until he's a dripping meat sack

#12 - Critters: A New Binge (2019)
The Shudder web series. 8 x 10 min episodes so the same length as a movie when watched in one sitting. The Critters head back to earth on a mission to retrieve a lost friend. This is super low budget stuff, CG that would look at home in an Asylum flick. Plus it gets terrible reviews. So I was pleasantly surprised that it's actually very funny. The acting is a bit all over the place as well but you know what, the absolutely bonkers storyline more than makes up for all it's shortcomings, and oh yeah it's short too so it doesn't give you time to get bored. Lots of daft in-jokes referencing the likes of The Matrix, Star Wars, T2 and even Donald Trump. Cheap, shiddy and very entertaining. Give it a go! Just discovered Stephen Merchant did the 'translated' voice of the critter President, thought he sounded familiar.

And yes, that is Gilbert Gottfried.
eye__writ (10-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (09-10-2019), WeaselFierce (09-10-2019), werewolf (09-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49   #55
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018)
I enjoyed the first Goosebumps movie a couple of years ago so wasn't sure what to make of this sequel with virtually no links to the original creatively or on screen. Jack Black makes a brief appearance again as R.L. Stine but not in any way that serves anything in the story. Regardless, it proved a fun, if slight, film in any event. The Quinn family's lives are disrupted by the discovery of psychotic puppet, Slappy, who really wants a family of his own and isn't going to take no for answer. When shunned, Slappy decides to bring all of the town's Halloween monsters to life to enact his revenge! There's some fun lines and sequences (gummy bear vengeance!) but most of the second half of the film relies on the visuals bringing various Halloween decorations to life. Jeremy Ray Taylor as Sonny and Wendi McLendon-Covey as Mom are both excellent but MVP is Ken Jeong as the best neighbour ever, Mr. Chu! Mick Wingert carries a lot of the film too as the voice of Slappy, channelling Mark Hamill's Joker with John Kassir's Crypt Keeper.
Quote:
Sam: Sonny, they’re just gummy bears. They’re so tiny and cute. What can they do? Hey, there, little guys.
Sonny: Sam, you just ate half their family. I would not do that if I were you!

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 2 times by:
eye__writ (10-10-2019), GPR79 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 20:43   #56
GPR79

Bad couple of flicks

#13 - Critters Attack! (2019)
Critters arrive on earth (again) and proceed to do what Critters do. After the Shudder web series I had a glimmer of hope this one wouldn't be terrible but nope, it really is the worst. Cheap and far from cheerful, there's no funnies to be had here at all. The Critters don't do that thing where they talk to each other with subs and there's no bounty hunter aliens, booooo! Dee Wallace (from part 1) is in it, briefly, like she turned up for one day of shooting. Boring stuff to be sure but I've not even mentioned the most heinous thing in it yet....
It was dire. Avoid.

#14 - Creepshow 3 (2006)
I don't even want to write about this, it was that mind numbingly dull. I guess there was good reason I'd never heard of it. Here's a fun fact; I rarely watch a movie in which I don't recognize at least one cast member from someplace, even like some lame 90's Canadian or Australian TV show, can't even remember the last time it happened. Well I'll never forget this one.

After those I need to rewatch something I know is good....

Last edited by GPR79; 10-10-2019 at 20:45.
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (11-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (10-10-2019), Out for Justice (11-10-2019), WeaselFierce (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 09:01   #57
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Don't Breathe (2016)
Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette and Daniel Zovatto are a trio of petty B&E thieves who set their sights on robbing the home of blind veteran Stephen Lang. Once inside, the plan to drug Lang goes wrong and the trio find that, even blind, he's more than a match for these inept thieves (I mean, seriously, have they never seen Lang as a bad guy before!?). They also discover money is not the only reason for all his extra security. Fede Alvarez crafts a taught, efficient cat and mouse thriller that rattles along at a brisk pace with plenty of edge of your seat sequences. The film does suffer from a lack of characters to route for though. A couple of brief scenes with Jane Levy's sister gives her character some motivation but, for the bulk of the running time I was routing for Lang - sure he's a warped murderous psycho, but at least he has plenty of reasons behind his lunacy.
Quote:
Money: Just because he's blind doesn't mean he's a saint, bro.
On a side note, I wanted to give a recommendation for the 'Best Movies Never Made' podcast. They breakdown unmade movies, usually with one of the creators. They've had some interesting horror themed scripts under discussion recently including Darabont's Return of the Thing, Guillermo Del Toro's In the Mountains of Madness (tentacle-tastic!) and Tobe Hooper's White Zombie.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (11-10-2019), GPR79 (11-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (11-10-2019), Out for Justice (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 09:22   #58
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Day 10

I watched...

The Wind (2018)

Trailer...

Good slow burn,builds up the Loneliness well. Good acting from main actress. Some lovely scenery too. 7 out of 10

Out for Justice (11-10-2019), WeaselFierce (11-10-2019), werewolf (12-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 12:12   #59
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Forget Johnny Depp, how did Heather Langenkamp not become a massive movie star off of this?

I've not seen the Elm Street franchise before but I knew enough about them from pop culture to have an idea of what I was getting into. So, I was surprised how serious the first entry is. I was expecting a comedic horror romp, but this stays away from being overly campy.

Certainly the script is cheesy, but for me that's just the '80s charm coming through. There are some impressive and creative visuals throughout. I was expecting a lot more from Freddy Krueger who displays no real personality compared to what I know of him. Still, he pulls off some memorable and disturbing kills. There's a nice fake-out in tricking us into thinking Tina will be the main character. The ending raises some questions and I liked that it's not all neatly tied up.

It's difficult to see what an impact this had on the horror genre without perspective so it probably lost some impact for me. But this was a fun watch with a good cast (it's nice that all the teenagers aren't really annoying).

LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
GPR79 (11-10-2019), Jon B (13-10-2019), WeaselFierce (11-10-2019), werewolf (12-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 20:56   #60
GPR79

Lefty, I envy you getting to watch stuff like The Shining and Nightmare for the first time

I cherish the deep scars they inflicted on my pre-teen psyche

Anyway back to the thon, last night I needed something I knew was good so....

#15 - Poltergeist (1982)
Suburban family terrorised by nefarious spookies. Now this is one that I didn't watch until I was in my late teens and as such it never left the impression on me that it has done for others, there were whole sections of it I'd completely forgotten. That said it's quality stuff, as you might expect from an early 80's Spielberg/Hooper team up. It fires on all cylinders; it's scary, exciting, funny, charming, well acted and beautifully shot. Basically a true classic, if you haven't seen it watch it and if you have, watch it again. Highly recommended.

And onto tonight.....

#16 - Ever After (2018) (aka Endzeit)
2 years post infectious disease apocalypse two German cities still stand. A couple of girls flee Weimar in the hopes of making it to the other safe haven in Jena. I knew nothing about this one other than it's a German zombie flick featuring a Danish actress who I quite like (Trine Dyrholm). Turns out it's not a balls to the wall horror flick despite the occasional presence of 28 Days Later style rabid munchers. It's an existential type drama, concerning guilt, self determination and the resilience of nature. It's got a dreamy indie fairy tale vibe as the girls travel through the countryside avoiding the undead and trying to figure out their next move. So yeah, don't go into this expecting a whole lot of action but do give it a try, it was different and I enjoyed it

#17 - Little Monsters (2019)
Zombie outbreak at a US army base in Australia spills over into the children's petting zoo and miniature golf joint nextdoor. This was brilliant. It's a zomedy, shades of Shaun of the Dead with a slightly bigger budget and lot more swearing. I found it funny and entertaining enough for the first 20 mins before a zombie popped up so I was sold even before they slung us the lovely and talented Lupita Nyong'o as a chirpy ukulele playing kindergarten teacher that needs to keep her kids blissfully unaware that they're in some major undead doodoo. Josh Gad who usually just annoys me was surprisingly good here as a selfish, alcoholic, sexaholic, foul-mouthed children's entertainer who gets some of the flicks best lines. Even the kids didn't put a downer on the proceedings, which is astonishing. Recommended!

captaineyecatch (13-10-2019), eye__writ (11-10-2019), Jon B (13-10-2019), Out for Justice (12-10-2019), WeaselFierce (12-10-2019), werewolf (12-10-2019)