Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Board Games Forum

Notices

Old 20-03-2019, 19:15   #1
Masanevre
Welcome

Question Monopoly what rules do you play?

Welcome

Just wondering what rules people play. For instance when you Land on Free Parking what happens. If we land on it you collect the money in the middle made up from fines. Also if someone is in Jail do you let them collect rent ?

Thinking of you

Mas
Masanevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 21:07   #2
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,521 Times in 489 Posts
Free Parking you get the money, yes.

No rent collected while in jail though.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 21:14   #3
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,213 Times in 858 Posts
Not sure when the free parking thing became a rule people play. But we play it now
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 22:42   #4
GregB
Stagger Lee

I was playing the free parking rule as a kid in the 70s.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 10:37   #5
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

What version do you play? I think they do too many versions nowadays and nothing has actually improved upon the original. the Star Wars one was quite good, but all the rule changes, credit cards, etc.
Old 22-03-2019, 10:38   #6
Masanevre
Welcome

Just playing standard versions though one was a version from the 50's or 60's where you can be a tank or a Motorbike
Masanevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:44   #7
nutter45
burninator

Don’t play it, as the game never ends, there are no decisions to take and it always ends in tears
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 11:25   #8
statto
Jedi Master

The fine money going to free parking is absolutely the worst possible house rule imaginable. The number one complaint with Monopoly is that it drags on too long. The whole purpose of the fine system is that it pulls money out of the game and expedites the end. Keeping that money in the game (while adding £200 every time someone passes GO) ensures the game carries on ad infinitum.

A much better house rule is that someone landing on free parking gets to purchase any unsold property at face value. This speeds up the purchasing process and helps people to complete colour groups, which in turn speeds up property development and bankruptcies. A game played with this rule should never run longer than 90 minutes.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 21:31   #9
wobbly Jelly
Trusted User

This article was in one of my mum's papers. It was written by Norman Watson (of Waddington's) she was his secretary so probably typed it for the staff magazine.

----------------------

On a certain Friday night in the year 1933 the Guv'nor. as Mr. Victor Watson Senior was affectionately known, handed me a game and said: "Look this over and tell me what you think about it." Playing an imaginary game against myself. I continued through Friday night Saturday night and Sunday night. I was enthralled and captivated. Never had I found a game so absorbing. Thus was Monopoly first played in England at my home, Conisby Dene, Horsforth.
Enthusiastic about this new game, I was in the Guv'nors office early on the Monday morning, and finally persuaded him to make a telephone call to Parker Brothers of Salem, Mass., who had bought Darrow's invention. Nowadays a transatlantic telephone call is commonplace, but this was not only the first such call ever made by Waddingtons; it was the first ever received by Parker Brothers from Europe, so that apart from its far-reaching consequences the call itself was something of a landmark. The result was satis- factory. We were immediately granted a licence to manufacture.
In the capable hands of Mr. H. D. Brearley and Mr. Charles Moore the English Monopoly game was produced in record time, and the demand proved so great that a third team was brought into operation at Keighley under Mr. Fred Harrison. The Guv'nor decided which London streets, railway stations, etc. should be used for the English game, and in this he was helped by Miss Marjory Phillips, who had a wide knowledge of London. The actual values of the properties are of course quite different today from what they were then, and we are often asked to alter the "Monopoly" values, in order to bring the game up-to-date; but the answer is always "no". The Rules of Monopoly, like the Rules of Chess, are unchangeable.
Since those days some 40 million sets have been sold in almost every country in the world (though not as yet behind the Iron' Curtain, where it is regarded as "too capital istic"):
Monopoly did in fact have its roots in political propaganda, because although it was invented in Pennsylvania by an unemployed heating engineer called Charles B. Darrow, who died only a month or two ago, he developed it from a 1924 game called "Landlord", which had been created by a Virginian lady called Elizabeth Phillips as propaganda for tax reform.
Obviously the most normal place for Monopoly is in the home; but the game has been played in the most bizarre circumstances. American sailors played it in the atomic-powered submarine "Nautilus" whilst under the Polar icecap, and the Great Train Robbers played it with real money in their hide-out in Cheddington, Bucks. The longest game on record lasted a week and was played at the University of Pittsburgh, and at the halfway stage the tired players wired Parker Brothers: "Can't end game. Bank owes $40,000. How do we end game?" One million Monopoly dollars were rushed to the scene by air and armoured car, and Mr. Robert Barton, the President of Parker Brothers, himself attended the closing stages of this marathon.
At one time I used to consider myself something of a Monopoly expert but now my eleven-year- old granddaughter Sally beats me hollow. She always seems to have an unlimited supply of warm £100 notes. I understand she sits on her reserve supply of money.
Old 30-09-2019, 12:45   #10
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Monopoly came a surprise when I played it with someone as an adult who told me you can sell your properties too each other. His family played it everyone just went around the map and bought everything they landed on and then started trading the properties.

My family always played you buy just what you want as you keep it, the only selling that was done was with the bank for half price when you couldn't afford to pay a fine. Even then we kept the properties and reinstated them when we could afford to if I remember rightly.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 15:42   #11
allan
Trusted User

One rule that often gets overlooked is bidding on a property if someone lands on it and chooses not to purchase it.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:16   #12
Kryten
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly Jelly View Post
This article was in one of my mum's papers. It was written by Norman Watson (of Waddington's) she was his secretary so probably typed it for the staff magazine.

----------------------

On a certain Friday night in the year 1933 the Guv'nor. as Mr. Victor Watson Senior was affectionately known, handed me a game and said: "Look this over and tell me what you think about it." Playing an imaginary game against myself. I continued through Friday night Saturday night and Sunday night. I was enthralled and captivated. Never had I found a game so absorbing. Thus was Monopoly first played in England at my home, Conisby Dene, Horsforth. ...

From Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_(game) )

Quote:
In 1936, Parker Brothers began licensing the game for sale outside the United States. In 1941, the British Secret Intelligence Service had John Waddington Ltd., the licensed manufacturer of the game in the United Kingdom, create a special edition for World War II prisoners of war held by the Nazis. Hidden inside these games were maps, compasses, real money, and other objects useful for escaping. They were distributed to prisoners by fake charity organizations created by the British Secret Service.
I never knew that.

Not played Monopoly in years, but I do think we played with free parking takes the money and no rent when in jail.
Old 03-10-2019, 23:19   #13
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Not saying that article isn't true, but surely you end a game at any point by cashing up and seeing who has the most.