Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 07:53   #1
avid fan
Trusted User

Smile The Clive Barker Thread

Hi folks,

I noticed there wasn’t a general Clive Barker thread so thought I’d address it!

I’ve got an urge to read more in the horror/ fantasy vein, and thought I’d pick up some more Clive Barker. I remember reading the first Book of Blood years ago and can still vaguely recall some of the short stories (I’m sure one of them had a malevolent pig in…)

I’ve always been keen to dip more into his works, but just never got around to it. To redress this, I’ve already ordered ‘The Great and Secret Show’ and was looking for any other recommendations. From Amazon reviews, it sounds like Imagica is one of the highest recommended of his works??

Can anyone recommend any others? – has he done anything recently that’s up there?
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:04   #2
the thing with no name
ex-B&B owner

weaveworld and Imajica prob his best stuff

have to say i was really enjoying the Abarat books too, I know they are based more for kids/teenagers, but still a great inventive read.

Met him many moons ago at a book signing in Nottingham for 'the thief of always'
Such a nice bloke, really friendly and after the signing stayed around to chat with a few of us for a good few hours, much to the bookstore owners annoyance!

Was hoping for the next in the great and secret show series, or possibly the long mooted next part of imajica to be arriving. but seems to have gone a bit quiet.

Some great books from him though
Old 07-07-2010, 21:23   #3
loujareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thing with no name View Post
weaveworld and Imajica prob his best stuff

have to say i was really enjoying the Abarat books too, I know they are based more for kids/teenagers, but still a great inventive read.

Met him many moons ago at a book signing in Nottingham for 'the thief of always'
Such a nice bloke, really friendly and after the signing stayed around to chat with a few of us for a good few hours, much to the bookstore owners annoyance!

Some great books from him though
Same here, I met him on that book signing tour, for me it was in Leicester. My mum went with me as she is an avid book reader and it was such a treat for her to meet him. A friend of mine went to Leicester Forbidden Planet later that day and met him and like you spent some time chatting, he said he was a great guy.

Read most of his and I think Imajica is my fave with Weaveworld 2nd. what an imagination he has.

Last edited by loujareth; 07-07-2010 at 21:24.
loujareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 21:31   #4
RCW
XBL - RCW41

Weaveworld is fantastic, also love Thief Of Always & the Abarat books which I couldn't put down, just wish he would hurry up with the rest.

love his art work as well

will definitely be looking out for this next year...

http://www.berlinger-sinofsky.com/#/...f_clive_barker

Last edited by RCW; 07-07-2010 at 21:34.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 15:53   #5
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
Weaveworld is fantastic, also love Thief Of Always & the Abarat books which I couldn't put down, just wish he would hurry up with the rest.

love his art work as well

will definitely be looking out for this next year...

http://www.berlinger-sinofsky.com/#/...f_clive_barker
The documentary looks like it could be good...it was announced ages ago, shame we have another year to wait!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:46   #6
gjkendall
Gooner

I have been a long time fan/collector of all things Barker!

The Damnation Game is a storming first novel, and probably the closest to traditional horror you will get with Barker...this would make a fantastic movie.

The books of the Art are great (The Great And Secret Show & Everville)...the final part is LONG overdue, although they do work as stand alone novels.

Weaveworld and Imajica are well worth investing time in.

His books for 'younger' readers are bloody brilliant....The Thief Of Always and the Abarat books...must haves.

Without wanting to sound too gushy, you really should read them all..and possibly in chronological order as well. You get a feel for Barkers improvement in writing and ideas,themes cross over between books.

His short stories are worth reading too.

New material is out soon from Clive (as well as some very good biographies from his official website)
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24   #7
MrSpeed
Britain's Scariest Person

Weaveworld = brilliant
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 21:19   #8
leemel
Diagnosed Mail Reader

Mr B Gone was an interesting read...I loved most of his earlier work, but found Gallilee hard going.
leemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 21:33   #9
leemel
Diagnosed Mail Reader

Totally agree, although Clive Barker writes short stories that are very descriptive and well paced, he really excels with a full novel. I felt Imajica in some ways seemed like it was retreading old ground at first glance, but the more I read it, the more it pulled me in. Much more immersive than Weaveworld, as I felt Weaveworld had too many incidental characters to concentrate on.
leemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:38   #10
Taq
Evil Scientist

One thing I love about Barker is that what you think is going to happen at the end of his stories more often than not happens about a third of the way through, and characters you thought may be just minor ones gain in importance later on making it a much more interesting read.

I have a hardback copy of Weaveworld I bought on ebay sitting on the shelf in my office atm

Another vote for the Abarat series too. Apparently book3 is stuck at the publishers for some reason and he's deep into book 4 currently.

It's a pity not many of his stories have been translated well to screen (apart from the original Hellraiser of course and Nightbreed was okay). HBO should do a Weaveworld or Imajica mini series adaptation.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:20   #11
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

No love for Cabal?
The original novel that Nightbreed was based upon

I'm still living in hope that the proper version of Nightbreed sees the light of day - According to Doug Bradley, the film they made was an extremely close adaptation of the book... Until the studio started messing with it, re-edited the whole thing ( And dubbed over all his lines with a daft German accent for Lylesburg ).

The Books Of Blood collections are also excellent.
Reverend Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 14:14   #12
RCW
XBL - RCW41

don't think Cabal is up there with the likes of Weaveworld, Imajica etc but I do like the movie & still watch it occasionally, that and the first Hellraiser, didn't like the sequels.

there were plans for animated films of Abarat & Thief of Always but seem to have been shelved.
Old 08-07-2010, 15:19   #13
lintone
ps3 :- biffy

Weaveworld is my favourite book,love all the clive barker stuff,he hasnt written anything i havent enjoyedthere was definatly plans a foot a few years ago to make weaveworld into a tv series and i am sure it was the bbc.

Last edited by lintone; 08-07-2010 at 15:30.
lintone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 15:55   #14
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintone View Post
Weaveworld is my favourite book,love all the clive barker stuff,he hasnt written anything i havent enjoyedthere was definatly plans a foot a few years ago to make weaveworld into a tv series and i am sure it was the bbc.
I was helping out with the 'Lost Souls' fanclub and I was all arranged for me to be the on-set reporter when Weaveworld was filming....gutted it never happened.
Old 16-11-2010, 20:17   #15
RCW
XBL - RCW41

just been to look for updates on his official site and appears he's fallen out with his publisher

not surprised tbh, thought there must be something behind the delays and lack of stuff getting to the shelves, hope it's sorted soon, been too long to wait for Abarat 3.
Old 16-11-2010, 20:30   #16
Guest 320
Trusted User

Finished the Books Of Blood and thought they were generally excellent. Then read The Great And Secret Show which was a bit pants really. Starting on Imajica, bit of a monster tome. Have high hopes for it as i liked Weaveworld.
Guest 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 21:03   #17
RCW
XBL - RCW41

Imajica is great, can't go wrong if you liked Weaveworld
Old 16-11-2010, 21:18   #18
Guest 47035
Rant in c#

Weaveworld is one of my favourite books, the books of blood were great, I even loved Coldheart Canyon which a lot of people didn't think much of.
Guest 47035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 17:06   #19
Guest 78091
Trusted User

I loved Cabal and Weaveworld. I have a few more to read by Mr Barker, including Coldheart Canyon which really appeals to me.
Guest 78091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 18:02   #20
RCW
XBL - RCW41

just seen this on official site

http://www.earthlingpub.com/cb_weaveworld.html

hope it's available to order/ship to uk, would love one.

Last edited by RCW; 03-01-2011 at 18:03.