Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 29-06-2006, 22:00   #1
DeadWalk
Trusted User

Doctor Who Complete Series 2 DVD - Cyberman Head

First of all, apologies if this has been posted already - I did search but there were loads of results for Doctor Who.

Amazon have a listing for the Doctor Who: Complete Series 2 (Limited Edition Cyberman Box Set). Think the original R1 Battlestar Galactica Cylon head packaging and you'll get the idea. I wondered what packaging would be used for the complete Series 2 after the TARDIS boxset for Series 1 and I think this will do nicely.
DeadWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 22:07   #2
Guest 993
Trusted User

It was posted somewhere but can't remember where. Anyway, this is Amazon exclusive and limited, whereas the TARDIS box was the normal box for Season 1. The normal box for Season 2 is a rather boring rectangular season boxed set kind of thing so I'd grab the head if you can (unfortunately means paying higher prices at Amazon).
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 22:09   #3
Guest 2295
Filmmaker

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I prefer the boring rectangular boxes. They fit on my shelf better. In fact, I didn't buy the first season because of the crazy packaging!
Guest 2295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 22:17   #4
Guest 22915
Whacked up on Scooby Snax

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I prefer the boring rectangular boxes. They fit on my shelf better. In fact, I didn't buy the first season because of the crazy packaging!

Likewise, I'll only buy S1 if they release it in normal packaging; which is a shame cos I wanna watch the extras!

Shame on you BBC Boo Hiss Boo!
Guest 22915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 07:53   #5
chopperwilson
Nick Wilson

I've got the Tardis boxed cversion of season 1 and will probably get the cyberman season 2. I like the different box sets, i just display them on the front of shelves.
chopperwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 08:10   #6
Richie
Trusted User

That thing is just as daft as the Tardis box, if not moreso!
The Tardis box annoyed me no end. They could've used a 'normal' box and still made it look like the Tardis, instead of the stupid 'discs on the walls' crap!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:24   #7
new
Sand Dab

Final design of the Doctor Who: Complete Series 2 - Limited Edition 'Cyberman Head' Box Set with Lenticular Postcard (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk)

I always assumed that it would have the standard box inside this set, but it looks like this is different too.

Still going for it.

Series 2 also won the 3 main awards at last nights TV Quick and TV Choice Awards. from the SUN :

Quote:
Who-ray! Doc wins 3 gongs
*By COLIN ROBERTSON
September 05, 2006

TELLY hit Doctor Who added three more top gongs to its already bulging trophy cabinet last night.

David Tennant, who plays the timelord, and ex co-star Billie Piper, clinched best actor titles at the TV Quick and TV Choice bash.

The BBC1 sci-fi drama also picked up the best loved drama award.

Billie — who played Rose Tyler — admitted she was over the moon to get an award, but confessed she had panicked about whether giving up her role was the right decision.

She said: “It could be the worst decision I’ve ever made in my life.”

But she said her replacement Freema Agyeman would prove to be a huge draw.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 15:54   #8
Guest 20854
Banned

Extras announced:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...31/36159.shtml

Might not be the final list - lots of obvious content omitted, such as Attack of the Graske, Tardisodes and the online commentaries.
Guest 20854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:18   #9
albertz
The Weapon

I've never pre-ordered from Amazon- if I went for this, what's the likely hood of receiving it on actual release date?
albertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 16:19   #10
Kevin
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertz
I've never pre-ordered from Amazon- if I went for this, what's the likely hood of receiving it on actual release date?
Virtually nil.

I use Amazon a lot and they have never despatched a DVD to me before the release date.

The exception to this was when Star Wars EP3 was released. Amazon made a big thing about it being shipped to arrive on release day. I didn't order it from them, but if I remember correctly, they made a mess of it and a lot of people didn't get theirs on release day.

Kevin.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 08:44   #11
chopperwilson
Nick Wilson

Got mine yesterday, the cybreman head not the greatest packaging but OK
chopperwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 22:33   #12
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Got mine yesteray too. The Cyberman head - a vaccum-formed affair with some extra work on the eyes, all glued to a blank silver box. Nothing special, quite cheap in fact but it matches the 1st series boxset packaging, in that its too big and completely unnecessary! Oh, and its glued onto the box with the same glue that was used inside the series 1 boxset, so it won't be stuck on for long!

Sadly, the lovely clear outer sleeve of the 'normal' boxset inside was broken, so its going back to Amazon. Top marks to Amazon though, as you can print out a pre-paid address thingie on their website for returning stuff. They also send a replacement immediately and don't wait until you send stuff back first - they just want the damaged item returned within 30 days.

Of course, if the replacement has stuff missing or is damaged, Amazon's returns method opens up a window of opportunity to mix and match for a complete and undamaged set before sending one of them back.

Last edited by Refrenz; 22-11-2006 at 22:42.
Refrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 14:07   #13
Zaichik
Trusted User

The dodgy box is not the only problem with the season 2 boxset. The edit of the Children in Need special on disc 1 is an early edit which is missing some sound effects, has the wrong music in places (some of it is taken from The Road to Perdition), and has a jarring break in the middle. In addition to that, DT's diary is very badly edited.
Zaichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 14:30   #14
new
Sand Dab

I managed to order the Cyberman head when Amazon had it as the sam price as the standard set so Im happy with it, but if you had to pay an extra Ł10 for it I can see why some of you are disappointed.

The "jarring break" has always been in there, & I could live with the wrong music in some places, but the thing that Im not happy about is that they have taken off the "cluster bell"

DT's diary is what it should be. An account of his first year of him being the Doctor filmed on his camcorder. Like most "diary's" & "home movies" etc, it is snipits of information & I don't think he was every expected to map it out so that it edited together perfectly, so Im not sure what editing you was expecting for that?

Mines now been put away & I wont see it again untill Xmas.

Last edited by new; 24-11-2006 at 14:38.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 15:42   #15
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by new
the thing that Im not happy about is that they have taken off the "cluster bell"
"cloister"

That's a shame though as that was a big gift to the fans.

Can't see that there would be any clearance issues with it to leave it out deliberately.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote