Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 17-07-2019, 13:00   #1
oldskool
Trusted User

Tidal Hifi option

Is anybody using this?

I currently have spotify and after inheriting some really nice audio equipment, I'm trialling the hifi version of Tidal which is meant to be uncompressed audio files.

I'm currently doing tests, I'll play 15 seconds of a track on spotify and then on Tidal to see if I can tell the difference and on some I can, on others, I can hear no difference whatsoever, on a couple, I even prefer the spotify version.

I'm curious as to other people's experiences
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 13:08   #2
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

a lot of hifi is placebo. Just go with what sounds best to you and stick with that otherwise before you know it you'll be obsessing about bits of wire that make no difference whatsoever.

Usually the biggest limiting factors are people's hearing and the rooms people are listening to music in, but heaven forbid you try and tell this to the hifi nutters when they can buy more equipment to try and fix mythical issues.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 13:50   #3
GregB
Stagger Lee

I guess the main question is how much it costs and would it be worth it.

My hearing is knackered so any of the normal streaming services sound just fine on my Sonos.

I doubt uncompressed files across a stream would make any difference to me .
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 16:03   #4
Matholwch
Trusted User

I've got Deezer Hifi - courtesy of the Samsung R3 speakers bargain a year ago (my 2x 6 months of free Deezer HiFi is about to end). And I believe that I could tell the difference, the sound was somewhat crisper and better defined. However, I'm not sure if its worth double the price of regular Deezer.
Although I hear Tidal has more frequent promotions, and payment options...
Old 08-10-2019, 08:57   #5
oldskool
Trusted User

I didn't continue with tidal beyond the trial, the difference wasn't worth the extra money.

However amazon have just launched their HD option for uncompressed music and now I'm trialling that for 3 months...and it's much more reasonably priced (a couple of quid over their normal offering and only an extra 4 quid on their family package)

...again, I tend to prefer the spotify version. I don't know if Spotify processes their music, adds more bass or whatever but it just tends to be a fuller sound. Everyone who has had the trial at my place prefers spotify too bar a couple of tracks.

It could be that since streaming, we've become used to hearing music a certain way

Last edited by oldskool; 08-10-2019 at 08:59.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:25   #6
Kryten
Administrator

Spotify tried this (Spotify Hi-Fi), but not sure they ever did anything past a limited trial. There are only a few that would really benefit. For me I mostly listen in my car, so not much use to me, my car has an ok sound system, but nothing high end and not sure I would notice the difference in the car. maybe with my headphones on out and about I might, but only if I used my hardwired headphones most likely (not with AirPods). A home my sound system is all for A/V and not music. My computer has some older H/K Soundsitcks, but even so still not worth it as the DAC in the laptop is presumably the limiting factor there.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:12   #7
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I'm on a three months for Ł5.99 offer, can't say I've really noticed any difference to Spotify really, not on Sonos speakers.

I prefer the options on Spotify; I often use the artist radio (where it plays music similar to that particular artist) and I can't find a similar option on Tidal
Old 08-10-2019, 13:23   #8
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
...again, I tend to prefer the spotify version. I don't know if Spotify processes their music, adds more bass or whatever but it just tends to be a fuller sound. Everyone who has had the trial at my place prefers spotify too bar a couple of tracks.

It could be that since streaming, we've become used to hearing music a certain way
It could be down to the masters - sometimes they are different depending on which version the streaming service uses, or it could just be that you prefer the compressed version of the music - nothing wrong with that, if that's what you prefer, that's what you prefer.

I seem to remember a test done a while ago where the yoof they tested all preferred the compressed versions.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote