Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 06-07-2017, 13:12   #41
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Hearing positive stuff, much prefer personal opinions, so will probably give it a go at the picture house (rather than waiting for it to pop up on NowTV).

What is it like for kids? Kids in my lads class are obsessed with spiderman (as is mine, without any real encouragement or seeing anything to do with him) and are talking of going, I wouldn't even think of it as I think he's too young (he is 5!)
Yeah, I reckon it's way too much for a 5 year old, and the 12 rating is spot on. The bad guy is menacing and scary, and there's a distressing moment for our hero which gave me a bit of claustrophobia.

Loved the film, a solid 4/5. It's really funny and pure popcorn entertainment, easily the best Spidey film for me. And definitely, that's my favourite after-credits sequence ever.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 18:10   #42
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

RE: Keaton...

ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 13:45   #43
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Oh & EVERYONE has to wait until the VERY END to catch the excellent post-credit scene. You won't regret it!
Or save ten minutes of tedium and don't bother. I regretted waiting!

Loved the film, very funny, great action and a proper baddy very well acted by MK.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
obidan23 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 15:47   #44
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Saw this last night and was very impressed, the best MCU film since Civil War (I found Dr Strange and Guardians 2 to be quite disappointing) and alongside that and Avengers 1 probably one of the best 3 so far.

Laid out a great template of how you can reboot a character without doing the origin story all over again. The take on high school was good, it had enough of the standard Peter Parker troubles without being a retread of them all again like the Amazing Spider-man films were. I also liked how it was relatively low-key and that made it feel much more engaging and dramatic than the overblown 'universe saving' story lines of Strange and Guardians 2.

Keaton was excellent, the best bad guy in an MCU film for a long while now. It was also interesting that an MCU almost approached an interesting bit of reality based subtext with Keaton's motivation. Be interesting to see if they develop that further.

The casting director should probably get the lion's share of the praise though! The film is stuffed full of quality little known / TV actors doing a great job. Peter Parker's friends were superb.

Marvel still can't end a film however without something massive and exploding falling out of the sky though!
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:40   #45
lentini
now with added cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
Saw this last night and was very impressed, the best MCU film since Civil War [..] and alongside that and Avengers 1 probably one of the best 3 so far.

[..]

The casting director should probably get the lion's share of the praise though! The film is stuffed full of quality little known / TV actors doing a great job. Peter Parker's friends were superb.
Disagree with all that. It was just 'fine'. Apart from the pretty decent effects, it all felt like a TV movie....the script was passable and the acting was 'OK'...Tom Holland did an OK job as Peter Parker. The 'Ned' character was quite poor and annoying. I do agree with you about Michael Keaton though, he was great along with Zendaya in the few scenes she was in.

Nice to see the origin story completely compressed down into basically one line as well.
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 15:09   #46
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentini View Post
Disagree with all that. It was just 'fine'. Apart from the pretty decent effects, it all felt like a TV movie....the script was passable and the acting was 'OK'...Tom Holland did an OK job as Peter Parker. The 'Ned' character was quite poor and annoying. I do agree with you about Michael Keaton though, he was great along with Zendaya in the few scenes she was in.

Nice to see the origin story completely compressed down into basically one line as well.
Yeah my feelings too. Perfectly fine and entertaining. Certainly above average for a Marvel film. But still the usual fare.

The best part was the "twist". Holland did a great job during those scenes.

But I'm still left with a vague feeling that sooner rather than later Marvel will need to shake things up. It's all getting a little repetitive and samey.

Or at least they should give their directors more leeway to add something different to the MCU in addition to the main movies maybe.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 21:18   #47
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Well I enjoyed the heck out of it. A million times better than the God awful 'amazing' movies.

That was the Spidey I grew up reading. I was always slightly anoyed when the other movies rushed his school years because that's where the comics were always the strongest. The cast were spot on and even the bad guy was well developed.

I also liked how the seeds of future stories were gently sowed rather than stoping the movie dead like in lesser comic book movies.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:42   #48
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

I really liked that Spiderman was far from the finished article, he was basically a 15 year old kid with super powers. Vulture was someone that would have been dispatched by Iron Man/Thor/Hulk is about 5 minutes flat but managed to get the upper hand on Spiderman many times. The ferry scene really nailed home the gulf between Spiderman and Iron Man.

Feige has come out this week and said the end of Infinity War will be the closing of this chapter of the marvel universe (or words to that effect) and RDJ has hinted he's off too. I'm guessing Spiderman will be a cornerstone of the next chapter and we'll get to see him, over the next ten years or so, grow to being hero on par with the likes of Iron Man.

If so, it's actually quite smart on Marvel's behalf.
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:02   #49
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,274 Times in 899 Posts
Well presumably Disney cannot continue to keep paying RDJ $60m a movie or whatever they pay him. Maybe look to kill him off, etc.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:07   #50
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I disagree with a few comments on here. The twist was tired and naff, my mate predicted it before it happened and I thought God I hope not, had enoguh of that with Maguire's Spidey movies.

The casting director also didn't go a great job in a way because it stank too much of politically correct minority casting. Although they may have jsut cast the best actors that went in for a role? It was like the Fantastic Four movie all over again, MJ should be a redhead, Flash a blonde Flash Gordon like Jock (I wonder if that's where they got the name?)
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:38   #51
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I'm guessing you didn't notice that it was a school of gifted science students. A jock flash Thompson wouldn't have worked.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 23:02   #52
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor View Post
Feige has come out this week and said the end of Infinity War will be the closing of this chapter of the marvel universe (or words to that effect) and RDJ has hinted he's off too.
I'm hoping Iron Man joins the Guardians of the Galaxy at the end of Infinity War. He was a member in the comics, it'll be a good opportunity to introduce that character in an environment he isn't established in, and I expect James Gunn could write gold for RDJ.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 08:33   #53
allan
Trusted User

Definitely the best Spider Man film, really enjoyed it and look forward to more in the next Avengers film. They definitely got it right this time by getting someone that actually was close to the actual age of Spider Man.
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 12:36   #54
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

I loved it, and it's a great movie:
It was fun.
It had great characters.
Actors/acting were superb (liked the casting of Paul Bettany's wife (Jennifer Connely) as Suit Lady).
The teen-angst setting was good.
Great to see that certain characters are involved that wern't in previous Spiderman movies (Miles, Ned, etc.).
Nice nods to the comics, and other movies (Raimi's Spiderman 2, Bueller, Breakfast Club, etc.).
Good that it didn't have a world-saving plot.
It tied into the existing Marvel Universe superbly.
The twist.
The car scene had some great acting. In fact most of the scenes after the twist were quite tense.
Great humour.

Two things that stood out to me, that kind of pulled me out of the movie:

I didn't mind the Iron Man-type spidersuit.

Last edited by William Shatners Wig; 13-07-2017 at 12:41.
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 12:51   #55
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shatners Wig View Post
I loved it, and it's a great movie:

Two things that stood out to me, that kind of pulled me out of the movie:

Well... (this paragraph shamelessly lifted from an article on another site)

Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 17:11   #56
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevlock View Post
Well... (this paragraph shamelessly lifted from an article on another site)

Kind of true. But he's still got quite a high social liking and is quite happy in himself.

Another large problem that pulled me out of the movie is why was it set after Civil War?!
In Civil War he came across as a very good fighter who had some experience. Stealing Cap's shield and tying his hands together in one move, then that ultra cool landing... plus the other bits of that battle.
Then we go to the bumbling teenager in Homecoming - why not just have Homecoming set before Civil War?
Old 14-07-2017, 09:41   #57
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shatners Wig View Post
Kind of true. But he's still got quite a high social liking and is quite happy in himself.

Another large problem that pulled me out of the movie is why was it set after Civil War?!
In Civil War he came across as a very good fighter who had some experience. Stealing Cap's shield and tying his hands together in one move, then that ultra cool landing... plus the other bits of that battle.
Then we go to the bumbling teenager in Homecoming - why not just have Homecoming set before Civil War?
I suppose then you would have to do an origin story potentially and the fact that he won't have his proper suit. Although I agree his powers seem to have lessened between Civil War and this one.
TheCookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 12:01   #58
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
I suppose then you would have to do an origin story potentially and the fact that he won't have his proper suit. Although I agree his powers seem to have lessened between Civil War and this one.
The only real change to have this set before Civil War would be to have his meeting with Tony Stark explained, they wouldn't necessarily have to say how Peter got his powers. Apart from the phone video-blog footage at the beginning (which I don't think the Peter Parker we all know would have done anyway), there's no major linkage to Civil War, only the first Avengers movie and a little bit from Age of Ultron

Last edited by William Shatners Wig; 14-07-2017 at 15:26.
Old 14-07-2017, 22:51   #59
lettuce
XBL Gamertag: BlockABoots

That was Vass (Far Cry 3) at the end talking to Vulture in the prison right?
Old 15-07-2017, 07:51   #60
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

Yep, he's Scorpion in Sony's offshot of the MCU.