Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 11-07-2016, 10:41   #1
Dean[SAS]
Trusted User

Projector for everyday use

We're getting our loft converted to a new master bedroom and are struggling to find a suitable spot for a TV to hang on the wall. The wife thought a projector with a pull down screen might be more suitable.

I have a few questions as I don't know a huge amount about projectors.

1) Are projectors suitable for everyday TV type use?
2) Do they still get mega hot and noisy?
3) Will using a projector for an hour or so each day shorten the life of the bulb (do they even still use bulbs?)

Thanks very much.
Dean[SAS] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:49   #2
dunkle
Trusted User

In my experience (and last Projector I purchased was a a PTAE1000 about 10 years back which still going strong with original bulb)

(1) Yes
(2) Depends on make / model / time ran / environment / settings of picture / eco mode
(3) Mine was used mainly for films, so 90 minutes to 2 and half hours at time, plus gaming, but bulb still going ok 1500+ hours later

Have you considered

(1) Sound - you will need some form separate sound system. Some projectors will do basic sound, but its far from any good, so consider soundbar or separates system
(2) Sources - how will you get a picture and send it to projector
(3) Mount - Wall / Ceiling ? distance - will you need a short throw projector (getting cheaper)
(4) Light Control - probably biggest after sound. Whilst you can run a projector in day time conditions, with curtains open or at night with lights on, the picture you get will be far from quality ! You will need some form of light control. Days of needing a bat cave are behind but the darker the room, the better

It may be worth considering something like one of those bed frames with TV mounted in the kick rest that can come up and down - however not cheap

http://www.antiquecentral.co.uk/anti...den-tv-company

Last edited by dunkle; 11-07-2016 at 10:50.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:54   #3
Dean[SAS]
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
In my experience (and last Projector I purchased was a a PTAE1000 about 10 years back which still going strong with original bulb)

(1) Yes
(2) Depends on make / model / time ran / environment / settings of picture / eco mode
(3) Mine was used mainly for films, so 90 minutes to 2 and half hours at time, plus gaming, but bulb still going ok 1500+ hours later

Have you considered

(1) Sound - you will need some form separate sound system. Some projectors will do basic sound, but its far from any good, so consider soundbar or separates system
(2) Sources - how will you get a picture and send it to projector
(3) Mount - Wall / Ceiling ? distance - will you need a short throw projector (getting cheaper)
(4) Light Control - probably biggest after sound. Whilst you can run a projector in day time conditions, with curtains open or at night with lights on, the picture you get will be far from quality ! You will need some form of light control. Days of needing a bat cave are behind but the darker the room, the better

It may be worth considering something like one of those bed frames with TV mounted in the kick rest that can come up and down - however not cheap

http://www.antiquecentral.co.uk/anti...den-tv-company
Thanks for your input.
We thought about the bed tv thing but being quite tall I think I would keep kicking it when in bed.

As it's a loft conversion we can spec everything out (av cupboards, speakers and lights etc) so we can cover all the bases for the best experience.
Dean[SAS] is offline   Reply With Quote