Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 29-11-2015, 12:50   #61
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
Here's an idea. Next time you get a couple of hours in an don't like something sack it off. Life too short for this.
Everyone is entitled to post up their opinions here, and all are equally valid.
Not everyone likes everything, some things I love you will not and visa versa.
Does not mean I feel you do not have the right to express your views just because I don't share them.

This Series? looked like it had promise. Episode 1 was good, it started with the interesting ideas and seemed like it was worth watching to see how all the aspects hinted at would develop as a story over the following 9 hours.

I was hoping to enjoy this, hence why I did not skip, or read ANY reviews about it, or wish to get any background knowledge as I wished to see how the Episode 1 points were expanded upon.

Unfortunately, for myself this did not happen and the episodes between 1 and 10 were pretty much just padding to fill the space.

I'm sure others will love all the "human interaction" aspects, which make up the bulk of it. Just not for me I'm sorry to say.

I personally don't like Books or Films that have little actual story and just fill their "pages" up with padding.

Glad I watched it, but it's always a gamble as to if it's for you or not.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:53   #62
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

You spent 10 hours of your life watching it when you knew you were dissatisfied after 2 or 3.

It's not a question of differing opinions. It's simply realising that something isn't for you and not thinking seeing it through to a convulsion makes any sense.
Old 29-11-2015, 12:54   #63
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
I found the book quite complex and will give it a second reading once I've finished the TV series. There's a book within a book...and 'other' stuff going on structure-wise which makes it more complicated still. So there are at least two different alternative histories going on, running in parallel.

The TV show is far more straight-forward so far. Unless you're Tempest.
Cheers, Russ.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 13:05   #64
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
You spent 10 hours of your life watching it when you knew you were dissatisfied after 2 or 3.

It's not a question of differing opinions. It's simply realising that something isn't for you and not thinking seeing it through to a convulsion makes any sense.
Well, if I'm honest, I was VERY intrigued by this Alternate World film in episode 1.
Who was making them? How they were made, how the story was going to full expand in this direction. Each episode I was hoping THIS was going to be the one where some more "meat" was going to be added to this, for me interesting aspect to the movie itself.
I wanted to "be there" to not miss the key points relating to these films, and of course did not wish to Google it and spoil it for myself, so each episode was I guess a "perhaps in this one we'll find out a bit more" which I now know didn't really pan out as I hoped.

And why I suppose I now agree with some others in saying episodes 1 and 10 were the ones with the story in them, the rest did nothing to actually move that side (the bit I was interested in, and hoping would be expanded) of the story forward.

I did not wish to cheat or skip and I constantly held out hope something would happen, but it was just not my kind of thing, that's all.

Just read this on Wiki.
This would have made more sense. Did I blink and miss it or this is "adaptation" just take liberties and totally changed this from the book?

Perhaps this is why I was so mixed as I knew nothing about this and the change in the adaptation does not tie in unless you already know the book?

Last edited by Tempest; 29-11-2015 at 13:42.
Old 29-11-2015, 14:13   #65
Nana
Walk without rhythm

In the first or second episode that line is read in the Bible, and the altered phrase is written on each film.

I do wonder, like Radiohead, why you trudged through 10 hours when it was obvious from your posts you were deeply unhappy with the first couple of episodes.

Have you ever before been truly unhappy with a show and progressed to love it? I've never had a complete reversal of opinion and would avoid something I found so completely irritating as you seemed to in the first few episodes.

It takes all sorts, but as has been said, for me life is too short, unless as with this show, I enjoyed every minute.

Last edited by Nana; 29-11-2015 at 14:14.
Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:35   #66
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
In the first or second episode that line is read in the Bible, and the altered phrase is written on each film.

I do wonder, like Radiohead, why you trudged through 10 hours when it was obvious from your posts you were deeply unhappy with the first couple of episodes.

Have you ever before been truly unhappy with a show and progressed to love it? I've never had a complete reversal of opinion and would avoid something I found so completely irritating as you seemed to in the first few episodes.

It takes all sorts, but as has been said, for me life is too short, unless as with this show, I enjoyed every minute.
I watched the 1st episode, saw an "alternate reality" movie, and make the mistake in thinking this was going be expanded upon (characters perhaps flipping between alternate universes, some time jump/wormhole, dimensional thing that perhaps flipped to and fro over the 10 episodes.

Had I (like some here) previously read the book, and knew what this was about and what the film meant (which I did not as this was the 1st I'd ever seen or heard of this) then I'd not have been waiting for this Sci/Fi? Twist mixed in with it to happen.

As I did say.
I had just literally a week beforehand finished watching all 5 seasons of Fringe (3 episodes every day) a real Marathon Fringe watching session, and there is an "Alternate Universe" in Fringe with character and event jumping across from one reality to the next.

Given that I had just finished watching this a week earlier.
THEN I saw episode one of "The man in the high castle" and the very 1st episode showed them watching a film of an "Alternate Universe"
I think you can understand why my expectations were incorrect.

Those here, who know the book, knew, with prior knowledge, what the change to "films" in the TV show meant and what they were representing from the book. I did not have that knowledge, so took them on face value.

Warning: Spoilers in this link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740299/...5?ref_=tt_bd_2

Last edited by Tempest; 29-11-2015 at 15:24.
Old 29-11-2015, 17:00   #67
alsemail
Bibble....

I'm 6 episodes in and I'm gripped. It's quite terrifying at times to see and think about "what could have been"
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 17:04   #68
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
I'm 6 episodes in and I'm gripped. It's quite terrifying at times to see and think about "what could have been"
Agree completely. But it's only going to have that kind of impact on those who know what actually happened in Germany / Europe in the 1930s/40s.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 17:05   #69
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

So because Fringe had a plot device you assumed the same was true of this. Jesus.

I haven't read the book and it's really not hard to work out what's going on.
Old 29-11-2015, 17:14   #70
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
So because Fringe had a plot device you assumed the same was true of this. Jesus.

I haven't read the book and it's really not hard to work out what's going on.
Well, of course I did not assume this was going to be Fringe2

But start episode one of something off, with the characters viewing an "Alternate Universe" and one could be mistaken for thinking this may be a key aspect to the story.

Likewise, I know they were horrid times, evil Nazi's etc etc, but I was hoping that the "Alternate Universe" shown in the 1st episode was going to turn out to be more than what it was at the end.

If I'd read the book, I would have understood the change, or if the film had kept more to the book, I would not have had those false expectations.

Seem like we had the film makers who knew they book, thought they would change things and be clever, which threw those who knew nothing, potentially down the wrong path.

I actually liked the German guy (Smith), he seemed the most likeable guy in the film who actually has a personality and smiled!
Is that wrong? The resistance seemed to be the miserable lived trouble makers.

Last edited by Tempest; 29-11-2015 at 17:35.
Old 29-11-2015, 17:55   #71
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest
Is that wrong?
You should start a chapter of the Horley Nazi party. I'm sure all your Jewish neighbours and people of non-Aryan descent will be first to join you.

It would be all smiles then.

I don't know if you're a sad little troll or just plain weird, but it's not normal.

Last edited by alsemail; 29-11-2015 at 18:04.
Old 29-11-2015, 18:05   #72
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

Smith is definitely one of the good guys eh. As long as someone smiles as they cut your throat.
Old 29-11-2015, 18:05   #73
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

I had my post removed for suggesting where Tempest's political loyalties lie... I'll let people draw their own conclusions.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 18:05   #74
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
You should start a chapter of the Horley Nazi party.

I'm sure it would be all smiles round your way.

You really are quite odd or just a sad little troll.
Honestly never a troll. Just say what I see.
As I said way back at the beginning who knows what 50 or 100, or 200 years on from a German Victory would be.
It's obvious you need the cooperation of the general public to get the most benefit from them.
Constant war time Nazi type controls are only a short term thing, never long term as things settle down. Who do you fight, when everyone is on your side?
It just becomes the norm.
Unfortunately we never can see how the world would be different, long tem given different past events.
It would certainty be vastly different from what some are speculating as they are too small minded.
Who is to say what we have now is the right/best for humanity?
We now are pretty much working against nature in every way possible. Is that good?
Are we now right to change the way things work after millions? of year of being one way, we not think we know better.

Do we ?

Back on Topic.
Enjoyed the series, but wish they had stuck more to the book which would have helped the understanding of what the author originally had in mind.
Old 29-11-2015, 18:07   #75
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

What the actual **** are you talking about.
Old 29-11-2015, 18:07   #76
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Smith is definitely one of the good guys eh. As long as someone smiles as they cut your throat.
I shall put that down to an error of the movie makers in showing him as a guy with a nice family life, who is loyal to his leader and the resistance as the miserable ones trying to undermine things.

Not my view, but they way the film maker portrays things.

Can the resistance ever smile I wonder?
Old 29-11-2015, 18:09   #77
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

Nice family life. With children indoctrinated into evil and a wife bewildered by her life.

But hey. As long as they smile.

This is mental.
Old 29-11-2015, 18:16   #78
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Nice family life. With children indoctrinated into evil and a wife bewildered by her life.

But hey. As long as they smile.

This is mental.
Evil?
This is just a manufactured term.
Perhaps sitting at a desk, flying a drone, like a coward, and killing people like we do now in a foreign country is evil ?

Who is to say?

All depends where you are born of course.
If you "Radiohead" had your wife and children killed by an American flying a drone from the comport of a "games console" thousands of miles away, then you may think differently about such things.

But I fear you can't
War is nasty, and it should remain nasty so no one wants it.

Just makes me sad, BIG TIME that we can't all just get along with each other.
I would LOVE the world to be all on the same side.
Wish, so much all the evil in this world would end.

But I'm not dumb enough to pretend that WE in the west are not as "evil" as anyone.
Old 29-11-2015, 18:17   #79
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post

Can the resistance ever smile I wonder?
Could you knowing every single day might be the day they find out you're part Jewish, that you have a bible in your drawer because you're a true believer, that you know your neighbour is hiding a coloured person in their basement and you've been giving them food?

Or would you let them starve and report them because you're a true believer in the New Order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post

Just makes me sad, BIG TIME that we can't all just get along with each other.
It would be easy to get along once the Nazis exterminated everyone else who didn't fit their racial and moral doctrine.

Last edited by alsemail; 29-11-2015 at 18:21.
Old 29-11-2015, 18:17   #80
alsemail
Bibble....

Double Post.

Last edited by alsemail; 29-11-2015 at 18:19.