Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 27-11-2015, 23:51   #41
Tempest
Trusted User

As I say I'm at episode 4.

Perhaps the mistake I'm making is that I'm thinking the movie is about the film and I want that aspect of the move to get into gear. Watched the last hour and I think the film aspect has barely moved on since the last hour, or even the hour before that.

As I say, perhaps I'm expecting something that's not going to happen, so all the padding and drama IS the story.

I'm not going to speak of any details in this thread of course as I know others are watching it like me, nor do I want any spoilers myself.

I just hope I don't get to the end and what I think "IS" the interesting bit (the film) is not going to turn out to be as exciting as I hoped.

Was a bit puzzled by the comments re the tyre change and sandwich scene though, seemed fine to me.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 23:56   #42
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

That's because you didn't understand it.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 23:58   #43
Tempest
Trusted User

To be honest, I think just having spent the last (LOT) of weeks watching all five seasons on FRINGE in a marathon viewing session of perhaps 3 episodes a day constantly, which was fast paced, and had this very strong "Alternate Universe" theme running all the way through it.

Then, this series with the (potential) Alternate World. I may be mentally jumping the gun here with my expectation/meaning of this mystery film in the High Castle movie.
Old 27-11-2015, 23:59   #44
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
That's because you didn't understand it.
Please explain the scene to me. I'd appreciate your take on it.

Nice friendly/homely cop, helping a guy out, and some ash falling from the local you know what.

what else am I missing?

Last edited by Tempest; 28-11-2015 at 00:14.
Old 28-11-2015, 09:23   #45
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

It's quite clearly ash from an extermination camp. He glosses over it because that's exactly what Germans living close to the camps did. Pretend it's not happening because I don't want to end up there. So that reference to something that actually happened not that long ago suggests we're were all close to living near one had they won.

You'd have to be spectacularly uninformed about the holocaust to not realise that.

And I'm totally baffled by the suggestion that anything about a Nazi world would have been anything but utterly awful.

Last edited by Radiohead; 28-11-2015 at 09:25.
Radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 09:29   #46
rustybin

It's hard to know where to begin.
Old 28-11-2015, 11:27   #47
Tempest
Trusted User

Just about to start Episode 6.

I'm feeling part of my "not entirely happy with this so far" is perhaps not the book/story but the way it's been shot/directed.
Even in the worst times of war and slavery people do actually smile, and act like normal human beings from time to time. It's all the no one dare smile, act gloomy every second of the day and let's constantly pull frowning faces at every opportunity that's getting to me rather.
But I know this is the production of this movie as opposed to the story itself. It feels a bit unrealistic.

Last edited by Tempest; 28-11-2015 at 11:37.
Old 28-11-2015, 11:39   #48
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

I don't want to read through the thread, as I haven't started this yet, but has anyone read the book - and how does it compare?

I was thinking of reading it first. My missus currently is and is finding it a bit dense. As we're now on Kindle share, I figured I might give it a go soon.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 11:43   #49
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

It's a story. Of course it's unrealistic. This means you need the willing suspension of disbelief.

It's hard to aim for historical accuracy for something that didn't happen.

Beats me why you'd continue watching something you're not happy with.
Old 28-11-2015, 11:49   #50
rustybin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
I don't want to read through the thread, as I haven't started this yet, but has anyone read the book - and how does it compare?

I was thinking of reading it first. My missus currently is and is finding it a bit dense. As we're now on Kindle share, I figured I might give it a go soon.
I found the book quite complex and will give it a second reading once I've finished the TV series. There's a book within a book...and 'other' stuff going on structure-wise which makes it more complicated still. So there are at least two different alternative histories going on, running in parallel.

The TV show is far more straight-forward so far. Unless you're Tempest.
Old 28-11-2015, 12:01   #51
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
It's a story. Of course it's unrealistic. This means you need the willing suspension of disbelief.

It's hard to aim for historical accuracy for something that didn't happen.

Beats me why you'd continue watching something you're not happy with.
I simply mean unrealistic, not with regards to the story of course, I mean about how humans generally are in life.
It would be perhaps more human if people were more natural, just from time to time.
I can imagine....

"Ok, quiet on the set, this is going to be a take.. Everyone start to frown and pull a miserable face......... And........ ACTION"

I'm sticking with it as I want to find out about this mystery film. (who makes them/where they come from etc.)
Just wish the actors were portrayed as a little more human as humans really are, that's all.
I'm sure this book is probably better in this respect as you, the reader will impart a certain degree of "human normality" into the character as you read the story as opposed to the on-screen portrayal.

Last edited by Tempest; 28-11-2015 at 12:12.
Old 28-11-2015, 12:16   #52
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
So there are at least two different alternative histories going on, running in parallel.
Now, THAT'S the interesting bit I want to get into.
Was shown/hinted at strongly in episode 1 (looked like it was going to be good)
But watched 5 hours more so far and not really moved on with regards it, or found anything more about that side of things.

Very much hoping it picks up soon as feels like a lot of padding.

Last edited by Tempest; 28-11-2015 at 12:18.
Old 28-11-2015, 13:16   #53
alsemail
Bibble....

I think you're spot on Tempest. If only they'd made it into a musical and all the people heading into the gas chamber could do it with a realistic song and dance number.

You're halfway through it. It's pretty obvious you're not going to like it or enjoy it.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 13:34   #54
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

You should visit Auschwitz, Tempest. It's a truly humbling experience.
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 13:38   #55
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
I think you're spot on Tempest. If only they'd made it into a musical and all the people heading into the gas chamber could do it with a realistic song and dance number.

You're halfway through it. It's pretty obvious you're not going to like it or enjoy it.
now that's being silly.
I know this is a serious movie, it would just be nice to have perhaps shown people do still have lives, so have a smile, and do have the moments of happiness, the odd laugh with each other even in the worst of times to add the touch of humanity about it. Not grumpy face frown every single second of every single day. And that does not mean a song and dance.

Am I half way? It said season 1, so I did actually wonder if it was to go on longer. I'm going to stick with it now of course
Old 28-11-2015, 14:27   #56
mamboboy
Legend

Wasn't drawn in by the first episode but the second was much better. I can see why the allies lost though after that scene where the high ranking officer gets cornered by 5-6 rebels with submachine guns yet gets out alive with his pistol and a handful of bullets

Also, why do a lot of the high ranking nazis seem to have American accents? I know it's been 20 years, but you'd still expect them to be Germans, surely?
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 14:34   #57
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamboboy View Post
Wasn't drawn in by the first episode but the second was much better. I can see why the allies lost though after that scene where the high ranking officer gets cornered by 5-6 rebels with submachine guns yet gets out alive with his pistol and a handful of bullets
Indeed yes, there have been a couple of Unbelievably Baddie manages to get away moments, and like you said, load of rebels, machines guns, and yet, they miss him (you have to laugh) or sigh. but then that is par for the course with many films in general.
Pretty much like in the Bond films where the baddie could kill bond, but rather set's up some elaborate slow winded device, and then tells bond of his evil plans, before letting him escape

Again, I'm sure this, and most of my gripes are with this movie production and direction, like super women who can crash a car at high speed with no seat belts or air bags into a tree and just gets a scratch on the forehead

Sure the book will be far better as it will allow the reader to construct a far more believable image in his or her mind, than what this director has decided to do with the story for us.
Old 28-11-2015, 23:46   #58
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamboboy View Post
Also, why do a lot of the high ranking nazis seem to have American accents? I know it's been 20 years, but you'd still expect them to be Germans, surely?

As with any nation that was gripped by facism during that period, it was embraced by those that used it to further themselves and to gain power over others.
Also to help the integration or assimilation of America it would be effective to rapidly promote those that went out of their way to prove themselves to the Nazi party and the Fuhrer.

It's obvious the Obergruppenfuhrer is American not just by his accent but his name is Smith and not Schmidt/Schmied etc.

Last edited by alsemail; 29-11-2015 at 00:31.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:34   #59
Tempest
Trusted User

Well managed to get to the (as feared disappointing end of it - Actually worse than I'd feared for an ending)

Not much to say other than I agree with quite a few reviews I've read just after watching it.
May as well watch Episode 1 and 10 and skip the 8 hours of padding in between those two.

Just constantly annoyed me how these two characters (the guy and that stupid women) were over the entire period able to pretty much walk anywhere and go anywhere and get away with it the the entire length of the film.

I stuck it out, THEN read some comments from others, and they said you may as well just watch episodes 1 and 10, as you won't miss anything much of any real meaning to the movie.
Old 29-11-2015, 12:38   #60
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

Here's an idea. Next time you get a couple of hours in an don't like something sack it off. Life too short for this.