Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 05-08-2015, 20:53   #981
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,343 Times in 715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle View Post
Glad I rolled back to 8.1 as my work places Citrix/remote connection does not support Windows 10 (especially as there is another tube strike tomorrow)

Sent from my OnePlus One
Install the new version of Citrix Receiver.... ?

http://www.citrix.com/go/receiver.html
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 21:31   #982
ian turner
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
Well this is a bit annoying, got back off holiday and today got around to checking if my machines had got the update.

The W7 laptop I don't use much got it straight away, but my desktop which I use all the time is still waiting!
What mjr said, download the media creation tool and choose to install immediately. Given that it had already downloaded on my pc and failed an install attempt (missing files in the download) without sight of an email. Though I've had to do a second install as the first one left me without access to my nas drives due to mangled network files that fouled up the netbios functionality used to id the drives.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 21:34   #983
Tempest
Trusted User

You may recall, my views on the new EDGE browser, which I'm still using, and sticking with, despite going back to Chrome would be an easy option, and much quicker to use. But I'm TRYING

One of my complaints was the waste of space for the favourites/bookmarks, so spaced out on a desktop screen, well seems not just me, and we have an official answer for the time being:

Jim134 asked on August 3, 2015See post history

The 2 line favorites take up too much space. I believe it could be toggled off in IE8 . Any way to do it in Edge?

Karthicka_R replied on August 4, 2015See post history
Microsoft
Support Engineer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

There is not option to change the 2 line favorites to just 1 line in Edge Browser.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Jim134 replied on August 4, 2015See post history

ReplyIn reply to Karthicka_R's post on August 4, 2015

Not what I had hoped to hear, but thank you for your reply. Maybe it can be added in a future update of features.

Oh well, let's hope it's something they sort out soon.
Does may me wonder about designers/programmers etc.
One presumes they must have nice PC's to work on, BIG screens, getting the look and feel right, and of course, having meetings about it all.

At no point did anyone say "This is all very spaced out on our screens"

Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 21:54   #984
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
You may recall, my views on the new EDGE browser, which I'm still using, and sticking with, despite going back to Chrome would be an easy option, and much quicker to use. But I'm TRYING

One of my complaints was the waste of space for the favourites/bookmarks, so spaced out on a desktop screen, well seems not just me, and we have an official answer for the time being:

Jim134 asked on August 3, 2015See post history

The 2 line favorites take up too much space. I believe it could be toggled off in IE8 . Any way to do it in Edge?

Karthicka_R replied on August 4, 2015See post history
Microsoft
Support Engineer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

There is not option to change the 2 line favorites to just 1 line in Edge Browser.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Jim134 replied on August 4, 2015See post history

ReplyIn reply to Karthicka_R's post on August 4, 2015

Not what I had hoped to hear, but thank you for your reply. Maybe it can be added in a future update of features.

Oh well, let's hope it's something they sort out soon.
Does may me wonder about designers/programmers etc.
One presumes they must have nice PC's to work on, BIG screens, getting the look and feel right, and of course, having meetings about it all.

At no point did anyone say "This is all very spaced out on our screens"

Official lines of support from such companies is universally abysmal. You simply can not have a conservation with anything approaching a human being any more. It's always a generic response which isn't helpful.. then they ask if that was helpful.

As for the massive spacing.. it's the new 'design language' everything seems to have these days. As little on screen at once with as much scrolling as possible. Android is almost ruined by it. At least on the gmail website you can change to compact or 'high density'. On my phone I can see a total of 5 emails at once on a 1080p resolution screen. It's maddening.

Books and general blocks of text has been 'high density' or 'correct density' for millennia.. now apparently it's a problem... or everything is now designed for the elderly??
Old 05-08-2015, 21:58   #985
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian turner View Post
What mjr said, download the media creation tool and choose to install immediately. Given that it had already downloaded on my pc and failed an install attempt (missing files in the download) without sight of an email. Though I've had to do a second install as the first one left me without access to my nas drives due to mangled network files that fouled up the netbios functionality used to id the drives.
Thanks.

I'm sure this has been covered earlier in the thread, or could be found with some googling, but would forcing it this way still enable the 'upgrade' option? I want to try that and see how everything works before needing to go to a clean install. I've got a pretty busy summer and don't fancy having to reinstall all my programs again.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 22:00   #986
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Official lines of support from such companies is universally abysmal. You simply can not have a conservation with anything approaching a human being any more. It's always a generic response which isn't helpful.. then they ask if that was helpful.

As for the massive spacing.. it's the new 'design language' everything seems to have these days. As little on screen at once with as much scrolling as possible. Android is almost ruined by it. At least on the gmail website you can change to compact or 'high density'. On my phone I can see a total of 5 emails at once on a 1080p resolution screen. It's maddening.

Books and general blocks of text has been 'high density' or 'correct density' for millennia.. now apparently it's a problem... or everything is now designed for the elderly??
As I said previously....
I do "get it" with the new double spacing for small touch screen laptops and tablets. It makes perfect sense not to cram everything together when you have to use a finger tip on say a 10" or 12" screen.
I'm more than happy with the logic here.

The question is, why is there not the blindingly obvious option (in settings) to select a much closer spacing for large screen desktop users.
As they say, such a thing ain't rocket science, and the design team MUST of noticed this, and someone said we need it to be different for the desktop/mouse user.

As EDGE is brand new, I do of course hope that, this will be sorted out, as there must now be a ton of people giving them feedback about obvious issues such as this one.
Old 05-08-2015, 22:05   #987
mjr
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
Thanks.

I'm sure this has been covered earlier in the thread, or could be found with some googling, but would forcing it this way still enable the 'upgrade' option? I want to try that and see how everything works before needing to go to a clean install. I've got a pretty busy summer and don't fancy having to reinstall all my programs again.
It will tell you what it's going to keep during the process, so it will confirm that it's doing an upgrade. Just make sure you have done the reservation on the PC, to make sure you get the upgrade license and activation - doesn't matter then that the install comes via this tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
As EDGE is brand new, I do of course hope that, this will be sorted out, as there must now be a ton of people giving them feedback about obvious issues such as this one.
There is an app called Feedback installed in Windows 10 - that will probably get better attention from the right people than their forums, where the "official" responses mostly exist of boilerplate responses.

Last edited by mjr; 05-08-2015 at 22:16.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 22:15   #988
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
If W8.1 was activated, just skip the requests for the new code. I got a couple when I did it but the install finished OK

It is activated, but there's no option to skip putting in a code. You either put one on or cancel the install.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 22:16   #989
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post

There should be an app called Feedback installed in Windows 10 - that will probably get better attention from the right people than their forums, where the "official" responses mostly exist of boilerplate responses.
Ok, done that.
I know my voice is just one insignificant one in millions, but if enough people use the EDGE feedback option and ask for a "options switch" in EDGE's settings to change from the current double spacing, to single spacing, then perhaps they may do it.
So the more people the more chance I guess.
Old 05-08-2015, 22:46   #990
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
There is an app called Feedback installed in Windows 10 - that will probably get better attention from the right people than their forums, where the "official" responses mostly exist of boilerplate responses.
There is.. it's on the insider builds.

I left feedback in October last year on an early build and it was the highest up-voted feedback on the entire W10 feedback system until last month or so.

I think it's now at 3000 ish votes.

They have marked it as 'acknowledged' as well. As, in MS have seen it and taken action.

So you can make a difference people.

Just not by emailing any of the bots that answer questions and talk to you like you an idiot.
Thanked once by:
mjr (05-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 01:18   #991
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
It is activated, but there's no option to skip putting in a code. You either put one on or cancel the install.
There is, it's just not obvious, it doesn't look like a button, it's just a tiny bit of text on the left of the screen saying Do this Later. Click there.

Last edited by Mevlock; 06-08-2015 at 01:25.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:16   #992
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,067 Posts
That's good feedback. Device manager in particular. I realised just how old that is on my Dell XPS 13. It has a small hi-res screen so uses scaling and Device Manager looks absolutely awful on it unlike most of the Windows UI which scales fine.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:56   #993
Tempest
Trusted User

I've thought that for years and years, Never understood why they never made the more back end stuff more up to date, even it's the dam icons with a bit of UI modernising, just the "visuals" of if.

They fiddle/tweak/adjust the front end, and do pretty much nothing to the icons and look just a few clicks away.

I mean, how many billion do they have they they can't pay a couple of graphics designers to remake icons for their main item they make "Windows"
Ok, I know getting icons "in place" may require a little work, but over many years and with their money, you'd think they'd try.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:13   #994
allan
Trusted User

My biggest complaint about 10 is the half arsed approach Microsoft have taken. The settings window should be all or nothing. As it is every so often you still have to go into control panel to do things. Either get rid of control panel and have everything in settings or get rid of settings and return to control panel.

It stinks of 10 being released half done.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:53   #995
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
My biggest complaint about 10 is the half arsed approach Microsoft have taken. The settings window should be all or nothing. As it is every so often you still have to go into control panel to do things. Either get rid of control panel and have everything in settings or get rid of settings and return to control panel.

Setting a Date to start or release something before its all finished/Tested/agreed and all signed off is never a good idea.

Everytime I watch the advert,I just want to puke...
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:08   #996
allan
Trusted User

Indeed.

Also if you try and use the system image backup/restore it's a complete mess as well, a mixture of old and new. The restore USB it creates also makes you click through pages of available languages rather than just a drop down list like Windows 7 (not sure if this is a 10 specific thing though or if 8/8.1 was the same?).
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:19   #997
Jim989
GoldMember

I'm hating the inconsistant scrolling. For example, 2 finger scrolling works in webbrowsers but doesn't work in any of the settings menus. Annoying!
Jim989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:25   #998
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Maybe MS are thinking if people complain then they can say..'Well its Free,what did you expect'
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:26   #999
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
There is.. it's on the insider builds.

I left feedback in October last year on an early build and it was the highest up-voted feedback on the entire W10 feedback system until last month or so.

I think it's now at 3000 ish votes.

They have marked it as 'acknowledged' as well. As, in MS have seen it and taken action.

So you can make a difference people.

Just not by emailing any of the bots that answer questions and talk to you like you an idiot.
That was you I remember reading that when I was browsing the feedback app.

Quote:

They will eventually migrate everything, it is much better then the situation we had with Win 8. For regular users everything is in the settings menu. It is just a question of resources and time.

If they held it back until everything was done it would probably have taken years. They have a nice stable foundation to work on, and unlike previously where you would get a SP once a year you will now get updates a few times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim989 View Post
I'm hating the inconsistant scrolling. For example, 2 finger scrolling works in webbrowsers but doesn't work in any of the settings menus. Annoying!
On my laptop I can scroll using 2 fingers pretty much anywhere including the settings menu.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:34   #1000
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,067 Posts
Quote:

Did you have 8? It was the same. But less so. If 10's control panel is half done - 8 was quarter done. Seems to be something they're taking a long term view over.
target is offline   Reply With Quote