Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 20-07-2020, 07:29   #2921
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Studio drivers ... have a slower release schedule ... The game update channel puts out releases more often because they include optimisations for specific game releases.
yes, and that's what was surprising in my particular case - I updated to the latest driver (451.67) and then noticed I was set for 'Game', so switched to 'Studio' and was immediately offered 451.77. Hence me thinking out loud if that .1 release bump was the Win10 update fix.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 19:40   #2922
Shingster
Trusted User

Got my update notice about a week ago, went to installe version 2004 today, set it going and went away from the PC for a couple of hours. When I returned there was a blue screen saying "your PC has ran into some problems, we are compiling error information and will restart for you" then restarted, checked my version of windows: 1909.

So yeah, brilliant microsoft. How the **** am I supposed to install your update now?

Number of times I've ever had a major update to windows actually work with no issues: 0

Still zero after all these years and all these miscrosoft operating systems.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 20:45   #2923
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,343 Times in 715 Posts
What PC do you have?
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 20:58   #2924
Shingster
Trusted User

Custom built, I freed up some disk space and tried again and it is now installed. Don't know if that had any effect though as I have 62GB free on my first attempt, then freed it up to 123GB free on my HD for the 2nd attempt.

However, as I strongly suspected, updating to version 2004 has done nothing to my task bar right click issues. At this point I am completely convinced this is a permanent issue that is impossible to fix, even if I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows I guarantee windows will re-install with a ****** task bar.
Old 20-07-2020, 21:22   #2925
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Custom built, I freed up some disk space and tried again and it is now installed. Don't know if that had any effect though as I have 62GB free on my first attempt, then freed it up to 123GB free on my HD for the 2nd attempt.

However, as I strongly suspected, updating to version 2004 has done nothing to my task bar right click issues. At this point I am completely convinced this is a permanent issue that is impossible to fix, even if I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows I guarantee windows will re-install with a ****** task bar.
So doing the update consumed 62GB of space?

Updating will clone your c:\Windows folder and back it up.. that what it replaces if you choose to roll back an update. A 62GB windows folder is enormous.

Do you know how far your windows install dates back to?

I remember your taskbar woes.. did we ask what chipset and GPU you have?

Do you have this turned on by chance?

Turn that off.

.. and set this to performance..

Old 20-07-2020, 23:06   #2926
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,025 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Custom built, I freed up some disk space and tried again and it is now installed. Don't know if that had any effect though as I have 62GB free on my first attempt, then freed it up to 123GB free on my HD for the 2nd attempt(
My C Drive is only 100GB in total. It has 30GB left now, I cleared out the 2004 update files (Previous version of Windows) at the weekend.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 23:51   #2927
Shingster
Trusted User

I'm on 116GB for my C drive myself. My last post was stating that when I attempted my vfirst install of the 2004 update I had about 62GB of free space on the drive, then expanded that to 123GB free before my 2nd attempt of installing 2004. 2nd attempt worked, no idea if freeing up more than 62GB of space had anything to do with it.

My windows folder is 22.9GB and windows.old folder is 28.4GB.

My PC was high end back when I built it, but it's more than powerful enough today to run windows glitch-free. This was an issue that occured overnight and has proven impossible to solve.

GPU is an Nvidia 980ti
CPU is 4770K, no overclocking (always intended to, never got round to it).
ASUS Maximus VI Motherboard

Turning off transparency effects does nothing and switching to "best performance" just screws up the look of text on my screen. Neither combination of these two settings off/on has any effect on the task bar issue.

The only time I have a fully working task bar that I can right click on without it perma freezing into always on top mode is in Safe mode. In Safe Mode my copy of windows is glitch free.
Old 21-07-2020, 00:15   #2928
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,689 Times in 571 Posts
Windows Update hasn't even offered me it yet.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 00:38   #2929
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:

The only time I have a fully working task bar that I can right click on without it perma freezing into always on top mode is in Safe mode. In Safe Mode my copy of windows is glitch free.
.. ah right, works fine in safe mode means it's a driver or software you are running then.. something has gotten corrupted somewhere over the years.

I'd say just do a fresh re-install of 2004 and be done with it.

Download Windows 10 media creation tool, create new USB stick with 2004. Swap out for a blank SSD if you've got a spare. Keep your current drive to the side. Make sure you are in uefi bios boot mode before you run the windows installer and it will install using GPT rather than MBR disc partitions.
Thanked once by:
Shingster (22-07-2020)
Old 21-07-2020, 00:39   #2930
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Windows Update hasn't even offered me it yet.
Try uninstalling OneDrive, as they mention in the video above..... that's a weird one if it works.
Thanked once by:
The Bear (21-07-2020)
Old 21-07-2020, 06:58   #2931
LV426
Trusted User

Quote:
....it's a driver or software you are running then..
I'd agree this is most likely. And even if the install has worked, you may well get further BSODs as you use it.

In my case, I had similar issues with earlier Win10 updates on one of my machines, with either failed (BSOD) installs or BSODs afterwards. It transpired in my case that it was some residual drivers for an uninstalled App (ArcSoft Total Media Theatre). I eventually tracked it down after a LOT of googling and fixed it by removing three references to a couple of ArcSoft *.sys files in the registry and deleting the files themsleves. Touch wood - it's now stable, and the 2004 update "took" without issue.

@Shingster Clearly, I can't say what to look for on your system - but very broadly, that's the sort of thing that may well be getting in your way.
LV426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Shingster (22-07-2020)
Old 22-07-2020, 03:10   #2932
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah my only hope is a fresh install, but can't be arsed going through that abject horror right now, maybe later in the year!
Old 22-07-2020, 07:52   #2933
scoobyood
Tony Danza

The fear of the reinstall. Tis a thing.

I did a reinstall in March as I got stuck on an insider build and couldn't stop the daily updates. My install of windows was a couple years old but I think I was up and running with 90% of stuff in an hour. It's not too bad these days, browser profiles sync, password manager first thing to install, all important files are in OneDrive, the rest and games etc are on separate drives. The only drivers that you need to bother with are the chipset drivers and the Nvidia GPU drivers.
Old 24-07-2020, 20:44   #2934
mjr
Trusted User

The two machines I mentioned that wouldn't previously upgrade managed to install 2004 successfully via the Windows Update Assistant tool this week. I had tried that tool before and only tried again as a colleague mentioned Microsoft had changed the compatibility criteria a couple of days after the last Patch Tuesday, presumably as they'd fixed some more bugs and/or were responding to install telemetry.

Last edited by mjr; 24-07-2020 at 20:45.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 00:27   #2935
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,689 Times in 571 Posts
Is there anything noticeable or worth getting it for?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 01:40   #2936
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
The fear of the reinstall. Tis a thing.

I did a reinstall in March as I got stuck on an insider build and couldn't stop the daily updates. My install of windows was a couple years old but I think I was up and running with 90% of stuff in an hour. It's not too bad these days, browser profiles sync, password manager first thing to install, all important files are in OneDrive, the rest and games etc are on separate drives. The only drivers that you need to bother with are the chipset drivers and the Nvidia GPU drivers.
Indeed, it's little things like worrying about my motherboard fan controller software (AiSuite) which has never been properly supported by ASUS so it doesn't work great with windows 10 anymore unless I download specific versions of it, plus I have a large archive of important emails that I will essentially lose because whenever you import saved email files into Outlook they import without the original sender and date information (which is completely ******* moronic, but that's Microsoft for you). I'll get round to it eventually I guess!
Old 25-07-2020, 06:54   #2937
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,200 Posts
Quote:
Indeed, it's little things like worrying about my motherboard fan controller software (AiSuite) which has never been properly supported by ASUS so it doesn't work great with windows 10 anymore unless I download specific versions of it, plus I have a large archive of important emails that I will essentially lose because whenever you import saved email files into Outlook they import without the original sender and date information (which is completely ******* moronic, but that's Microsoft for you). I'll get round to it eventually I guess!
I don't use Outlook anymore so maybe things have changed but I have a bunch of old Outlook 2007 .pst files that work fine. Exported to .pst file, I don't 'import' them, just open (Open, Outlook Date File in the File menu) and they appear as a separate 'personal folder' under Mail Folders and everything is intact. This is in Outlook 2007.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Shingster (25-07-2020)
Old 25-07-2020, 07:20   #2938
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Or you can just copy C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook to the new computer before you install office. Nothing will have changed when you load Outlook on new machine.

More details.. https://community.spiceworks.com/top...d-outlook-data

Quote:
Indeed, it's little things like worrying about my motherboard fan controller software (AiSuite) which has never been properly supported by ASUS so it doesn't work great with windows 10 anymore
This is probably the cause of your issue.... I had a 3770K a couple years ago, that came with the same 'AiSuite'.. it's total garbage. Set your fan curves once in your bios and then you don't have to run additional software all the time.

Like I said... just do a bare Windows install, just install chipset drivers and GPU drivers. Get them from Intel/AMD/Nvidia's website, you shouldn't don't need any Asus version of these drivers or any of their software on your system. You 'might' need some device drivers required for a third party SATA controller or something. But, just install the drivers for those, you don't need anything else. You don't technically need the chipset and GPU drivers, because given the age of your system they'll probably all be in Windows anyway. But, GPU is fine to keep more current and Intel update chipset very regularly. Basically.. if there's nothing unknown in device manager right after install of Windows.... you are done.

Last edited by scoobyood; 25-07-2020 at 07:26.
Thanked once by:
Shingster (25-07-2020)
Old 25-07-2020, 10:27   #2939
mjr
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Is there anything noticeable or worth getting it for?
I needed WSL2 (Windows Subsystem for Linux) for some development work and that was the main difference for me:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/wsl2-about

Outside of that I would struggle to tell you the difference from 1909 from a usability perspective, though I've only had it a couple of days. I think Cortana has been changed in scope to be more of a business productivity thing rather than some of the consumer stuff it did, but I never used Cortana anyway.

Last edited by mjr; 25-07-2020 at 10:29.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 14:39   #2940
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedaa View Post
I don't use Outlook anymore so maybe things have changed but I have a bunch of old Outlook 2007 .pst files that work fine. Exported to .pst file, I don't 'import' them, just open (Open, Outlook Date File in the File menu) and they appear as a separate 'personal folder' under Mail Folders and everything is intact. This is in Outlook 2007.
CHeers Dave, will try that when I eventually get round to reinstalling. I've got a bunch of old emails from previous reinstalls sitting on my hard drive but they're not pst, they're all saved as msg files, which are completely ******* useless and I really don't understand why Microsoft saw fit to ever let Outlook save as that format if you can't open them back up in the software with the original Date and Title/Sender info in tact. I don't understand how any company that develops an email software cannot understand that the Date and Sender info is ******* crucial to important emails like invoices and whatnot.

Quote:
Or you can just copy C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook to the new computer before you install office. Nothing will have changed when you load Outlook on new machine.

More details.. https://community.spiceworks.com/top...d-outlook-data
Thanks, will look into it.

Quote:
This is probably the cause of your issue.... I had a 3770K a couple years ago, that came with the same 'AiSuite'.. it's total garbage. Set your fan curves once in your bios and then you don't have to run additional software all the time.
I'm not sure operating with a fan curve in the BIOS is gonna souit my needs, it's both a home theatre and gaming PC so the ability to switch fan speeds oin the fly is pretty crucial to me. AISuite used to run rock solid for years, but as Win10 started updating it eventually just stopped loading up so I had to upgrade to a new version, except ASUS weren't supporting it anymore so the newest version was a beta. Not sure if they have gotten round to properly updating it in recent years, but probably not.