Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24-07-2015, 10:19   #101
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

BBC Alba showing the Hibs-Rangers tomorrow, might catch it to see some of these new players, how many players left from last season that are still in the Warburton's first 11?

Talk of Celtic still after the St Pauli left back Marcel Halstenberg, certainly a position we've not bought for in a while mainly due to Izzy being a solid performer but would be good to get competition for him, Mulgrew is probably a better option at backup CB rather than LB.
Old 24-07-2015, 10:20   #102
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Dot View Post
Who has the tv rights for the championship? Wouldn't mind catching a few games.
I think SKY and BT Sport both show selected games from the Scottish Championship (obviously mainly Rangers ones)
Old 24-07-2015, 10:20   #103
H Dot
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohail View Post
BBC Alba showing the Hibs-Rangers tomorrow.
Cheers
Old 24-07-2015, 14:04   #104
fothy123
Trusted User

Full list of live scottish games and what channel they are on here -
http://spfl.co.uk/tv-games/

Rangers mostly on BT Sport with the exception of the first 2 league games v Hibs, which are on Sky.

With regard to the number of players from last year playing -
For the friendly the other day Wallace, Law, Templeton and McKay all started. Wallace did fine, Law was ok in patches but reverted to type and went hiding and misplaced passes as the game went on, Templeton started well but got clattered and wasn't in the game much and McKay didn't do an awful lot. After the 60 mins mark he brought on 7 subs and Shiels, Miller, Clark, McGregor and Walsh came on and Zaliukas came on late on.

I don't see Law being first pick if/when Allan signs. Templeton has flattered to deceive for years and McKay has a chance to try and impress. Walsh came on and was very good again and I'd hope he would start ahead of McKay. The team is fairly different from last year and thats definitely not a bad thing!

Going to be an interesting game, could be quite a bad tempered affair.
Old 24-07-2015, 14:48   #105
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Hibs want £1m for Allan, I don't see Rangers offering that much (I'm not sure they have that sort of money for 1 player), probably end up signing a pre-contract in January.
Old 25-07-2015, 11:08   #106
fothy123
Trusted User

Hibs actually came out and said they want £1.5m but that figure is pie in the sky. Dundee Utd made a 250k bid 6 months ago for him and Celtic picked up GMS for £250k in January when he had 6 months of his contract left so I'd expect a value of about £300-500k to be agreed.

I can see that Hibs don't want to sell him at all but specifically they don't want to sell to us, however no other clubs are interested in signing him, the player himself has said he wants to sign for us and it's really not in their interest to keep an unhappy player who will be signing for their title rivals in January. I'm sure the guy is a solid professional and will do his best but he wouldn't want Hibs to finish above Rangers and possibly making his new team stay for another year in this league. Hibs don't have the money as they haven't had any big sales like in previous years (O'Connor/Brown/Thompson/Whittaker) so they can't afford to keep a player with value and let him leave for nothing.

The way we have conducted our transfers so far, we have not just been throwing money about like previous years. With around 30k+ season tickets sold, there is money in the bank so I think we could stretch to £1m if required but Allan with a year to go and desperate to come to us isn't worth that value.

They are also in the process of signing McGinn (ex st Mirren), McCabe (ex rangers) and McGeouch so they are clearly getting replacements in.

Team news just in, Allan is on the bench for Hibs and we are unchanged from Tuesday. Will be interesting to see if he gets on the pitch.
Old 25-07-2015, 13:28   #107
andybhoy
Trusted User

I know it's only one game, but I think we will be seeing new old firm league games next season.
Old 25-07-2015, 13:37   #108
fothy123
Trusted User

Hibs played at a high tempo in the first 30 mins but couldn't maintain it while we lasted the whole 90 mins at that speed. Some great performances and some wonderful goals from the new guys and old man Miller. Very poor home support from Hibs, stadium looked half empty.

Thought we might very well dish out a few 5/6/7 goal victories this season but didn't expect it today. I'm looking forward to actually watching us play nice football for the first time since Advocaat's days.
Old 25-07-2015, 19:51   #109
H Dot
Trusted User

That sounds good haven't had a chance to watch the game yet was at the Emirates watching the Emirates cup. Glad to hear our new boys are off the mark.
Old 26-07-2015, 01:46   #110
fothy123
Trusted User

Just back home from work and seen that Scotland and England in the same group for 2018 world cup qualifiers - game on!
Old 27-07-2015, 09:02   #111
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Didn't get a chance to watch the Hibs-Rangers game but looks promising for Rangers, certainly as I've said previously, they should come up as champions as the other rivals in the league are not that great and the Hibs result again confirms the "chokers" tag for them.

Looks like Scott Allan wants out and will probably force through a move, I would think Hibs will try to get between £500k to £750k for him now.

Got my ticket for Celtic-Qarabag game, hopefully there will be a good crowd to support the team, 48k in the last round, this round could be tougher than the final play-off round. Doubts on whether Mulgrew will be able to play as he limped off in the Rennes friendly game at the weekend.
Old 27-07-2015, 10:43   #112
fothy123
Trusted User

The Scott Allan situation is a strange one. Apparently there was a verbal agreement that he could leave if a bigger club came in for him however I can see why they don't want to sell him to us (being their rivals) however they could use the money to sign McGeouch. Hibs need to come back up this year, I don't think they will be able to afford another year without a big set of games. Their attendance at the weekend was pretty poor, I know it was only a crappy cup game but I would have thought more would have wanted to cheer their team on against their main rivals but it looked about half full.

He was pictured out for a few drinks with a few of his rangers mates last night in Glasgow so there is probably only so much that Hibs will take before they get fed up. The guy doesn't want to be there and wants to be in from the start with Warburton's side and his best mate Halliday is loving it there.

Fee wise, since nobody else is putting in any sort of bids despite Hibs trying to get him to go elsewhere then there is a bit of debate about the price. I'd say probably a little bit cheaper since nobody else is bidding. Dundee Utd put in a £250k bid in January and Celtic bids of £175k then sealed the deal for about £250k for GMS with 6 months left. GMS was playing at higher level.

I think he will come one way or another but if it's in this window then I can see Stubbs leaving as he has said several times that he isn't going anywhere so would feel he isn't being backed.

For Celtic's european game, I was looking at the draw and thought the same that the next round would potentially be harder than the last qualifying round. Have you played anyone from Azerbaijan in the past? I'd imagine you'll stick a few past them at home. I'd also think that since your team is fairly settled that Celtic will walk the league much easier this time round with Aberdeen and Hearts about 20 points behind.

Predictions -
SPL - Celtic -
Runners up - Hearts
Relegated/Playoffs - Kilmarnock + Ross County
Scottish Cup - Celtic
League Cup - Rangers
Championship - Rangers
Runners up - Hibs but promoted through playoffs
Old 27-07-2015, 11:22   #113
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Also got my ticket for Wednesday . Don't expect as big a crowd as last game as that was free on ST. Qarabag are a good team, they beat Inter at home last year and have several other good results against big teams. I'm not too confident will be a close tie.

Can't see Hearts finishing 2nd , 4th at best behind Celtic Aberdeen and Inverness, the three stand out teams from last season.
Old 27-07-2015, 11:36   #114
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fothy123 View Post
For Celtic's European game, I was looking at the draw and thought the same that the next round would potentially be harder than the last qualifying round. Have you played anyone from Azerbaijan in the past? I'd imagine you'll stick a few past them at home.
Closest we've been is Kazakhstan 2/3 seasons ago where we lost the away leg 2-0 but won 3-0 at home so I think it will be similar, hoping to see a clean sheet and a few goals scored by Celtic, even one would be enough as I feel we could score over there.

SPFL and Championship predictions for this season:

SPFL
Champions: Celtic
Runners up: Aberdeen

Remaining top 6 teams:
Inverness, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Hearts

Championship:
Champions: Rangers
Runners-up: Hibs

I've no idea who will be relegated and put into the play-off, pick any team from the bottom 6 from last season much of a likeness (apart from St Mirren obviously )
Old 27-07-2015, 11:39   #115
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Also got my ticket for Wednesday . Don't expect as big a crowd as last game as that was free on ST.
I'm pretty positive we'll see a decent crowd, I doubt the home leg will be on UK TV so hopefully that'll push fans into going to see the game at Celtic Park.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:25   #116
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Solid defensive performance in Baku last night and Celtic are into the final play-off round for the CL, guaranteed European football and a cool £15m in the bank.

From the teams we could possibly play in the play-off round I feel we have a great chance of progressing to the group stages.
Old 06-08-2015, 17:56   #117
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohail View Post
Solid defensive performance in Baku last night and Celtic are into the final play-off round for the CL, guaranteed European football and a cool £15m in the bank.

From the teams we could possibly play in the play-off round I feel we have a great chance of progressing to the group stages.
Yes , some shock results last night which shows no easy ties these days. Not sure where you got 15m from but should bring in a lot especially if we make CL group. Hopefully a lot of it will be reinvested in team.
Old 07-08-2015, 13:15   #118
fothy123
Trusted User

Malmo for Celtic in last round before the groups should be a more straight forward tie compared to the last round, certainly won't be as hot. Don't think you get guaranteed £15m, it previously was a few million for qualifying then something like £1m for a win, £500k for a draw and £250k for a loss but that may have changed. Poor but not unexpected that Celtic are again the only Scottish team left in european competition before the schools have went back.

Rangers and St Mirren kick off the championship tonight at an expected to be packed Ibrox. I was there last Sunday and there was a moment when the whole crowd were up on their feet cheering due to some lovely skills by Tavernier so hopefully more of the same tonight. Can't believe how quickly our team has transformed from being horrible to watch to exciting in such a short space of time. All the new players look good, although there has been a few moments with backpasses to the keeper who must only have a left foot as he doesn't want to use his right for anything other than standing.
Old 07-08-2015, 13:42   #119
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Malmo game will be tough they just put out seeded Salsburg who beat us last year and they qualified for group stages last year. Hammered Hibs 9-0 two years ago . But in saying that we would have took this tie at start of qualifiers.

My comment on querying the 15m figurewas to do with if we were to only get Europa League football. If we do qualify for champions league the money guaranteed is shown below 12 million Euros just for being there for starters

Prize money

As of 2015–16, UEFA awards €2 million to the play-offs winners and €3 million to the eliminated clubs in the play-off round. For reaching the group stage, UEFA awards a base fee of €12 million. A win in the groups is awarded with €1.5 million and a draw is worth €500,000. In addition, UEFA pays teams reaching the first knockout round €5.5 million, each quarter-finalist €6 million, €7 million for each semi-finalist, €10.5 million for the runners-up and €15 million for the winners.[54]

First Qualifying Round: €200,000
Second Qualifying Round: €300,000
Third Qualifying Round: €400,000
Play-offs Eliminated: €3,000,000
Play-offs Winners: €2,000,000
Base fee for group stage: €12,000,000
Group match victory: €1,500,000
Group match draw: €500,000
Round of 16: €5,500,000
Quarter-finals: €6,000,000
Semi-finals: €7,000,000
Losing finalist: €10,500,000
Winning the Final: €15,000,000
Old 07-08-2015, 16:38   #120
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Read somewhere Celtic would get £20m+ if they got into the CL group stages.

Rangers will thrash St Mirren tonight, they're horrible.
Closed Thread