Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:53   #181
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

SFA stumbling from one disaster to another though nice to see Celtic get a home game for a change
Old 05-03-2016, 17:16   #182
fothy123
Trusted User

Rangers and Dundee Utd through to the semi finals - Celtic/Morton and Hibs/ICT playing tomorrow. Draw for semi finals is being shown live on sky sport news after the final game tomorrow. Will they have made sure the balls are secured properly this time?

Rangers destroyed Dundee today and we should have won by a few more. Dundee Utd grabbing a late winner despite being down to 10 men. If the Hibs teams of the last 2 weeks turns up then ICT will win but if Hibs turn in performances similar to the majority of the season then they should be able to win. Celtic should be beating Morton by a few goals although Morton have had a few good results lately with wins over Hibs and Falkirk.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:23   #183
jamiesd
BODIE

lets hope the heated balls don't expand and open during the draw.
Old 06-03-2016, 17:25   #184
fothy123
Trusted User

No heated balls and they learned their lesson and used numbered balls.

Rangers v Celtic
Hibs/ICT v Dundee Utd

Should be a good test for us to see how many new players we need next season to compete for the league. Waghorn should be back from injury and hopefully hitting form by then.
Old 07-03-2016, 16:44   #185
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Nice wee draw for Celtic against a newly formed club in the championship
Old 07-03-2016, 20:41   #186
fothy123
Trusted User

Only 5 weeks of mischief making from the Scottish press. Will they manage to keep it up with an old firm story every day till then.. I expect so!

Talk of allocation split is 22000 for Rangers, 15000 for Celtic and 7000 for the big Celtic park banner that goes round the top deck.
Old 08-03-2016, 13:48   #187
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Now now no need to obsess over attendances...

Doesn't matter if we have 1 fan in the stadium, we'll still win over the championship club.
Old 08-03-2016, 15:57   #188
fothy123
Trusted User

As long as Ronny is still the manager then we've got a decent chance!
Old 05-04-2016, 21:16   #189
fothy123
Trusted User

Feels like a long time coming and should have been wrapped up a couple of weeks ago before silly dropped points against Falkirk, QOTS and Raith but finally confirmed as league winners tonight.

Dundee Utd lose their game in hand and still 5 behind with 6 games to go. Think they might overtake Killie and end up in the playoffs with Hibs or Falkirk.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:40   #190
ascender
Trusted User

Will be interesting to see how the playoffs shape up. I still think we could add 6 teams to the top division, ditch the nonsense split and end up with a much more competitive league.

Will also be good to see how Warburton strengthens in the summer and how his attacking, free-flowing ethos plays out in the top division.
Old 07-04-2016, 13:09   #191
fothy123
Trusted User

The clubs won't vote for a bigger top league unfortunately otherwise we would have done this. The argument used to be that they would miss out on one of their big pay days when Rangers and Celtic were playing them if it dropped to only being 1 home and 1 away fixture.

While we have been missing for the last 4 years, they have still benefited by Celtic visiting however it may have only been one anyway due to the split and this may be why there are some SPFL teams in a lot of bother financially (Dundee Utd apparently doomed when Thompson does a bunk and Killie going to struggle if relegated). On our move up through the leagues, our fans have put quite a bit of money into the banks for all the clubs we visited due to bigger than usual away attendances.

There really isn't a significant difference between the top 6 championship and those in the premier league. Falkirk, Raith, QOTS would compete with Partick, Dundee Utd, Killie and Hibs really shouldn't be in the championship either

I bet there are hardly any fans who are happy with the split and would rather go with larger leagues however the league bosses don't care about the opinions of fans. We have 42 clubs so there are a number of different options available.
Old 16-04-2016, 21:19   #192
fothy123
Trusted User

Ok admit it, who else laughed when they seen the Hibs keeper today? The guy did fantastically today and kept Hibs in the tie before saving 2 penalties. Terrible turn out from both sets of fans, 19000 in attendance for a cup semi final where both teams had an equal chance of winning it. Surely for the final then whoever wins from either Rangers or Celtic should be looking to get about 25-30000 tickets with Hibs getting about 15000 and the remainder for corporate/hospitality etc.

So on to tomorrow, been a long time coming with numerous articles from Sutton and Hartson writing Rangers off. There really isn't an awful lot of pressure on us for this one. We are missing 2 key players in Waghorn and Forrester, with the later particularly being a big loss this week. Had Forrester have been fit then I'd have fancied our chances where as now I think we will have one of Clark, Shiels or Law starting and none of them are particularly good. I don't think it will be as blood and thunder as previous encounters as we don't really have an enforcer/hardman type player but I think Brown will launch into a few lunges and it will depend on how the ref handles it. Brown against Haliday will be interesting as Haliday is a player who Celtic might be able to be wind up.

I'm going for a 2-1 win in 90 mins but I've no idea who for.
Old 16-04-2016, 21:21   #193
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,689 Times in 571 Posts
I laughed at Cummings' penalty when I saw it. What a cock.
Old 17-04-2016, 13:59   #194
fothy123
Trusted User

Superb game and totally blew away the suggestion by some that there was a gulf between the teams. Both teams played very well although we managed to play our normal domination of possession game.

Celtic should have went in at half time with the draw after that unbelievable miss with an open goal. Griffiths was kept quiet all day but could have won it with that free kick at the end. Great first goal from Miller then good equalizer after lots of pressure from Celtic at the corners. Superb goal from wee Barry but good equalizer. Players scored penalties that I didn't think would and other players missed that I'd have banked on scoring.

Celtic will be after a new manager shortly as Ronny isn't cut out for it. If that defender was fit for the bench then he should have started as he was Celtics best player, solid at the back and a huge threat at set pieces. Good performance from us given we were missing 2 first pick players, one of whom is our top scorer.

If this is what next seasons old firm games are going to be like then my nerves will be shot.

Last edited by fothy123; 17-04-2016 at 15:09.
Old 20-04-2016, 10:35   #195
fothy123
Trusted User

Ronny officially away at the end of the season now. I think it was inevitable but Sunday has just pushed the announcement forwards.

Managers being linked include Keane, Moyes, Lennon, Stubbs, Rodgers, Micheal O'Neil and Coyle. Lennon popped up and stated he would be interested in speaking to the board about the position. Whoever comes in is going to have to trim the squad (39 first team players with 9 out on loan) and that will mean getting rid of a few big names. With rumours of the manager not getting an awful lot of input on player recruitment then a few on the shortlist wouldn't be interested in working under those conditions (Keane apparently knocked the job back 2 years ago for that reason). It's going to cost a fair chunk of money to pay off players so the new manager will have to come in and be quite brutal from the off.

Lennon could be an easy choice as he has done the job before and done well, but he might be too friendly with some of the squad to be able to make touch choices about getting rid of players. I still think it might be Stubbs, I can't see it being O'Neill or Keane due to being involved in the euros.
Old 20-04-2016, 13:22   #196
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

No great surprises he's "leaving" at the end of the season, poor showings in Europe and grinding out wins in the league and The Rangers loss was probably the icing on the cake.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Alan Stubbs or John Hughes pitch up at Celtic Park next season. Moyes, Rodger etc. are too expensive for the board and would be looking for big money to spend on players.

Big squad needs clearing, new hungry players needed and The Rangers promoted to the SPFL, big big task for the next manager.
Old 21-04-2016, 12:00   #197
ascender
Trusted User

I think both clubs wasted the "opportunity" when Rangers had to start from the bottom tier again. With Celtic, I guess they tried something different, but it seemed pretty clear from the outset he was the wrong man for the job. And Rangers totally wasted it by going with McCoist who showed no imagination in terms of signing or youth or even just doing things differently and hopefully not making the same mistakes that have been there for all to see over the years.

With Warburton, there's a real feeling that the whole club believes in what he's trying to do and has bought in to it. When you see how little he's spent on signings and the way he has them playing, this is what should have been done a few seasons ago. They're far from the finished article, but add more players in the summer and continue the progress we've seen this year and I think its going to be a very competitive league. If the remaining off the park distractions can finally be resolved then the club could be on quite a solid base for many years to come.

What was the strategy from the Celtic board over the last few years? They had almost guaranteed European football every year so didn't have to downsize ambitions or budgets did they?

I know there's been talk that the last few seasons have given other clubs a chance to win cups, but Celtic have still been there, so I'm not sure how much Rangers not being there has been a contributing factor. You'd probably still have expected Celtic to win the majority of trophies given their squad and budget, so are things closer at the top simply because Celtic have underperformed and that's very obvious in one-off Cup games but is masked over the course of a season where they've still won the league but have been run close at times?

I think its going to be a very interesting season next year to see how everything pans out among the top three clubs from this year, what exactly Celtic change and how the young Rangers side match up.
Old 21-04-2016, 17:16   #198
fothy123
Trusted User

The most frightening thing from the last few years is that McKay was almost out the door for us. Under Warburton, he has been sensational and a contender to POTY. He didn't shout enough but can easily take folk on and he has a decent number of shifts but in the last 2 games he has scored contenders for goal of the season.

Celtic were virtually guaranteed entry to the CL however they had qualifying to negotiate however I'm sure the board and Lawell were confident that they would manage to be able to do that with the manager.

We need to get rid of the Sports Direct contract as we effectively don't have any income from merchandise due to the ridiculous percentages in their favour, so the only income is through season ticket sales. If Newcastle get relegated then there is tighter dual ownership rules in place and he might be forced to sell off his shares.

If the 100m world wide audience figures are true then there is going to be much more interest in the league from outside Scotland next season and Celtic will want to ensure they keep a hold of their title.
Old 04-05-2016, 16:03   #199
fothy123
Trusted User

Dundee Utd relegated and it ends up being by their neighbours, that must be a sore one. Mixu confirmed as being sacked today, bit of a poisoned chalice job now since they have sold their best players yet don't seem to have any money and might enter administration if Thompson pulls the plug. They will struggle massively next year as Hibs/Killie/Falkirk/Raith/St Mirren would all finish above them so they might even struggle to make the playoffs.

Hibs and Raith play the first leg tonight of their match and I'd expect Hibs to win this tie over the two legs fairly comfortably. The games against Falkirk will be a nervy time for both teams and I wouldn't be shocked to see Falkirk win. By the time the cup final comes about, Hibs could have played 5 games more than us.
Old 04-05-2016, 21:53   #200
fothy123
Trusted User

Or not.... hibsed it tonight
Closed Thread