Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:10   #141
home_bas
Trusted User

Not really a fan of Lee McKenzie tbh - always seemed to be a bit too 'journalistsy' which suits websites & papers but not TV for me.

Agree with The Bear though that Kravitz is probably the biggest loss under the veneer of the 'commentary' team, he was very knowledgeable and appeared to have pretty much a free reign in the pits to get info out of the teams.

EDIT - In other news, BBC website confirms USA and Bahrain still on the list.

Personally I can't see Austin having a hope in hell of getting the track ready - they even offered themselves to defer it to 2013. India seemed much more advanced with a similar time to go and just about scraped it.

Another bomb at the UK embassy in Bahrain at the weekend apparently. It's not as if other countries on the calendar don't have their problems (we've had bombings & riots after all), but it doesn't look great does it.

Last edited by home_bas; 07-12-2011 at 11:14.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:27   #142
richardp
頑張日本

Sky have effectively destroyed BBCs coverage, as far as I can see. I'm not huge fans of Lee McKenzie, EJ and Jake Humphey either way, the only one I will miss is DC and presumably he will be off when his contract expires. Sky option is looking more and more like a must as time goes on
Old 07-12-2011, 11:44   #143
home_bas
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardp View Post
Sky have effectively destroyed BBCs coverage, as far as I can see.
Totally. All comes back to running half the races, a lot of people said at the time that people won't be interested if it's not a full season and why would the people working on it not want to be at all the races. In fairness to all those moving over, who wouldn't want to work for a dedicated F1 channel?

It just sucks that the loyal fans over the years are now losing their sport to a pay channel. If the figures on the BBC drop (which they will without a fully live calendar) then it's a fantastic excuse for the BBC to scrap it full stop.

DC and EJ will get to all the races anyway because of who they are, Jake is a 'stayer' at the BBC so he can cover the Olympics. That said, Jake staying doesn't look so great now from a career perspective as he'll have sod-all to cover on the BBC afterwards and might have missed the boat for an opportunity to get in bed with Sky, assuming they wanted him.

I think one of the other annoying things is that the BBC made such a good job of the coverage over the last few years they've effectively been giving Sky a free advert for F1 now the figures and interest has shot up.

Last edited by home_bas; 07-12-2011 at 11:53.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:47   #144
RonnyJ
NO TOUCHING!

Absolutely sickening, completely gutting what was left of BBC's coverage. I was pretty much expecting it, but...
Old 07-12-2011, 13:00   #145
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Is this correct? Is Croft going to be lead commentator, with Brundle back in the secondary analyst role? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...eve-Rider.html
Old 07-12-2011, 13:00   #146
redmosquito
Trusted User

What makes it worse is people like Martin Brundle trying to sell it as good for the sport.

I have no problem with Brundle and whoever moving onto Sky, hell who can blame them, it's a good career choice for them and they'll still cover F1 and get payed more for doing so. Don't try and sell it as being good for F1 or everybody else though.

Removing the chance for the vast majority of the population to be able to view half the races live is never going to be good for the sport. I suppose it it is good in the same way that Sky is good for boxing, in the fact they are lucky to scrape a few hundred thousand viewers for the big fights now compared to the millions you used to get.
Old 07-12-2011, 16:17   #147
fattyboombatty
The idiots are winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_bas View Post

DC and EJ will get to all the races anyway because of who they are, Jake is a 'stayer' at the BBC so he can cover the Olympics. That said, Jake staying doesn't look so great now from a career perspective as he'll have sod-all to cover on the BBC afterwards and might have missed the boat for an opportunity to get in bed with Sky, assuming they wanted him.

jake is a bbc man and has been groomed for lead presenter stuff for a while now, his home is the bbc and they can offer him for more exposure and money than sky can. he will be replacing the bbc big guns in due time(lineker, barker etc.) and as such will recieve a hefty pay check. sky can offer the others more because they weren't that important to the bbc and wouldn't have been on great money, anyway.

i just hope they don't bring legard back. get the touring cars guy, he's worth a shot.
Old 07-12-2011, 18:11   #148
RonnyJ
NO TOUCHING!

Sauber-Ferrari have just left FOTA as well. Hmm, I wonder what could have convinced them.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:17   #149
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,689 Times in 571 Posts
Croft is now lead commentator ahead of Brundle who is back to being colour commentator. Georgie Thompson will be doing stuff for the new F1 Channel too. Ant Davidson will be doing the practice sessions from what I can make out.

Wotsisface Lazenby off the rugby will be presenting the shows. I don't know him as I don't watch rugby.

Also, The World Motor Sport Council met yesterday in India to finalise the 2012 calendar and rules. There are a fair few rule changes including a ridiculous one for overtaking:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/1...nges-for-2012/

Utterly farcical rule if you ask me. You can't even defend your position properly now!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50   #150
home_bas
Trusted User

That overtaking rule is a joke, right? Not allowing a driver to retake the racing line effectively bans defending, even if you end up in front after a defend you'll be stuck on the marbles. Crazy, artificial stuff.

I thought I liked the new safety car rule but I'm not so sure now - if you're chasing the car down in front before the safety car the back markers are still there. Not sure why you should get a 'freebie' on a safety car.

Last edited by home_bas; 08-12-2011 at 09:51.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:53   #151
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

I am struggling to understand the new racing line & overtaking rule as well. As I read it: A defending driver has to remain on the racing line while doing so - that would mean that the driver attempting to overtake has to leave the racing line in order to pass & then get back on it. But while he is trying it, the defending driver cannot also move out of the racing line to impede the passer and if he does so, might incur a blocking plenalty.

If that is correct, it seems OK to me. The type of manoevres tried by Schumacher on Hamilton will no longer be allowed. Also, if the driver behind legally uses DRS off the racing line, the defending driver cannot now get in his way.
Old 08-12-2011, 13:59   #152
The Bear

The defending driver CAN move off the racing line to defend a pass, but they cannot then move back onto the racing line after blocking a pass, in order to take the corner normally.

IMO it's mainly to stop drivers coming back across another driver as Massa did with Hamilton. Basically now, "one move" means one change of direction only when defending.
Old 08-12-2011, 14:17   #153
richardp
頑張日本

That rule comes down to interpretation, I read as being reasonable if I'm honest and not any different to the current rule. A driver has a choice of moving off the racing line or not, if they do move they can't move back, seems simple to me. The doubt comes when a driver is approaching a corner, are they allowed to block and then move back to the racing line for the corner?
Old 08-12-2011, 15:19   #154
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
The defending driver CAN move off the racing line to defend a pass, but they cannot then move back onto the racing line after blocking a pass, in order to take the corner normally.

IMO it's mainly to stop drivers coming back across another driver as Massa did with Hamilton. Basically now, "one move" means one change of direction only when defending.
OK. What if the defending driver is slightly off the racing line but without enough room for the other guy to overtake? It might be possible on some tracks eg Hungaroring. One can argue that he was not completely off the racing line and so is justified in coming back onto it.
Old 08-12-2011, 15:23   #155
The Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardp View Post
That rule comes down to interpretation, I read as being reasonable if I'm honest and not any different to the current rule. A driver has a choice of moving off the racing line or not, if they do move they can't move back, seems simple to me. The doubt comes when a driver is approaching a corner, are they allowed to block and then move back to the racing line for the corner?
I assumed not.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:03   #156
hedgie
Sounds That Can't Be Made

If there was any doubt after he wasn't involved with Sky, EJ has effectively confirmed he's staying at the BBC with this http://yfrog.com/khbbmctj . Although they must have spent most of the BBC's budget with that announcement.

So the BBC pre-race and post-race coverage will be little different in their 10 races to that which they have had in the last three seasons, just without Brundle's occasional input. I really like the Jake, DC and EJ team so at the moment, for those 10 races, even though I have Sky I'll probably tune in to the BBC until the moment they go to the international feed, which is when I'll switch to Sky to get Croft and Brundle. Although I wouldn't want to miss Brundle's grid walk. Somehow I suspect I'll be recording someone's pre-race show to watch after the race!

With magazine shows and other programming on Sky, and with the choice of live and recorded Sky and BBC coverage, this is going to become a question of just how much F1 do I want to watch.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40   #157
The Bear

Grosjean confirmed at Lotus:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/1...ide-raikkonen/
Old 09-12-2011, 08:32   #158
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

That explains his happy face despite the clutch failure in Brazil FP1
Old 09-12-2011, 11:34   #159
home_bas
Trusted User

Mixed feelings about the Renault confirmations. I think Petrov is still yet to prove himself as deserving of a seat, but it's a bit of a shame for Senna as he didn't do a bad job in comparison to Petrov who was well established in the team.

That said, Grosjean has been exceptionally good in GP2 after a disappointing F1 stint (he was a stand-in to be fair), and his funding is no different 'morally' to that of Petrov & Senna, so in context of the three it's fair enough.

It's a shame not to see a driver like Glock there instead, Sutil could never go there after the China incident (assuming FI are PD'R & NH). All to play for on the remaining seat at Williams then...

After that the only real unknowns are what happens at Torro Rosso and the knock-on effect for the spare HRT seat Ricciardo had. Personally can see TR sticking with Alguersuari and Buemi, would surely be a bit too much of a risk to drop one for Ricciardo unless TR can see something in his data from HRT.

The real merry-go-round will be the 2013 season anyway when Webber leaves RBR and Ferrari run out Massa's contract, nothing's changed at the 3 front-runners since 2010 when Alonso & Button moved. Seems amazing Alonso's only been there 2 seasons!

EDIT - something I'd never noticed, no cars run with #13! http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/01/0...the-number-13/

Last edited by home_bas; 09-12-2011 at 11:38.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58   #160
richardp
頑張日本

Wow, wasn't expecting that at all. That's Senna, Petrov, Sutil, Barrichello and Ricciardo fighting for 1 or possibly 2 seats if Trulli vacates his Caterham drive.
Closed Thread