Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:15   #321
richardp
頑張日本

Newey tends to do better when there is stability in the rules, he's a master at finding loopholes and refining things to the nth degree. This year has seen a fair set of revisions so I suspect red bull will be closer to mclaren and Ferrari than last year.
Old 05-02-2012, 13:59   #322
Semps
Severed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear
The chance still exists that by sticking with what they already had it may now be slower than those who have decided to use a stepped nose to exploit the extra space under the chassis.

Given that airflow under the car is vital then it's a decision that may or may not work in comparison to the other teams, whether they needed to change it or not.
Can't see it being slower. For the most part, teams have keep with the philosophy they had last year. Mclaren has the same amount of space under their car than they had last year. Likewise Ferrari and the other stepped nose brigade have the same amount of space they had last year (possibly slightly less due to the lowered nose). I honestly don't see as this will affect performance either way, just teams sticking with what they know and evolving their 2011 designs.
Old 05-02-2012, 16:35   #323
Ricardodaforce
Trusted User

The Lotus is a little less ugly than the other step-nosed cars.
Old 05-02-2012, 17:19   #324
fattyboombatty
The idiots are winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semps View Post
Can't see it being slower. For the most part, teams have keep with the philosophy they had last year. Mclaren has the same amount of space under their car than they had last year. Likewise Ferrari and the other stepped nose brigade have the same amount of space they had last year (possibly slightly less due to the lowered nose). I honestly don't see as this will affect performance either way, just teams sticking with what they know and evolving their 2011 designs.
this is what people are simply not understanding. they think that the step nose cars have raised the front end of the car, they haven't. they are the same height at the suspension rods as last year. and as the mclaren was fast LAST year with less height, IT'S A TOTAL NON-ISSUE.
Old 05-02-2012, 18:22   #325
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyboombatty View Post
this is what people are simply not understanding. they think that the step nose cars have raised the front end of the car, they haven't. they are the same height at the suspension rods as last year. and as the mclaren was fast LAST year with less height, IT'S A TOTAL NON-ISSUE.
The Maclaren was fast last year with a hot blown defuser. That has now gone. So you just can't say that. It could be that you somehow need the greater air flow from the front to then do something clever with it further back. You have no idea just like the rest of us. So until we see the test resilts it is all conjecture.
Old 05-02-2012, 18:53   #326
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardp View Post
Newey tends to do better when there is stability in the rules, he's a master at finding loopholes and refining things to the nth degree. This year has seen a fair set of revisions so I suspect red bull will be closer to mclaren and Ferrari than last year.
Agreed. But the most important issue was/is loss of the exhaust blown diffuser. Red Bull had it, as did all their realistic challengers. All of them benefitted by the EBD and all knew that it was going to go in 2012. By implication all of them would expect a slight loss of performance and would have planned to compensate for it in their 2012 car designs. That is fairly specific and IMO the sort of situation where the genius of Newey could trump the rivals.
Old 05-02-2012, 18:58   #327
richardp
頑張日本

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardodaforce View Post
The Lotus is a little less ugly than the other step-nosed cars.
I thought so too, but the colour scheme helps a lot IMO. Apart from that, it looks extremely conservative. Maybe they'll introduce some new bits in testing though.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:01   #328
fattyboombatty
The idiots are winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecie View Post
The Maclaren was fast last year with a hot blown defuser. That has now gone. So you just can't say that. It could be that you somehow need the greater air flow from the front to then do something clever with it further back. You have no idea just like the rest of us. So until we see the test resilts it is all conjecture.
yes, and if we were discussing anything other than the hysteria surrounding the step nose you would have a point, but we aren't, so you don't.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:02   #329
richardp
頑張日本

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore
That is fairly specific and IMO the sort of situation where the genius of Newey could trump the rivals.
Yes, it'd be a major surprise to see any other car than red bull be fastest at Australia. The main thing this year IMO will be how close Ferrari and mclaren will be, as they have the mega money to throw at development and gain speed throughout the season.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:10   #330
reecie

Quote:
yes, and if we were discussing anything other than the hysteria surrounding the step nose you would have a point, but we aren't, so you don't.
Hardly as you are the one that seems obsessed with it being hysteria and introduced that fact into the discussion.

Last edited by reecie; 05-02-2012 at 19:10.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:10   #331
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Yes, it'd be a major surprise to see any other car than red bull be fastest at Australia.
IMO, with Red Bull it is the combination of various factors that have come right at the present time. Newey seems at his best with his designs when working with Renault engines and Vettel's driving style seems to blend-in very well with that combination. That is why I feel that it may not be straightforward to assume that other drivers will do as well with RBR in a sport where fractions of seconds matter.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:45   #332
fattyboombatty
The idiots are winning

Quote:
Hardly as you are the one that seems obsessed with it being hysteria and introduced that fact into the discussion.
Quote:
That's not what this BBC analysis of the Maclaren says. From about 02:15 onwards. It indicates that the step allows the chassis to be higher under the area prior to the step and so the airflow through that area is increased. So "more useful stuff" can be done with the air further back. The inference being that Maclaren may have dropped one.

But I have no idea if that will pan out or is even true. Though you'd imagine Gary Anderson knows what he is on about. It will be interesting to see what happens with the other cars though.
you're the one who fundamentally misunderstood what the step nose is and thought mclaren had chosen the wrong path on their design.
Old 05-02-2012, 20:01   #333
Semps
Severed Member

A lot has been made of the new noses in the media. But think this is more to do with how striking some of them are to look at (like the Lego Ferrari one). Only time will tell which direction is/was the one to take. Mclaren struggled more than anyone with the loss of the blown diffuser last year (silverstone) so they have a lot of ground to make up. With regard to the bbc f1 mclaren feature I think the general concensus is that the more air volume you can get to the underfloor and through to the sidepods the better as you have more opportunities to do something with it development wise over the year. Sure does look ugly though (lotus being the best looking stepped nose of the bunch so far IMO)
Old 05-02-2012, 20:02   #334
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,689 Times in 571 Posts
The Lotus nose looks exactly the same as Force India's if you ask me.
Old 05-02-2012, 20:06   #335
reecie

Quote:
you're the one who fundamentally misunderstood what the step nose is and thought mclaren had chosen the wrong path on their design.
No I didn't. Do you know what "inference" means? Read what I actually wrote I merely pointed out what that the piece suggested and further stated I didn't know if it would pan out or not - that means "if it is true or not" btw. Still if you think you know better than Gary Anderson I guess you should be in with a shout of an F1 design job lol
Old 05-02-2012, 20:06   #336
Ricardodaforce
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
It doesn't have the "hammerhead" though.
Old 05-02-2012, 20:39   #337
Semps
Severed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear
Maybe it just looks better in black
Old 05-02-2012, 21:04   #338
Leigh
Happy snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardp View Post
I thought so too, but the colour scheme helps a lot IMO. Apart from that, it looks extremely conservative. Maybe they'll introduce some new bits in testing though.
100% agree, paint it red and it wold look as ugly as the ferrari. These step down noses are awful.
Old 05-02-2012, 21:27   #339
richardp
頑張日本

Quote:
Your call, but I honestly think you are wasting your time arguing with him. This is the same person who thinks that people that don't like Lewis Hamilton are racists, and you can't have an entourage if members of said entourage happen to be black.

He is right about one thing though, the stepped noses are a non issue in terms of speed The only reason the teams are having them are to comply with new regs, it's not like they are the f-duct or EBD.

Last edited by richardp; 05-02-2012 at 21:28.
Old 05-02-2012, 21:28   #340
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,689 Times in 571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardodaforce View Post
It doesn't have the "hammerhead" though.
Hammerhead?
Closed Thread