Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 08-03-2002, 16:08   #1
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

DIY projector screen...advice?

I am now in the lucky position of having weekend access to an LCD projector from work. I can get an image of 69" wide from one side of the room to the other on a cream wall...not ideal, I know! I can also 'borrow' a portable screen from work, but this only measures 58" wide. So, how do I go about making my own screen?

It doesn't have to be a roller based one, one that can be hung on the wall would be fine. What material would it be best to use...a wooden sheet, a frame with fabric stretched across or some sort of roller blind from Ikea...we are definately talking as cheap as possible here Should I paint it white? ...I have heard people talking about grey screens for LCD, should it be glossy(...if hot spots are not a problem) or should it be matt?

I don't mind spending a bit of time and money on this project, as long as the benefits are worth it. Any hints and tips would be most welcome :cool:
Old 08-03-2002, 19:41   #2
nigel_williams
Trusted User

The popular option is a large sheet of MDF (heavy) painted with Dulux icestorm (grey-white I think).

Getting my projector next week... 92" screen here I come!

The avforum seems to be down at the moment but www.avsforum.com (American mainly) will probably have some info. Here's one:

Quote:
Anyway I built my own screen from 8 foot by 4 foot MDF (screen I made was 88 inches by 54 inches from memory) (12MM THICK) and use black velvet to make a 16:9 aspect screen, this cuts out all light spillage for 16:9 films and if I watch 4:3 material I just unzoom the lens, which still gives a big picture. I painted it with Dulux ICESTORM 5 (I think it was 5 might of been 4) which is a very light grey and imho improves blacks by 30%. Total cost for the home made screen was about £40 .

Last edited by nigel_williams; 08-03-2002 at 19:42.
nigel_williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 15:18   #3
HenryKrinkle

Cheers nigel...this sounds like it's going to be one heavy monster...now to find some heavy-duty fixings to hang it on the wall!!

I guess this is matt paint, right?
Old 09-03-2002, 17:11   #4
nigel_williams
Trusted User

I expect it's matt but I haven't seen it myself. I've got a Da-Lite Model B 80x45 screen which is matt white.

Should be setting it up on Tueday night.
nigel_williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 22:33   #5
Guest 1427
How IS your Mum anyway?

Have a look here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...threadid=30540

I've used MDF, and it cost me about £14 for the board and the paint - I need to make some kind of border now - next project!

There's some interesting questions raised in that thread, and there's pics there too!
Guest 1427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 19:17   #6
HenryKrinkle

Cheers guys...certainly a lot of great food for thought!

Punce, thanks for introducing me to the AV forum...can't wait to get back to work tomorrow so I can trawl through all the threads, my boss will think I'm hard at it!!

...out of interest, I now see that the grey colour will provide more contrast in respect of keeping the blacks blacker, but, how white do the whites stay??
Old 11-03-2002, 22:28   #7
Guest 1427
How IS your Mum anyway?

Not Persil white

It obviously darkens it slightly, but from extensive Forum reading it's not to the point where everything looks miserable, still bright and easy on the eyes. As soon as I get my projector (maybe a week or two) I'll be posting on the AVFORUM, so keep busy reading at work
Guest 1427 is offline   Reply With Quote