Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 12-02-2010, 23:02   #1
Guest 70483
Trusted User

Home Cinema Systems

Hi I am looking at buying the Panisonic SCBT200 with Blue Ray. I was going to buy this at Richer Sounds at £384.50 inc 5 year warenty but they have sold out. They next best place is Comet or Dixons just under £400 but no warenty. Does any one this Home Cinema System already and can tell me what's like and if there is anything better for under £400?

I am only going to be using this with Sky HD, Wii and Blue Ray DVD (which is in the package).
Guest 70483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 17:12   #2
Guest 5985
Trusted User

I would suggest you have a look at the all-in-one forums over AVForums.com; if you search on a specific model number, you'll find there are a number of owner's threads and discussion on the SCBT200 and probably its nearest rival the Sony BDV-E300. There is not a big difference between them, it largely comes down to personal choice.

Note, there are replacement models for both of these due this year year (- the SCBT230 and BDV-E370 respectively) but in the case of the model from Panasonic there haven't as yet been any announcements on pricing or actual availability. The general consensus seems to be that the SC-BT200 is pretty good taking its cost into account, although like the majority of all-in-ones connectivity is pretty limited. You'll be fine for SkyHD and the Wii though (- optical digital input and twin rca phono connections respectively).

As to "better" options, it really depends on your criteria but does it have to be an all-in-one? If not, I would suggest the HT-DDWG800 av receiver and 5.1 speaker package allied to one of the budget standalone blue ray players (- the Sony BDP-S360 for example). The weakness of the pound has pushed the price of this up over the last 6 months so it's not as good a value as it used to be, but there are some sellers on eBay who seem to be selling this model new for a bit less. I don't think I can link to them though.

The speakers are larger (and most people would say uglier as well), but if your room can accommodate them I would certainly say this would be better sounding and a more flexible option compared to either of the similarly priced all-in-ones. It should just about sneak within your £400 budget.

Finally, in regards to warranty it's not strictly speaking no warranty. You get the standard one year manufacturer's warranty plus the sale of goods act does cover you after that period. Extended warranties are there more for peace of mind.

Robert

Last edited by rwniel; 13-02-2010 at 17:16.
Guest 5985 is offline   Reply With Quote