Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 29-11-2008, 15:33   #21
kmurph
Trusted User

The LA Times website has a whole section with reprints of articles from the time of the events. Fascinating stuff. Again, don't go near this link until after you've seen the film.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thed...ing/index.html

Last edited by kmurph; 29-11-2008 at 15:33.
kmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 15:46   #22
RomerojpgX
Dead

That link is acctually damn disturbuing once you see them images etc..
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 16:58   #23
statto
Jedi Master

Loved Kermode and Mayo's review of this: "There's a heck of a lot of Shawshank before you get the redemption."

Looking forward to seeing this.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 17:25   #24
RomerojpgX
Dead

Kermode still got in his digs in out Eastwoods crappy directing, what a saddo. If its that bad, dont watch.

I will add the cinema I saw Changeling in was mainly old people! old women, I guess they were in for some damn big shocks if they were expecting a film that was in the trailer.
Old 29-11-2008, 17:30   #25
SIMON ADEBISI

Kermode is a total gowl. I cant even look at his monkey head.

Hopefully going to see this tonight.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 17:38   #26
RomerojpgX
Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI View Post
Kermode is a total gowl. I cant even look at his monkey head.
Yup I always avoid Kermode, for some reason I saw News 24 and his Massive head was hard to avoid, its like the moon, with a big quiffy wig.

Still Jolie for Oscar? that I cannot comment on as I hate awards, but hey she did good, but no more than her other more serious films I would say. I still love her in Girl Interupted myself, nearly 10 years ago! how time blows by.
Old 29-11-2008, 21:33   #27
SIMON ADEBISI

Just after seeing this. Very good. The recreation of the 1920s was fantastic especially the last crane shot Excellent.

The film as Romero says took some quite unexpected turns. Its better to see the film cold.

The scenes in the psychiatric hospital were nasty.

And Beadie from The Wire puts in another fantastic performance too
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 23:35   #28
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI View Post
And Beadie from The Wire puts in another fantastic performance too
Spot on! I didn't know she was in it until she appeared. I was close to cheering! Mind you do that just about any time I see a The Wire actor in anything else these days. "Clay Davis" is in Choke, playing a tough detective of all things, almost did his line.

As for Changeling, I thought it was excellent. Can't believe how sniffy some critics are being about this (59% at RT is stupid). The complaints that this is deliberately trying to be "Oscar-worthy" are completely wrong. It's restrained and measured, especially in Jolie's performance. I mean I could see why someone might not like it, it is a tough watch, but it's not a bad film by any means. Finding myself out of step slightly with the critics at the end of the year, the highly praised "Gomorra" and "Waltz with Bashir" left me slightly underwhelmed (both are good, but not classics), while this is very accomplished.

I think this had a lot of themes in common with The Wire, chiefly institutional corruption & uselessness. It lacks the depth and spot on gritty realism of those, but then The Wire has the benefit of years of direct experience from it's writers & creators. In comparison, how well Eastwood has brought relatively so much fact & accuracy into this this astounding.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 10:50   #29
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Ray View Post
Could only find this old thread about Changeling - http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...ght=Changeling
Oh dear you might have found mine, http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...d.php?t=518507, if I had spelt the title right

I am looking forward to this the trailer looked really good and as it is written by the Great Maker himself, J Micheal Straczynski, that would be worth the price of admission alone. And is it me or does there seem to be a lack of publicity for a film staring Jolie and directed by Eastwood?

Last edited by zantarous; 30-11-2008 at 10:53.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 13:43   #30
RomerojpgX
Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
And is it me or does there seem to be a lack of publicity for a film staring Jolie and directed by Eastwood?

Subject matter is not nice, so to me its neever gonna be forced on people.

Not until OSCAR time
Old 07-12-2008, 22:41   #31
Kal El
SuperMember

Watched this yesterday. Very powerful film with some amazing acting by all. If you are going with your misses make sure you take some tissues for her (keep one for yourself!!).
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 00:24   #32
eye__writ
Trusted User

Oscars all round! Except for Jolie, who should never receive the little trinket again, until she accepts the part as Skeletor in a future He-Man adaptation.

Good, disturbing film, but a little too heavy on the melodrama from certain actors.
Old 08-12-2008, 00:35   #33
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
Good, disturbing film, but a little too heavy on the melodrama from certain actors.
I presume you mean some of the acting, i.e. it was too melodramatic. Or do you mean some of the dramatic license taken was too melodramatic?

Can you give examples of what you mean?
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 22:17   #34
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
I presume you mean some of the acting, i.e. it was too melodramatic. Or do you mean some of the dramatic license taken was too melodramatic?

Can you give examples of what you mean?
Yep, that's what I meant.

I thought when Jolie was required to be softly spoken and intimidated by both the situation and higher forces around her she did very well, and that goes for her time in the asylum too. However, when she was called upon to provide moments of despair and emotional outpouring she came up short and provided us with something akin to Daniella Westbrook crying over Sid Owen repelling her advances.

Also graduating with distinction from The School Of Ham is the very hit or miss John Malkovich. At times I love this man's intensity on film, but from his first monologue at the pulpit in this film his performance seemed strained and pantomime in its direction.

Michael Kelly, Jason Butler Harner and particularly Jeffrey Donovan in an inverted Jimmy Stewart performance, were models of understatement and control, which made the above performances all the more grating for me.

But I very much enjoyed the film, and its twists, and nobody was irredeemably awful in their role.

Last edited by eye__writ; 10-12-2008 at 19:21.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:52   #35
Guest 24947
Sumerian, not Babylonian.

Wow this must be one of the most confusing threads ever, starts off about one film then moves onto another, do the mods plan to merge threads based on actors/actresses now or something?

Anyway, watched this last night and it's a really great film. I thought Jolies portrayal of Christine Collins was great, although the acting did get just a bit repetitive and melodramatic at times. She really has proven to be quite an accomplished actress.
The first third of the film was great, good pacing and a brilliant 1920's look and feel. The second third, when the true horror of the situation begins to emerge is equally well portrayed and really makes you feel shocked by what Christine Collins is being put through, her helplessness and the attitude and corruption within the police force the doctors and asylum staff towards the "little lady".
However, I did feel the final third dragged on just a bit too much and didn't seem to know quite when or where to end. That said it's not a short film at 141 minutes and it really didn't feel like I was sat there that long.

All in all though a great film, we were either going to see this or The Day The Earth Stood Still, I think we probably made the right choice.

Last edited by Oggie; 11-12-2008 at 09:16.
Guest 24947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 22:05   #36
robbiez666
northern monkey

thought it was turgid, over-sentimental, melodramatic Oscar fodder. Jolie does her best to look like an actress and fails badly between the crying. dreadful stuff.
robbiez666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 22:14   #37
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiez666 View Post
Jolie does her best to look like an actress and fails badly
I take it that means you don't think much of her acting ability at all then? Might I suggest watching 'Gia', 'Girl, Interrupted' and 'A Mighty Heart' if that's the case?
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 22:18   #38
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
Wow this must be one of the most confusing threads ever, starts off about one film then moves onto another,
Well I did say so in the thread title (and it was changed way back in May)! The reason for the continued thread was because when A Mighty Fart came out all the reviews said she was a shoo-in for an oscar nom (which she didn't get) and then they all said the same thing at Cannes this year for Changeling, so we'll see what happens in Jan 2009 when the noms come out.

Last edited by Richie; 14-12-2008 at 22:22.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 19:51   #39
adam30
Trusted User

hi guys

can u pls tell me either by email or answer on this thread if there is any sexual moments in this film?
also what are the disturbing scenes about?

the reason i ask is i am taking a group of people to the cinema tommorow who freak easy but i really want to watch this movie, i am a social worker by the way.

i may have ti choose another film.

thanks

Last edited by adam30; 16-12-2008 at 19:51.
adam30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 22:46   #40
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam30 View Post
hi guys

can u pls tell me either by email or answer on this thread if there is any sexual moments in this film?
also what are the disturbing scenes about?

the reason i ask is i am taking a group of people to the cinema tommorow who freak easy but i really want to watch this movie, i am a social worker by the way.

i may have ti choose another film.

thanks
fairly minor and in answer to adam's questions