Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 06-09-2010, 09:19   #141
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

I noticed in the latest issue of the Previews comic-guide that Mr Martin has another new comicbook coming out in December. WTF?!? ... It's no wonder we still haven't got a new novel when he's spreading himself too thin over numerous other projects.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:23   #142
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

The vast majority of releases he has been involved with recently are re-packaged versions of his older work, or comic adaptions. He's not writing new stories alongside ADWD.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:33   #143
TonyG

Yeah I know that he has little recent input with regard to the Fevre Dreams & Wild Card comicbooks but the recently announced Doorways series is brand-new & completely written by him from what I can gather.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:35   #144
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Doorways was something he wrote back in the 80's/90's for television, so I guess any new work he has done on it would have just been a reworking or updating kind of thing.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49   #145
pmdf
Big Jesus Trash Can

There was also a new Dunk & Egg story this year. I'm sure I saw him mention on his blog that he needed to take a break from ADWD and work on other stuff to clear his head. Sounds like he's back on form with his writing though, as there's been a few updates since that sound promising...
pmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:47   #146
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Yeah I know that he has little recent input with regard to the Fevre Dreams & Wild Card comicbooks but the recently announced Doorways series is brand-new & completely written by him from what I can gather.
Yeah but the impression I get (maybe Bollecks should comment?) is that writer's block isn't necessarily a blanket thing so while he's stuck on ADWD it doesn't mean he isn't full of ideas for different projects, and I guess it could help him finish.

To be honest I'd rather we get nothing more than a botched attempt to finish the at all costs like we got with Stephen King on The Dark Tower. There are good bits in those books for sure but overall none of the greatness of the first four.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:11   #147
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

HBO will be airing a new trailer and a behind-the-scenes feature before tonight's True Blood finale. It will be posted on the HBO Thrones website afterwards.
Old 13-09-2010, 08:59   #148
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

And here they are in all their glory:

Old 14-09-2010, 07:41   #149
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Why've they dropped the 'A' from the start?
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 19:24   #150
chrisns
Common or Garden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGB View Post
Why've they dropped the 'A' from the start?
Dumbing-down for the Television audience?
chrisns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 22:23   #151
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

The high-ups at HBO are already setting things in motion for the second season!
http://winter-is-coming.net/2010/09/...lks-under-way/

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 15-09-2010 at 22:25.
Old 16-11-2010, 21:58   #152
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Some really interesting tidbits straigh from George R.R. Martin:

Quote:
Filming information:

* An April release is likely.
* Production is expected to wrap on Dec. 18, and then they will move into post-production.
* Currently there are three directors working, 2 filming and one in post-production.
* There are 3 units working, 2 in Ireland and 1 in Malta.
* One of the filming locations in Malta is St. John’s Hospital.
* Castle Black is a workable set (i.e. not a front), and there are about a dozen rooms and a yard.
* GoT won’t be as expensive as Rome, but it is still pretty expensive.
* N. Ireland film commission gave them an excellent deal. Also good for the budget was the high quality sets they inherited from Your Majesty.
* The Paint Hall has four pods/filming areas, and all are currently in use for GoT.

How faithful will the adaptation be?

* We can expect cuts due to the budget. Major battles will be mostly off-screen, as they were in the books. Mr. Martin warned us not to expect “Peter Jackson-style” battles, but rather more like what was seen in Rome.
* More specifically, he said that the early battles in Rome were handled a little too lightly. He said expect more than that, but that we aren’t going to be seeing things like Blackwater Rush played out before our eyes.
* He considers what has been done so far to be very faithful to the books, but not “slavishly faithful.”
* He really enjoyed and respected the LOTR movies, and he feels that is the type of adaptation being made of GoT. Changes are made by necessity, but are carefully weighed and done with respect.

Journey to the screen

* He told his agents his conditions for licensing it for the screen, and they found D&D for him. When he met them to discuss, they went out to lunch, but they talked well into dinner! He had a good feeling about them, trusted them.
* HBO also had a pilot for a show about King Arthur that was GoT’s biggest competition for genre reasons. We know how that ended.
* He is happy to be in N. Ireland, and to have British and Irish actors because he thinks they fit the books well.

“How do you feel about the actors’ performances, from what you have seen so far?”

* He watched about 20 minutes of footage during his recent trip.
* He started by saying the actors are all excellent—no disappointments so far.
* He thinks we’re really going to be happy with Sean Bean, and see a new side of him in this paternal role.
* Peter Dinklage is the only one in the world for Tyrion, and he’s a scene stealer.
* As far as Richard Madden and Kit Harington go, Mr. Martin notes that if this show gets big, it’s going to be Edward vs. Jacob all over again. Richard is the president of the student council, that guy everyone likes and wants to be friends with. Kit is brooding, dark, and emo (Sounds like our Jon!)
* The kids are awesome. They were hard to find, but now it’s like magic.
* Mr. Martin himself, who didn’t watch all of the auditions, probably saw 100 tapes for Arya’s role. Maisie Williams is another scene stealer.
* He saw a rough cut of a scene with Maisie and Sean Bean that was just spot on.
* As for Sansa . . . he remarked that most of us hated her at first, but he doesn’t think that will be the case for TV audience. He thinks Sophie is excellent and that the audiences will love her and find her more sympathetic than most of us did in the books.
* Emilia Clarke is also doing a great job as Dany.
* Jorah is going to be an adjustment, simply because Iain Glen fails to be ugly. That should change the dynamic a bit.

“How will books 4 & 5 be handled?”

* Well, we have to get there first. It’s too far out to say. However, plans now are for one book per season. 4 & 5 would theoretically be two seasons, but cobbled together to not cut out entire storylines.
* Also, Storm of Swords is a train wreck. Major cuts? Two seasons? Who knows?

“What scenes are you excited to see?”

* Any of them!
* He understands new scenes are being added, as the solution for not having POV or long internal monologues, etc. He feels nervous about them, but trusts D & D.
* He worries that, despite things like new scenes, the complexity of it all will still make it unintelligible to those who haven’t read the books, and that they will lose new viewers.
Old 18-11-2010, 10:20   #153
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A new preview at Entertainment Weekly finally gives us a look at most of the lead actors in their roles:
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2038...442931,00.html
(be aware, the captions under the photos contain SPOILERS.)

This (Tyrion in the sky cell) literally looks like it's straight out of the book! Very impressed:

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 18-11-2010 at 10:25.
Old 18-11-2010, 11:51   #154
roddy
Trusted User

Excellent stuff, thanks for all the updates.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 11:02   #155
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

This weekend will see a 15-minute preview of Game of Thrones accompanying the season finale of Boardwalk Empire. Expect it to contain behind-the-scenes footage and interviews, as well as a new (hopefully lengthy) trailer.

Also, could the thread title here now be changed to reflect the actual shows title?
Old 26-11-2010, 11:57   #156
TonyG

Ok, thread-title amended. Blimey! ... Almost four years since I started the thread.

Regarding the preview, the Boardwalk Empire season finale isn't until next weekend (Sunday 6th December).
Old 26-11-2010, 12:04   #157
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Oops, yeah I got the dates wrong.
Old 27-11-2010, 10:32   #158
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

The pics from Entertainment Weekly are now available online in high resolution at http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...ew-photos.html. They are very impressive - I love how I can immediately tell what scene from the books they are from!

Old 27-11-2010, 10:50   #159
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Yeah - very impressive indeed.

I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully like The Walking Dead it can live up to the high expectations I have for it.

My only disappointment with the pics is that the direwolf doesn't seem big enough in the Sansa pick. Whether that will change in post-production I don't know. Probably too expensive to CGI them bigger 'inverse Gimli' style for the entire series, though.
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 10:56   #160
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I know what you mean, it looks like a plain old normal wolf, but it is still very young at that point and has a long way to grow!