Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 10-05-2011, 11:09   #461
avid fan
Trusted User

Have to reiterate one of the comments I read elsewhere that the show sometimes ‘understates’ (putting it kindly) the epic nature of many elements.

The Dothraki Horde is the most guilty element, with the thousands of horsemen replaced with what looks like closer to a gang of 100 or so people. I was anticipating they’d at least do a few CGI shots showing the vast numbers trailing off to the horizon.

This is mirrored by the scaled down elements over in Westeros, where the whole land just seems on a smaller scales – villages replace towns, towns replace great cities etc.

Maybe if the firsts season is a universal success they’ll ramp things up to what is deserved.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25   #462
Shingster
Trusted User

I think that's the case, remember Carnivale and Deadwood weren't exactly failures when it came to ratings, but their production costs were so great HBO were forced to cancel both after 2-3 seasons. I'm hoping they've got a better sense of budget with Game of Thrones, although you've got to wonder how they can produce subsequent seasons without ramping up the CGI somewhat.
Shingster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15   #463
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Im glad to have book readers in here, not read any but as long as they dont post any major spoilers without tags its been nice to have people on this thread to ask questions of like, did this happen in the book, or did this happen differently, and at the end of the day they've helped guide us through whats going on with early episodes with so many characters and stories floating about. So thankyou to the book readers, I especially liked the printout of all the characters faces and names.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 14:05   #464
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Didn't realise Lena Headey was actually British. Was thinking how good her English accent was!!
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 14:17   #465
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
Im glad to have book readers in here, not read any but as long as they dont post any major spoilers without tags its been nice to have people on this thread to ask questions of like, did this happen in the book, or did this happen differently, and at the end of the day they've helped guide us through whats going on with early episodes with so many characters and stories floating about. So thankyou to the book readers, I especially liked the printout of all the characters faces and names.
Glad you think so. In all honesty i really don't think any of the book readers would be that malicious to post really really TV watching breaking spoilers.

I posted a sentance about plot twists which you could have picked up on by watching the episodes alone, and named (didn't mention what they do, did or will do if anything) a few characters which where nice to see in Episode 4 under spoiler tags as I saw the episode about an hour or so before it aired in the UK.

Plus what I have read from other people none are really serious spoilers.

Anyway I have decided not to post anything in this thread after this, because to be quite honest I don't feel now I can even discuss some of the characters in fear of some **** taking the hump and calling foul...SPOILER.

So great discussion forum this

And don't point me in the direction of the other thread as previously said I haven't finished the books yet and knowing what I know from previous books, going in there could be fatal for the book reading experience.
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 14:54   #466
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

This is a brand new show. To a lot of people, this'll be the first time they've heard of the series/books/characters/etc. As someone who has read all of the books so far, I can completely empathise with anyone in the above camp who reads something (spoilered or otherwise) about events that are yet to take place beyond the pace of the TV series.

Given the plot of the books, if someone mentions what will be happening in future episodes, purely on the basis of your knowledge of the books (incomplete or otherwise) that is fairly selfish in my opinion. This is a TV thread, not a book thread, which is why there's a separate thread for people that have read the books. There is also a thread in the book forum.

I don't see a happy medium really, other than setting up a GoT thread for people that have read book 1. Or book 1 and 2, or book 1, 2 and half of book 3. And so on. Which is ridculous.

The Walking Dead had two threads - they were split into people that had read the comics, and people that hadn't. I fell into the latter, and didn't come across people posting stuff from the future comics in there - and if they did, it was stamped on pretty hard and moved to the "spoiler" thread. Not sure why Game of Thrones should be any different.

My 25p worth

Last edited by sparkyrob; 10-05-2011 at 14:56.
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 15:03   #467
Guest 329
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Curl View Post

So great discussion forum this

And don't point me in the direction of the other thread as previously said I haven't finished the books yet and knowing what I know from previous books, going in there could be fatal for the book reading experience.
There's no happy medium alas, you're in a minority of having started but not finished the books. You could just stop watching it for now and finish reading the books first, then you can safely discuss stuff in the book thread.

The thing is, it's a lot safer and easier just to say "no book discussion". The specific thing you posted probably isn't a spoiler and so not worth worrying about. And no-one is going to do it maliciously. But unless you're strict about it, someone is going to go "Oh wait till you see what happens to X in book 3", forgetting that in book 2 X is in a huge life and death battle with Y...
Guest 329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 15:06   #468
SIMON ADEBISI

There better not be a character called X in this!!!!!!! Spoiler alert!!!!!!
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 15:54   #469
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

In a change of subject, both the US and UK viewing figures were up again this week, which makes me oh so happy
EDIT: Wow, a rise of about 20% in the UK!

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 10-05-2011 at 16:01.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 15:58   #470
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Woo indeed!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/10/ga...gs-rise-again/
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 18:00   #471
richardp
頑張日本

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Curl View Post
Plus what I have read from other people none are really serious spoilers.

Anyway I have decided not to post anything in this thread after this, because to be quite honest I don't feel now I can even discuss some of the characters in fear of some **** taking the hump and calling foul
Nobody posted anything that I'd consider a major spoiler, but it was only a matter of time before somebody did IMHO. Bearing in mind the spoiler tags don't work in tapatalk as well, I don't think anyone is being unreasonable really.
richardp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 19:02   #472
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardp View Post
Nobody posted anything that I'd consider a major spoiler, but it was only a matter of time before somebody did IMHO. Bearing in mind the spoiler tags don't work in tapatalk as well, I don't think anyone is being unreasonable really.
I did say I wouldn't post again....but,

I agree and I do empathise with the folks that haven't read the books, as I have not read all of the books, I would be mighty ****** off if I had read something which spoiled the ending for instance (I have already spoiled some of the story for myself by dipping into the other TV thread and the book thread).

I am watching this at US pace, so I will hold off posting about the episode until late monday or tuesday, of course no book spoilers.

Back on topic:

I thought it was a great ending with Cateyln Stark. Which showed the allegience that the different northern houses have to the Stark house. The shock on Tyrion's face was brilliant as he was expecting a warm welcome in an inn.
Old 10-05-2011, 19:27   #473
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyrob View Post
Interesting that they say Episode 5 kicks into a higher gear regarding the action stakes. Really looking forward to the next episode;

Quote:
The show’s action kicks into high gear starting on Sunday’s fifth episode, which could result in Thrones gaining even more traction in the weeks to come, just like True Blood its first year.
Old 10-05-2011, 20:45   #474
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyrob View Post
I don't see a happy medium really, other than setting up a GoT thread for people that have read book 1. Or book 1 and 2, or book 1, 2 and half of book 3. And so on. Which is ridculous.

The Walking Dead had two threads - they were split into people that had read the comics, and people that hadn't. I fell into the latter, and didn't come across people posting stuff from the future comics in there - and if they did, it was stamped on pretty hard and moved to the "spoiler" thread. Not sure why Game of Thrones should be any different.
For every duel-thread system like The Walking Dead there are 20 threads over in the film discussion forum regarding novel-to-film franchises that are enriched by the input of book readers and do not feature significant spoilers outside of spoiler tags.

I've been visiting these boards daily for at least a decade now and I've been exposed to no more than a handful of significant spoilers in that time, it's not rocket science to avoid reading spoilers and it is not rocket science to avoid posting signficant spoilers. Call me crazy, but I credit the members of these boards with the intelligence to know the difference between relatively harmless book talk and geniune spoiler material - and if someone does come along who carelessly blurts out a significant spoiler, then it will be dealt with by the readers/mods. It won't be the end of the world.

To those using mobiles/Tapatalk: Is it just blacked-out spoilers that don't work, or are drop-down spoilers no good either? (example here):

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...06&postcount=8
Old 10-05-2011, 20:56   #475
nutter45
burninator

The spoiler in that link works ok on tapatalk

The usual tags as used here don't though

Edit: I said it works on tapatalk, more accurately it works on a mobile browser

Anyway, bloody great show

Last edited by nutter45; 11-05-2011 at 06:52.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:31   #476
Shingster
Trusted User

thanks nutter, I'll raise the issue in the site suggestions forum then.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:20   #477
statto
Jedi Master

FWIW, I think that any book discussion here is going to be open to criticism, regardless of whether it's put in spoiler tags or not, especially considering we have a thread specifically for book-related discussion. There's plenty to discuss without having to mention book info (ie "It's interesting how so-and-so is being portrayed in the series, as they're more like XYZ in the books.")

I appreciate that there are some people who haven't read all the books yet who don't want to venture into the other thread, but there are enough GoT forums elsewhere on the net discussing specific books and comparing them to the series that it doesn't need to be posted here.

As I mentioned when the idea of two threads was suggested, there are always people who just have to post too much information, seemingly because they have to let people know that they've read/are reading the books, and not merely watching the show.
statto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:28   #478
Guest 52093
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
Have to reiterate one of the comments I read elsewhere that the show sometimes ‘understates’ (putting it kindly) the epic nature of many elements.

The Dothraki Horde is the most guilty element, with the thousands of horsemen replaced with what looks like closer to a gang of 100 or so people. I was anticipating they’d at least do a few CGI shots showing the vast numbers trailing off to the horizon.

This is mirrored by the scaled down elements over in Westeros, where the whole land just seems on a smaller scales – villages replace towns, towns replace great cities etc.

Maybe if the firsts season is a universal success they’ll ramp things up to what is deserved.
I was thinking exactly the same thing watching the latest episode. The jousting contest looked like it was being attended by the population of an averaged sized village rather than a city of over half a million. It can't have been that difficult to add a few CGI characters to the background can it?
Guest 52093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:37   #479
Space Duck
Trusted User

Why did it end like that?!?! WHY did it end like that and I didn't think lady what's her face would be one to act without any REAL proof... She already knows the dagger has passed hands once before and WHY would someone be stupid enough to hire an assassin and practically say "Carve my name into the corpse when you're done"?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:51   #480
LIGHTRAY
Vandelay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Duck View Post
Why did it end like that?!?! WHY did it end like that and I didn't think lady what's her face would be one to act without any REAL proof... She already knows the dagger has passed hands once before and WHY would someone be stupid enough to hire an assassin and practically say "Carve my name into the corpse when you're done"?
Totally agree. Good episode otherwise.
LIGHTRAY is offline   Reply With Quote