Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 09-05-2011, 22:17   #441
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Got to agree. There is a dedicated thread for people who have read the books.

Use it, and keep this thread purely for the TV show pace.

Spoilers of any episode not yet aired of this show could be massive and will utterly ruin and **** off anyone who hasn't read the books.
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 22:18   #442
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokie View Post
What don't you get about NO BOOK SPOILERS ?
You know, later on Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon have a conversation as well OH NO HE DIDN'T Spoilers everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils View Post
whats lemoncakes ?
Google it Nilsy, or better yet why not try the Song of Ice and Fire recipe site: Lemon Cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyrob View Post
Got to agree. There is a dedicated thread for people who have read the books.

Use it, and keep this thread purely for the TV show pace.

Spoilers of any episode not yet aired of this show could be massive and will utterly ruin and **** off anyone who hasn't read the books.
But this is the thing, you've got to at least apply your damn brain to realise the difference between a genuine plot spoiler and generic comments. Saying "oh this character isn't quite the same as he/she is in the book" is not a spoiler, revealing that two characters meet in a scene later on is not a spoiler. I honestly feel the people on these boards are more bothered about AVOIDING SPOILERS than they are about watching the shows sometimes.

Oh and while that thread of yours was a good idea and very considerate sparky, it's a veritable spoiler landmine field for people like me who have not read all of the books yet.

Last edited by Shingster; 09-05-2011 at 22:24.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 22:24   #443
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
revealing that two characters meet in a scene later on is not a spoiler.
Actually, it is. You've told people that those two characters are alive in a later episode.

Think before you post.

Quote:
Oh and while that thread of yours was a good idea and very considerate sparky, it's a veritable spoiler landmine field for people like me who have not read all of the books yet.
Just for you, I've put a disclaimer on the thread...should make it fairly obvious.

Last edited by sparkyrob; 09-05-2011 at 22:27.
Old 09-05-2011, 22:27   #444
Shingster
Trusted User

Except neither of those characters are in peril as of the end of episode 4? Ergo you would have to be a moron to assume that them meeting and talking to each other at a later point (could be in the next episode for instance, could have been episode 4 just gone) reveals anything important about their subsequent fates. It's like moaning that knowledge of there being a second book is spoiler because you know some of the characters must survive!

I'm not going to get anywhere here, the geek factor is too high in this thread, so I will remove myself henceforth. I wonder if you display these attitudes amongst your normal (sane) friends? I'd be ridiculed for all eternity by mine for much lesser moaning!

Last edited by Shingster; 09-05-2011 at 22:29.
Old 09-05-2011, 22:29   #445
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Probably for the best.
Old 09-05-2011, 23:56   #446
Guest 8391
Gamertag: FreelanceBard

There is a book readers thread and a non-book spoiler thread, seems simple enough.
Guest 8391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 00:08   #447
richardp
頑張日本

Quote:
So you don't care about spoiling the show for those of us who haven't read the books, but you don't want to use the book thread because it might have some spoilers in
richardp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 00:10   #448
DM
Self Abuser

Seems simple to me. Book talk in the book thread, tv talk in the tv thread. A total spastic can get that right.
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 00:26   #449
Shingster
Trusted User

Get a life people, if you think revealing two characters have a scene together IN SPOILER TAGS constitutes as ruining the show for those who haven't read the books then you are a total ******* idiot!

Last edited by Shingster; 10-05-2011 at 00:27.
Old 10-05-2011, 00:43   #450
richardp
頑張日本

Quote:
Get a life people, if you think revealing two characters have a scene together IN SPOILER TAGS constitutes as ruining the show for those who haven't read the books then you are a total ******* idiot!
I kind of get what you are saying now, but surely if so many of us are bothered by it, can't you just say sorry and not do it? Also I don't think anyone was singling you out in particular, it was more a theme that was developing from a few posters.
richardp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 00:48   #451
Guest 2668
Big Member

Why did you put it in spoiler tags if you don't consider it a spoiler?

It might not be significant spoiler but we need to draw the line somewhere. The most obvious line to draw is keep all book discussion about future events out of this thread.
Guest 2668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:50   #452
nutter45
burninator

Quote:
No-one singled your post out, there were half a dozen other posters commenting on different things. It's the principle of a load of people doing it rather than the precise scene you mentioned. Don't be so precious
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:06   #453
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Loved the ending thought it was done really well.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:51   #454
Blokie
Don't Ask...

Quote:
It was you that seemed to single yourself out, not me. My post said "6 of the last 8 posts are talking about or comparing the show with the books."

It's more about the sum of the spoilers and comments as opposed to individual ones, and without comment from someone the discussion would inevitably have got more and more focussed on the books.

Also, many of the mobile browsers do NOT support spoiler tags, so all of the spoiler text appears the same as normal text.

My Credit Card Bill
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:11   #455
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavie2000 View Post
Guys sorry if anything I have posted you deemed as a spoiler from the books (I didn't however see them as spoiler from the books that's why I posted it). The one line I put about the twists I have removed just in case someone gets arsy about it, but for the life of me I can't see how I gave anything away that no-one would think after seeing the first 4 episodes.

The line i put in spolier tags where about characters aired in the show last night, however I saw it before it was aired in the uk so hence i put it in tags, as to not ruin it for people. I also clearly titled the post as Episode 4.

Also I don't want to read the book spoiler thread as I haven't finished the books yet, on Feast of crows.
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:13   #456
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Peter Dinklage's accent was much better in this episode, I thought. Found it was probably the "slowest" of the 4 episodes so far though.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:22   #457
Blokie
Don't Ask...

Definitely a slow burner of a show, but I've thoroughly enjoyed every episode so far.

My Credit Card Bill
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:47   #458
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavie2000 View Post

It might not be significant spoiler but we need to draw the line somewhere. The most obvious line to draw is keep all book discussion about future events out of this thread.
Because I've been a member here for over 10yrs, I knew someone would moan if I posted it without spoiler tags!

Yes there's a book thread, but again to repeat myself: A thread to openly discuss the books is only really useful for people who have read all the books, would you browse a thread like that if you wanted to avoid spoilers and have only read the first two books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
No-one singled your post out, there were half a dozen other posters commenting on different things. It's the principle of a load of people doing it rather than the precise scene you mentioned. Don't be so precious
Actually the post you quoted is in direct response to this post, which did single me out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardp View Post
So you don't care about spoiling the show for those of us who haven't read the books, but you don't want to use the book thread because it might have some spoilers in
Although I do want to apologise to richardp for being so bleedin' arsey in response: sorry!

And again I just want to point out that threads on film adaptations exist in the film thread with people referring to the books without anyone making a big deal. I don't see what the big deal is about mentioning the books in this thread so long as a modicum of common sense is observed and any significant spoilers are either tagged or unmentioned. The book thread is better served for people who have read all the books and can discuss how the TV adaptation is tinkering with things within the grander scheme of the whole story so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokie View Post
Also, many of the mobile browsers do NOT support spoiler tags, so all of the spoiler text appears the same as normal text.
Never browsed the internet with a mobile phone, so wasn't aware of that.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50   #459
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

They do seem to taking a lot of episodes to get through the exposition/history telling of the story. Granted, I suppose there is a lot of it and its all quite detailed and necessary. The way the actors deliver the stories is mostly wonderful, but a few flashbacks would be nice.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40   #460
riz1
Trusted User

Could we please also either decide this thread is for the US version or else not mention plot/episode specifics until AFTER the UK airing.
Despite having read the books I am not pouting (honest!)
I see the point about the book thread but it is distracting sometimes to look for something (in the UK airing) mentioned on this thread while watching the show.

Ta.
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote