Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Bargain Forum

Old 10-12-2006, 13:38   #1
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Farscape Series 1 to 4 boxset £99.99 at play.com

Farscape series 1 to 4 is currently going for £99.99 at Play.com. Note this is not the new boxset released in October, and it does not include the Peacekeeper Wars (which can be brought seperately for £9.99 here).

EDIT - Play.com have listed the extras for both these boxsets as being the same, but there is some doubt (see posts below) as to whether this Series 1-4 £99.99 Boxset has the same extras as the newer Ultimate Farscape Collection: Complete Seasons 1-4 & Peacekeeper Wars Box Set - £179.99

Last edited by Refrenz; 10-12-2006 at 22:55.
Refrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 13:49   #2
John T Chance
Trusted User

Ordered this a few weeks ago when it was £69.99 but out of stock. Then when it changed to £99.99 and sold out instead of out of stock I gave up on getting it. Just checked my order and it's now packing

Almost makes up for not getting the £500 40" LCD TV in another thread
John T Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 14:34   #3
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Chance
Ordered this a few weeks ago when it was £69.99 but out of stock. Then when it changed to £99.99 and sold out instead of out of stock I gave up on getting it. Just checked my order and it's now packing

Almost makes up for not getting the £500 40" LCD TV in another thread
Same here, I did order it at £69.99 but it was out of stock and then went up to £99.99 and showed as sold out. Looks like they've got more stock. For those of us that got it for £69.99 it was a steal, but even at £99.99, its still a bargain.
Old 10-12-2006, 18:10   #4
RomerojpgX
Dead

I am confused? so the 69 quid set a week or 2 back isnt the seperate full sets in a box, with all the extras, its crap single dvd releases stuck in a crap loooong box!? as that what the 1st picture is of and I don not want that piece of poop thats for sure. that sucks! as I cannot cancel it now!
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 18:55   #5
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomerojpgX
I am confused? so the 69 quid set a week or 2 back isnt the seperate full sets in a box, with all the extras, its crap single dvd releases stuck in a crap loooong box!?
Well, when the set was going for £69.99 a few weeks ago, they actually had a picture of the purple long boxset on the product page so people knew what they were ordering (the pic isn't there anymore for some reason). I don't care what packaging it comes in, as long as its all the episodes and extras previously as previously released, I'm happy, especially for that price.

At a guess, I'd say its just a big outer box that contains the full season DVD releases inside.

Last edited by Refrenz; 10-12-2006 at 19:10.
Old 10-12-2006, 19:08   #6
RomerojpgX
Dead

That Looooong box (that one in the picture wasnt there when I ordered it at all) isnt the 4 seperate sets, that looks to me like the Old set of 40 seperate boxes in a Looooong row (with no real extras like the new sets), its massive and no way I want it if thats what I am getting as its gigantic and ugly as sin. Surley thats just the wrong picture (fingers crossed). There is no picture on Play so I assume I am right and ist not the silly box thats so big its like a coffin they have no picture up as I guess the fact you are getting the 4 seperate limited sets ios what your getting and there is no picture of it I guess.

Last edited by RomerojpgX; 10-12-2006 at 19:09.
Old 10-12-2006, 19:12   #7
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
That Looooong box (that one in the picture wasnt there when I ordered it at all) isnt the 4 seperate sets, that looks to me like the Old set of 40 seperate boxes in a Looooong row (with no real extras like the new sets), its massive and no way I want it if thats what I am getting as its gigantic and ugly as sin. Surley thats just the wrong picture (fingers crossed). There is no picture on Play so I assume I am right and ist not the silly box thats so big its like a coffin they have no picture up as I guess the fact you are getting the 4 seperate limited sets ios what your getting and there is no picture of it I guess.
If you do a quick comparison (using the links in my original post) you will observe that the £179.99 new set has exactly the same extras as the long purple box set. The only difference appears to be the packaging and addition of the Peacekeeper Wars mini-series in the new set.

I hope its not the size of a coffin and just the size of the 4 season boxsets side by side, which is probably a few feet long (about half the size of a coffin )

If you want new extras, you'll need to go and buy the Starburst Edition boxsets, which have only been released in America/Canada on Region 1 so get your import hat on ...

Last edited by Refrenz; 10-12-2006 at 19:18.
Old 10-12-2006, 19:35   #8
Guest 36162
Are you going to eat that

That top picture is of the 40 disc box set of single volumes. Was an Amazon.co.uk exclusive and I own it. It definetly does not contain those extras. If that is what you reveive then at least you can return it as Play.com have incorrectly advertised.

Seasons 1-4 were about £12 each from dvdcrave. No real extras though and picture quality issues, although how bad is a matter of opinion.
Guest 36162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 20:24   #9
RomerojpgX
Dead

Hey as long as I get the 4 seperate seasons with all the extras they list I dont mind much but that massive set is just too big for my sleves, I am cutting back and selling big sets and that amazon exclusive set is gigantic one fo the biggest I have ever seen.
Old 10-12-2006, 22:01   #10
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Boy
That top picture is of the 40 disc box set of single volumes. Was an Amazon.co.uk exclusive and I own it. It definetly does not contain those extras. If that is what you reveive then at least you can return it as Play.com have incorrectly advertised.

Seasons 1-4 were about £12 each from dvdcrave. No real extras though and picture quality issues, although how bad is a matter of opinion.
So, just to clarify, are you saying that the content in the Amazon boxset you got was the same as the seperate releases, i.e. Farscape volume 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2 etc ... ? The individual volume releases have the same extras as listed in the purple long boxset and the new boxset.
Old 10-12-2006, 22:14   #11
Guest 36162
Are you going to eat that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrenz
So, just to clarify, are you saying that the content in the Amazon boxset you got was the same as the seperate releases, i.e. Farscape volume 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2 etc ... ? The individual volume releases have the same extras as listed in the purple long boxset and the new boxset.
Yes. It was all those releases placed in a (that) big ugly box. Was only £72 from Amazon though.
Guest 36162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 22:28   #12
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Boy
Yes. It was all those releases placed in a (that) big ugly box. Was only £72 from Amazon though.
Great! Looks like the purple box will be about 4 feet long, but it also looks like Play.com has got the extras wrong if what they are flogging for £99.99 is all the old individual volume releases in a massive box. Either way, I'm not too worried about a few missing interviews and commentaries as its the episodes themselves I want, particularly when it costs significantly more to obtain those extras on the newer boxset.

Last edited by Refrenz; 10-12-2006 at 22:56.
Old 10-12-2006, 23:00   #13
RomerojpgX
Dead

Ahh I like commentaries, so its going back if its not got all them that when they ship the thing, if ever at the 69 quid price.
Old 10-12-2006, 23:04   #14
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Ahh I like commentaries, so its going back if its not got all them that when they ship the thing, if ever at the 69 quid price.
You best take some screen grabs of the website stating there are audio commentaries in the extras, just in case they kick off if you need to return the set to them.
Old 11-12-2006, 16:04   #15
RomerojpgX
Dead

Yup may as well try that, as it was shipped today at the nice price of 69 quid fingers crossed I get it soon.
Old 11-12-2006, 17:12   #16
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Yup may as well try that, as it was shipped today at the nice price of 69 quid fingers crossed I get it soon.
Same here - mine has shipped too. We'll soon see if we get the individual releases with less extras, or full season boxsets with all the extras.
Old 12-12-2006, 15:35   #17
RomerojpgX
Dead

Got it today its the COFFIN set with no extras! bahhh! its going back straight away I dont want this massive ugly thing at all. Its pretty much 25 inches long for gods sake! no way I have room for that.

Not happy at all
Old 12-12-2006, 21:56   #18
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Got it today its the COFFIN set with no extras! bahhh! its going back straight away I dont want this massive ugly thing at all. Its pretty much 25 inches long for gods sake! no way I have room for that.

Not happy at all
Saying the set contains no extras isn't true if the big purple coffin box contains all the single volume releases (1.1, 1.2 etc) because those releases had all the extras listed on play.com except for the commentaries.

Having said that, if the commentaries are your main reason for buying the boxset, I can see why you're not happy. There's no other way to get them other than getting the more expensive recently released ultimate collection boxset, purchasing the individual complete season boxsets, or going region 1 with the starburst editions, all of which are going to cost significantly more than the purple coffin set.

Still haven't got mine yet, but I suspect the calling card by Parcel Force is evidence that a delivery was attempted today.
Old 14-12-2006, 00:08   #19
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Lummocks! Got my set today. I was expecting it to be big, but by jingo the size of the box still surprised me. Its still a fantastic bargain, even if the commentaries are not included. Mine's a keeper, just need to find some space for it!!!.

Last edited by Refrenz; 14-12-2006 at 00:28.
Old 14-12-2006, 18:35   #20
RomerojpgX
Dead

Yup its very nice but a litte too big for my collection. I would have jumped on it a while back and loved it, just slightly big for my likes.

Still I emailed them and told them about the wrong specs etc.. and hey presto they have now updated their site with the correct specs, good job I saved the page fingers crossed they get back to me soon with good news, I would be gutted of they dont let me send it back for free, I asked for replacment seperate sets if possible, but I dont expect they will but worth a try.