Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 26-07-2006, 17:50   #1
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Bing Crosby, Cary Grant & Rock Hudson 'Screen Legend Collections' from Universal

From DVD Times:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Screen Legend Collections for Bing Crosby, Cary Grant and Rock Hudson. Arriving on 14th November 2006 priced at $29.98 SRP each these sets bring together five films from the careers of their respective actors spread across three discs (2xDVD9, 1xDVD5).

Bing Crosby: Screen Legend Collection includes

Waikiki Wedding
Double or Nothing
East Side of Heaven
If I Had My Way
Here Come the Waves

Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection includes

Thirty Day Princess
Kiss and Make Up
Wings in the Dark
Big Brown Eyes
Wedding Present

Rock Hudson: Screen Legend Collection includes

Has Anybody Seen My Gal?
A Very Special Favor
The Golden Blade
The Last Sunset
The Spiral Road.

All are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono and English SDH and French subtitles. Extras are TBC but unlikely to stretch beyond trailers.

Count me in for Cary, anyway

Last edited by jackal; 26-07-2006 at 20:10.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 18:29   #2
Guest 53777
Trusted User

This is great! More Grant to add to my collection, and if I've ever seen any of these it's been so long ago that I can't remember. And they're in space-conserving packaging to boot. I'm liking these Universal collections more and more. The Crosby collection looks like fun stuff as well.

(BTW, I'm familiar with TBA & TBD, but what does "TBC" stand for?)
Guest 53777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 19:09   #3
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Will order Grant and Crosby for sure - quite a few of these are seeing their first home video release ever!

Kudos to Universal for releasing so many fabulous collections of rare films this year
Guest 56272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 19:28   #4
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy56
(BTW, I'm familiar with TBA & TBD, but what does "TBC" stand for?)
to be confirmed
Old 26-07-2006, 19:48   #5
Guest 53777
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal
to be confirmed
Thank you. Another TLA to remember.

-JM
Guest 53777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 20:59   #6
Guest 56688
Trusted User

Good to see Universal finally release A Very Special Favor (1965) on DVD. However, I've mixed feelings over this DVD, surely a film released in the 60s would have been filmed in widescreen, and not 1.33:1 Again, Universal seem to be taking us for idiots, and they seem content for us to just accept their inferior DVDs!
Guest 56688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 22:12   #7
Guest 56459
Trusted User

.....and The Spiral Road (1962) and The Last Sunset (1961) are also widescreen titles.
Guest 56459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 00:51   #8
Guest 56272
Trusted User

I am not interested in the Hudson collection so the widescreen ratio is not an issue for me (the other collections being from the 30s), but I am just SO happy to see Universal doing so much this year to release classics! I think they should be applauded more than scolded.

Who would have guessed when the year started that we would see so many rare titles of all kinds from them - new to home video gems from the 30s starring Lombard, Grant and more, the Inner Sanctum mysteries, the De Mille collection etc. Just having them released at all is such a wonderful surprise. No complaints from me.

I hope the next collections we hear about are the rest of the Deanna Durbins in R1, lots of great Universal and pre-48 Paramount noirs, great comedies like Easy Living (37), Major and the Minor (42) and Remember the Night (40).
Old 27-07-2006, 02:31   #9
Guest 57028
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine
I am not interested in the Hudson collection so the widescreen ratio is not an issue for me (the other collections being from the 30s), but I am just SO happy to see Universal doing so much this year to release classics! I think they should be applauded more than scolded.

Who would have guessed when the year started that we would see so many rare titles of all kinds from them - new to home video gems from the 30s starring Lombard, Grant and more, the Inner Sanctum mysteries, the De Mille collection etc. Just having them released at all is such a wonderful surprise. No complaints from me.

I hope the next collections we hear about are the rest of the Deanna Durbins in R1, lots of great Universal and pre-48 Paramount noirs, great comedies like Easy Living (37), Major and the Minor (42) and Remember the Night (40).
well said Karine!

Jean Arthur, Barbara Stanwyck, and Claudette Colbert collections would be entirely logical successors to the ones that were released this year, and I'd sell blood plasma to get them!

Last edited by Jefty; 27-07-2006 at 02:31.
Guest 57028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 12:19   #10
Guest 56272
Trusted User

I certainly second any Stanwyck, Colbert and Arthur sets!!!!

I'm also happy to see Universal doing Special Editions for films like DOUBLE INDEMNITY, FLOWER DRUM SONG, DRACULA, etc. - I'm thinking they might have more in mind for others of their big films not yet on DVD. It certainly looks that way judging from their latest efforts.

In the meantime, I am really enthusiastic about the rare, overlooked gems in the upcoming Grant and Crosby collections. A lot of these titles are REALLY good and will be even more enjoyable in brand new transfers. WAIKIKI WEDDING is an excellent Crosby vehicle with lots of comedy and fun songs , 30-DAY PRINCESS is a pure delight with Grant and Sylvia Sidney (co-scripted by Preston Sturges too), WEDDING PRESENT is an hilarious neglected jewel in Grant's filmography, HERE COME THE WAVES is WW2 musical at its best with Crosby and Betty Hutton as twins (a boisterous blonde and a more restrained brunette), IF I HAD MY WAY is a favorite of mine as Crosby stars with lovely Gloria Jean. I could go on and on, but these are all worthy additions to anyone who loves these stars.

Last edited by CinéKarine; 27-07-2006 at 12:19.
Old 27-07-2006, 16:16   #11
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Why is it people just believe whatever they read at some DVD site. You can put money on the Hudson titles that need to be widescreen being widescreen. These press releases are ALWAYS wrong, and yet people ALWAYS believe them until they're proven wrong and then people never come back and say oops, guess I jumped to conclusions and got angry when I should have waited.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 17:56   #12
Guest 50325
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway
Why is it people just believe whatever they read at some DVD site. You can put money on the Hudson titles that need to be widescreen being widescreen. These press releases are ALWAYS wrong, and yet people ALWAYS believe them until they're proven wrong and then people never come back and say oops, guess I jumped to conclusions and got angry when I should have waited.
Perhaps you should buy some R2 DVDs from Universal. Then you will believe everything, too.
Guest 50325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 18:43   #13
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Well, this isn't a region 2 DVD. And I don't think anyone can point out a Universal title that has been transfered in an incorrect ratio in any of these box sets they've been releasing. I know they've been screwy occasionally on single titles but not on the box sets.

And, might I just add that I just purchased Madigan from region 2 Universal - it's anamorphic, scope, and much better than the region 1 disc.

In any case, the last press release (I don't even know if they're printing proper releases from Universal on these sites - or just guessing) about Flower Drum Song was also incorrect and everyone believed that until I set them straight, and then they finally printed the correct sound specs.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 13:28   #14
Step away from the console
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy56
Another TLA to remember.
www.acronymfinder.com
Definitions are ranked by popularity by default.
Step away from the console is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 19:20   #15
Guest 56272
Trusted User

All 3 collections can be pre-ordered on Amazon.com
Old 03-08-2006, 00:39   #16
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Artwork for Grant and Hudson collection can be found here....

DVDActive
Old 03-08-2006, 11:37   #17
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Artwork for Grant and Hudson collection can be found here....

DVDActive
I think they look quite nice. Presumably they'll be the same as the 'Glamour Collections', with a plastic slipcase over an amaray. And NO DVD18s this time!

Last edited by jackal; 03-08-2006 at 11:37.
Old 19-08-2006, 23:04   #18
Guest 58238
Trusted User

I'm so happy about the Bing set! Cary Grant too. But I just can't wait to see these obscure Bing Crosby films I've never seen before... and CinéKarine's description makes me even more eager. I'm glad some studios are willing to release lesser known movies, and rely on star power (and a reasonable price) to sell the DVDs. If only Warner did the same, instead of focusing on the most famous titles.

I've heard disturbing rumours that Universal aren't happy with the sales of their Deanna Durbin and Carole Lombard boxsets... I hope it's not true, because I'm dying to own more of those actresses' films. Can anyone confirm or deny? It *has* been awhile since the first Deanna Durbin collection. Then again, if sales were bad they might quit releasing classic movies entirely, so I'm gonna look at this Crosby, Grant, Hudson announcement as a good sign.

P.S. I vote for Barbara Stanwyck, Claudette Colbert and Jean Arthur sets as well! Most emphatically!

Last edited by ChrisRose; 19-08-2006 at 23:07.
Guest 58238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2006, 15:27   #19
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Same thing here. I am looking at these releases as good signs of more great things to come.

No clue about how the Durbin set did - but this lady has so many fans of all ages. When her films came out on VHS over here (French-speaking area), they sold out in every store on the first day. I will never forget that. So I would have thought the reasonably priced DVD collection would have done well too. Maybe in the light of the classics selling better than ever in the past couple of years, volume 2 will show up. Some of her unreleased films in R1 are among her best too: 100 Men and a Girl, Three Smart Girls Grow Up, His Butler's Sister, Nice Girl, etc.

My most wanted films from the Universal film library (including pre-1948 Paramount titles) of the 30s-40s would certainly include:

Private Worlds (35) - a truly marvellous, heartfelt film with Colbert, Charles Boyer, Joel McCrea and Joan Bennett
She Loves Me Not (1934) - an unheralded, hilarious comedy delight with Crosby and Miriam Hopkins
I Walk Alone (48)
Easy Living (37)
Remember the Night (40)
Lady in the Dark (44)
All My Sons (48)
You Came Along (45)
Flesh and Fantasy (43)
The Affairs of Susan (45)
The Major and the Minor (42)
And Now Tomorrow (44)
The Fleet's In (42)
Frontier Gal (45)

All of these are among my favorite films Some of them have never been shown up on any home video format yet.

As for the Universal titles of the 50s, I keep wishing for a Tony Curtis collection and he could provide a commentary track maybe. The Purple Mask (1955) is my all-time favorite swashbuckler (no kidding!) and many of his films from the 50s are well-remembered today. I even enjoy his only musical, So This Is Paris (54)

A Tammy trilogy could be fun too - although the original with Debbie Reynolds is by far the best.

Last edited by CinéKarine; 20-08-2006 at 15:33.
Old 20-08-2006, 19:42   #20
Guest 58238
Trusted User

Quote:
No clue about how the Durbin set did - but this lady has so many fans of all ages. When her films came out on VHS over here (French-speaking area), they sold out in every store on the first day. I will never forget that. So I would have thought the reasonably priced DVD collection would have done well too.
Y'know, the Deanna DVD set sold well at my local A&B Sound too... for once they actually stocked up on a classic movie release, instead of just ordering one copy! That's why I was surprised to read online that Universal was disappointed with the sales of that set. I reeeeally hope it's not true.

It makes me happy to hear more evidence that she hasn't been forgotten.

Last edited by ChrisRose; 14-03-2007 at 11:43.
Guest 58238 is offline   Reply With Quote