Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2006, 13:06   #301
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,032
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils
Has nobody told Bojinov that Juve are about to get relegated?

He's a very talented player and while going to Serie B for a season as a starter with Juve might help his career, going to C with Juve wouldn't.
Pisces Iscariot is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 13:17   #302
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,032
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPearce
I have more of an issue that it was Carra that was picked on as a bottler when both Lampard and Gerrard are far more used to taking penalities in pressure situations. Who shows more bottle in standing up to take a penalty, a regular penalty taker for club and known well striker of the ball or a defender who never takes them in competitive matches? He may have made a schoolboy error in hitting the first one before the whistle but I can't begin to imagine the sort of pressure he was feeling in his situation. Bad error - probably , bottler - no way IMO.
So you're saying he made a mistake because of the pressure? I'd say that was bottling it! The issue wasn't missing the penalty as that can happen to anyone in a shootout, it was the fact a mistake he shouldn't have made contributed to his miss.
Pisces Iscariot is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 13:21   #303
d2000s
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,461
Thanks: 35
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balstino
Interesting point but I believe Rafa knows what he has in Fowler and can see the potential in him fully fit. He actually is quoted as saying he wanted Fowler get '50' this season!! The Gafa sounded like he was only half joking as well!!!
Then why has he bought Bellamy and more than likely buying another top striker as well? - whether he buys Anelka, Kuyt, Bent or the others we have been linked, he isnt spending millions for a bench warmer. Fowler will certainly be the clear no. 4 striker in my opinion and given that he also likes playing the lone striker on occasion that means we wont be seeing too much of him.
d2000s is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 13:37   #304
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG
 
Deron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 12,565
Thanks: 55
Thanked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusUK
Home will be out 10th of August
Away 24th
and euro away on 7th of September
Excellent...

Home and Away shirts for Notting Hill Carnival then. Sweet!
__________________
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win." Bill Shankly
500px
Deron is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 13:39   #305
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG
 
Deron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 12,565
Thanks: 55
Thanked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s
Then why has he bought Bellamy and more than likely buying another top striker as well? - whether he buys Anelka, Kuyt, Bent or the others we have been linked, he isnt spending millions for a bench warmer. Fowler will certainly be the clear no. 4 striker in my opinion and given that he also likes playing the lone striker on occasion that means we wont be seeing too much of him.
I dunno...

Rafa will keep rotating his strikers until he finds the right mix.

We had Mori/Crouch/Fowler/Cisse last season and they all had a fair amount of games.

I still wish we'd have gone for Darren Bent though, an unselfish player who has pace and is good in the air.
__________________
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win." Bill Shankly
500px
Deron is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 13:43   #306
d2000s
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,461
Thanks: 35
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john316
I don't think Rafa's system utilises pace from 2 main strikers - it would leave us unable to hold the ball up again and taking on too much pressure again. Rafa's system prefers that 1 holdup man or second striker behind the main forward. Anelka and Bellamy just wouldn't work at all for Rafa.
He would have a holdup man there, if he still wants to use the same system, Crouch will still play most of the games, but Anelka and Bellamy would be another option.
The way we played last year still put us under pressure, with Crouch and Morientes us front, teams were able to play high up the pitch, with Bellamy and Anelka they more or less have to defend on their goal line
d2000s is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 13:46   #307
d2000s
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,461
Thanks: 35
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deron
I dunno...

Rafa will keep rotating his strikers until he finds the right mix.

We had Mori/Crouch/Fowler/Cisse last season and they all had a fair amount of games.

I still wish we'd have gone for Darren Bent though, an unselfish player who has pace and is good in the air.
He did that more because none of them worked together, hopefully that is not the case this year.

Agree about Darren Bent tho, he would be an excellent buy, but I think Charlton will be looking too much for him.
d2000s is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 14:02   #308
Guest 2564
YNWA
 
Guest 2564's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Kidwelly, West Wales..
Posts: 4,611
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces Iscariot
So you're saying he made a mistake because of the pressure? I'd say that was bottling it! The issue wasn't missing the penalty as that can happen to anyone in a shootout, it was the fact a mistake he shouldn't have made contributed to his miss.
I think the mistake was because of inexperience of the situation rather than bottling it. Who do you think is the bigger bottler if we must use that label, Carra for making a mistake on his penalty or those in the England team who didn't stand up to be counted?
Guest 2564 is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 14:34   #309
Guest 12223
Watch this space...
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Leighton Buzzard
Posts: 996
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick note on penalty takers.

How many of Englands current sqaud have actually been involved in a high pressure final over the past few years? Not many, I am sure that helped Carra's cause.

Unfortuantely we weren't good enough. Thougt we should have buried them well before rooney was sent off.

Roll on the new season.

Last edited by saviola; 07-07-2006 at 14:35.
Guest 12223 is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 14:51   #310
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,032
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPearce
I think the mistake was because of inexperience of the situation rather than bottling it. Who do you think is the bigger bottler if we must use that label, Carra for making a mistake on his penalty or those in the England team who didn't stand up to be counted?
Inexperience doesn't wash though as he still knew the rule. They'd trained using the rule so I can only assume that either the pressure got to him or he heard a whistle from the crowd. Can't really comment about the other players as we don't know whether or not they were willing to take one and Carragher had supposedly impressed during practice so if he was willing to take one then he was likely to be picked in the first 5.

I don't think it's his fault that England are out or anything, I just think someone saying that Carragher should have known to wait for the whistle is a fair criticism.
Pisces Iscariot is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 15:00   #311
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils
Another one bites the dust eh Nilsy...
__________________
L I V... E R P... Double O L... LIVERPOOL FC
balstino is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 15:17   #312
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,740
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces Iscariot
Inexperience doesn't wash though as he still knew the rule. They'd trained using the rule so I can only assume that either the pressure got to him or he heard a whistle from the crowd. Can't really comment about the other players as we don't know whether or not they were willing to take one and Carragher had supposedly impressed during practice so if he was willing to take one then he was likely to be picked in the first 5.

I don't think it's his fault that England are out or anything, I just think someone saying that Carragher should have known to wait for the whistle is a fair criticism.
I agree he should've known to wait for the whistle, but that doesn't mean he bottled it. "Having bottle" is more about having the guts to step forward rather than waiting for someone else or saying you don't want to do it. Although saying that you don't want to do it because you know you are useless is another matter altogether and probably just shows common sense
It must be quite strange coming on specifically to take a penalty, especially when you are not a specialist, and I think this reflects badly on the rest of the squad more than it does Carragher.
cheeseypuffs is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 15:18   #313
saltysam
Trusted User
 
saltysam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: liverpool england
Posts: 12,489
Thanks: 23
Thanked 164 Times in 59 Posts
kewell out for start of the season ,he's had another operation.
saltysam is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 15:36   #314
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,740
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam
kewell out for start of the season ,he's had another operation.
Seems it wasn't gout after all!!! Probably rules out the rumours about him being sold, certainly for the first part of the season anyway.
cheeseypuffs is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 16:55   #315
john316
XBL: morro316
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK, Europe, The World
Posts: 28,783
Thanks: 7
Thanked 49 Times in 20 Posts
They say that you can suffer from that as a result of untreated STDs
john316 is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 17:16   #316
stu_69
prohibido
 
stu_69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California for now
Posts: 13,116
Thanks: 33
Thanked 232 Times in 126 Posts
Can one of you blokes clear this up for me. I have a fancard from last season and when I phoned the ticket office I was told I would need to renew it for this season. So I filled in the form and sent it off. But today I have just got a letter saying that I am already a fancard holder so they will not be issuing me a new one.

So is my fancard still valid? Who has made a mistake, the girl on the phone or the one who processed my application?
stu_69 is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 17:38   #317
Guest 48579
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,313
Thanks: 29
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Ok, just got back from a week away, and the forum hasn't remembered where I last was in this thread....

Can anyone sum up the last week for me? I know we got Speedy's permit through

I also know we signed two other players - can anyone tell me anything about them?

Would be appreciated.

I see Bellamy's already dragging our club's name through the mud!
Guest 48579 is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 17:59   #318
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,032
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john316
They say that you can suffer from that as a result of untreated STDs
I think it's more common in IV drug users...
Pisces Iscariot is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 18:50   #319
riz1
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Durkadukastan
Posts: 8,130
Thanks: 243
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
or indeed in people who have localised infections which extend to the underlying joint, but let's not let that get in the way of a good gossip eh
riz1 is offline  
Old 07-07-2006, 18:55   #320
john316
XBL: morro316
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK, Europe, The World
Posts: 28,783
Thanks: 7
Thanked 49 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69
Can one of you blokes clear this up for me. I have a fancard from last season and when I phoned the ticket office I was told I would need to renew it for this season. So I filled in the form and sent it off. But today I have just got a letter saying that I am already a fancard holder so they will not be issuing me a new one.

So is my fancard still valid? Who has made a mistake, the girl on the phone or the one who processed my application?
Not heard of ever having to renew the fancard
john316 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 20:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network