Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 06-07-2004, 21:17   #1
Guest 2923
Going grey already :-(

Question Sky Plus Playback Problem

I have has sky plus for about 6 months now and all has been fine until recently.

When i playback recorded programs sometimes they won't play at all and just jump frames occasionally. Although if i put it about 15 min will play ok (but not all the time)

Also if a program plays when i put the fast forward on to go through the adverts on the x12 or x30 speed it just jumps randomly to different frames. Whereas before it went through the program smoothly but very quickly.

Is this a problem with my box or are other experiencing the same problem.

Mine is an unmodded box..

Thanks in advance.
Guest 2923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 22:17   #2
Gavin01
Trusted User

hmm i have the problem where some times when using the + if i got to pre recorded program and hit select then select again to play some times it locks. Where as if i go select then play it works?

Also when watching some thing sometimes it takes about 10 secs for sound to catch up?

I just put it down to quirks with the box?

Still an excellant piece of kit
Gavin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:13   #3
AntonB
Stoatpamphlet

I've just started noticing this problem as well. It had been fine for 8 months, then in the last few weeks, we've had problems with playback. Has there been a software 'update' recently?
AntonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:13   #4
chas
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
I have has sky plus for about 6 months now and all has been fine until recently.

When i playback recorded programs sometimes they won't play at all and just jump frames occasionally. Although if i put it about 15 min will play ok (but not all the time)

Also if a program plays when i put the fast forward on to go through the adverts on the x12 or x30 speed it just jumps randomly to different frames. Whereas before it went through the program smoothly but very quickly.

Is this a problem with my box or are other experiencing the same problem.

Mine is an unmodded box..

Thanks in advance.
You might need to do a system housekeep. Goto services press 4,0,1 then select and select full system reset, although this wipes your hard drive and you will loose all your series links and recordings, i did this when my box was playing up a bit
chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:45   #5
wozwebs
Villa Youth!!

Yep, a system reset usually clears up most problems. Try to do mine every couple of months
wozwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 18:18   #6
Guest 2923
Going grey already :-(

I have done the reset and still have the problem. Also it keep on radomly shuts dow. Lost half of top gear due to it last night.
Guest 2923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 21:03   #7
Guest 3392
Banned

Sky+ overheats badly, & this manifests itself with random software glitches, & other assorted problems, if you don't already, try with the box in a well ventilated location, & see if that sorts it out.
Guest 3392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 23:41   #8
Barney_Tabasco
'My Two Dads' changed me

I have the same problem. Had mine since December. Its getting ridiculous now though. Shuts itself down all the time, programs jump around or freeze, 'Loss of signal' warning comes up all the time even though my signal is OK, recorded programs say 'Pert Recorded' when they have no reason to.

I can't really move my box to somewhere more ventilated - it's in a stacked unit.

Will have to do a system reset i guess but i have about 18 hours stuff to watch first which i don't want to lose and which will probably play up in the process

Had some friends round last week and spent about 3 hours watching an hour long program due to above issues. The general verdict was from all my none Sky+ owning friends 'Well that's made my mind up then, i'm sticking to VHS!'.
Barney_Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 09:48   #9
Gavin01
Trusted User

mines in a stack as well but its on top with around inch and a hlaf air above it and at least 6 inches at rear and either side.. But the heat they kick out is silly....
Gavin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 10:59   #10
Guest 3392
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_Tabasco
I can't really move my box to somewhere more ventilated - it's in a stacked unit.
As an experiment, move the box temporarily for a few days, this would at least let you know whether it is the heat which is causing the problem or not,
if it is, you can then look into possible solutions to the placement of the Sky+ box.
Guest 3392 is offline   Reply With Quote