Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 05-05-2004, 17:20   #1
wallofbeans
Trusted User

pc confusion!

my girlfriends laptop was set up with a wireless connection to the netgear 834g wireless router modem in the spare room.. we used a netgear wg511 wireless pc card and it all worked a treat...

but her laptop was damaged and she got a new one thru our home insurance.. this one (apparently) has an inbuilt pc card thing but i cant get it to work.. can anyone talk me thru how to make it work!?

the other thing about this new laptop that i dont get is the last one had microsoft works (& word) on it.. when she got the new one they said they wouldnt supply this software coz she could put it back on using the disks from her last computer.. problem is there are no disks.. it was on the last laptop when she bought it and all she has is certificate of authenticity saying its offical but no disks...

this is crazy.. how do we now get works/word back on the new lapatop?

thanks all

Last edited by wallofbeans; 06-05-2004 at 08:13.
wallofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 18:12   #2
Guest 22808
Trusted User

Quote:
can anyone talk me thru how to make it work!?
Does the PC not come with either a printed manual, or far more probably an electronic manual installed on it? Instructions can differ according to model of card you see, so the manual is the best bet unless you can supply the brand and model number of the built-in wireless card (control panel -> system -> devices -> network adaptors)

re: Word and Works

(a) Try contacting the manufacturer of the old laptop (depending on how old it was) and asking about how to obtain Works and Word discs. Remember to explain (if necessary repeatedly) that you had it preinstalled and thus JUST require the install media.

(b) Alternatively, borrow a friends copy and install using the old cd-keys. Unsure, how legal this is since it may be argued that such preinstalled software is ONLY LICENSED to the PC it's installed on, and no other.

(c) Speak to Microsoft and explain the situation, they MAY be able to supply install media for a small fee.

(d) Your have to buy the software again, unfortunately. Try online retailers or computer fairs for cheaper options (older revisions, eg. Office 2000; or OEM* CD versions).

*: intended to only be sold with new computer hardware, supplied without a box or printed instrctions - just the CD in a jewel case together with the cd-key and certificate of authencity.

Last edited by adam.mt; 05-05-2004 at 18:15.
Guest 22808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 18:33   #3
wallofbeans
Trusted User

word/works..
i am not paying anything for it. if i can get it for free then fine but otherwise the insurance company are getting shouted at until the cough up.

they were supposed to replace the computer exactly as it was.. (or better) without works/word its not the same..

so this is their problem as far as im concerned..

i already have the cerificate of authenticity - just not the darn disks! the old computer has been trashed by the insurance company

pc card..
it doesnt come with a printed manual and i cant seem to find an electronic manual.. to be honest i dont even no for sure if there is a pc card in the darn thing at all!
this is what it says under network adaptors:
1394 Net Adaptor
MAC Bridge Miniport
National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815/816 10/100 macphyter PCI adapter

im a mac user so this all seems really complicated to me!

the other thing i wondered is.. they've given us windows xp pro (i think by mistake - the last laptop only had xp home) - is that a good thing or a bad thing?
do i need to be a pro to use pro? if its a good thing - why?

thanks so much
im freakin out about this..
i hate dealing with insurance companies.. they always seem to mess things up..
Old 06-05-2004, 08:17   #4
wallofbeans
Trusted User

hewlett packard/compaq have told me (after speaking with a number of people in the 'tech help' dept who had no idea) that i need to take my certificate of authenticity to PC World (where i bought the old computer) with my receipt (for my old computer) and fill in a form which basically says yes, i am allowed an offical copy of these products.. that form gets sent to compaq and they send me the disks!

very long winded (compaq wouldnt let me fax them the cert or just send me the disks direct) and it'll be a long while before i get them.. but thats how you do it...

Last edited by wallofbeans; 06-05-2004 at 08:18.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:34   #5
Guest 17917
Trusted User

laptops seem to be, more and more, having a button (often a function button) to turn the wireless connection on and off as it uses battery even when not connected. check the function keys for a radio mast type icon.

what sort of laptop is it?
Guest 17917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:02   #6
wallofbeans
Trusted User

its a hp compaq nx 9010
i cant find any button with a radio mast type icon..
at this rate.. it'll be easier to plug in the netgear 511 card..
Old 06-05-2004, 11:03   #7
Guest 17917
Trusted User

according to the online manual there should be a wireless on/off button on the front of the machine at the right hand side.

http://h200003.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...0038763#N100AB
Guest 17917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:29   #8
wallofbeans
Trusted User

its got the little infra red light thing thats in that picture but not the button next to it! ??

in other news:
you got any idea why this replacement machine is so hefty? the last one was quite slim lined and this one is a whopper.. i always thought they'd get smaller as they got newer..