Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 10-07-2003, 22:03   #1
wozwebs
Villa Youth!!

Projector Screen - which one from these 2??

Right - my AE-100 is on it's way and the missus isn't chuffed to say the least. She is imagiing a huge screen hanging from her wall or ceiling so I am looking at these 2 'wife friendly' screens.

1st one is from ebay -

and the stats are
Screen Area: H=1.24M W=1.65M
Diagonal Size: 2.32M
Case Dimensions: W=1.76M H=8CM D=10CM

2nd one is this Sony number

and the stats are
Aspect Ratio : 16:9
Viewable Area : 70" ( 36" x 62.5")
Dimensions (W x H) : 173cm x 202cm (At Full Height)
Features : Easy Rolling Pull Up Design
Stable Metal Base

Which one do you think is best. I'll mostly use it for watching DVD's and the odd Sky footy match. Will the black being higher up make Widescreen movies better presented on the Sony or will they look just as good on the 1st one?

The 1st one will also allow me to see more screen for things like footy which really doesn't have to be W/S

Which one would you go for, they are both similar prices?

Last edited by wozwebs; 10-07-2003 at 22:06.
wozwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 22:43   #2
nigel_williams
Trusted User

Both are definately wife friendly!

There's a couple of things to consider:

Throw distance - how far away from the screen do you expect the projector to be? Will it be able to fill the screen? You also need to consider your viewing distance.... too close and you'll get a screen door effect.

Aspect ratio - AE100 uses 16:9 panel so the Sony might be a better option since it has a black border. Most of the things you will be watching are in widescreen.

Height of projector - Probably need to be coffee table height so that lens is roughly at same height of the bottom of the screen.

So, if your room is small, go for the Sony. If you have a big room, go for the other one.

Home that helps
nigel_williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:18   #3
wozwebs
Villa Youth!!

Cheers for the advice M8

The only thing i'm worried about is my TV is in one corner of the room with the sofas pointing towards it. Therefore I'd put the projector in front of the current TV when watching movies on the PJ.

The question then is how to connect the DVD player etc to the projector which will have to be behind us now. There's going to be loads of cables to run from the back of the TV in it's current position to where I put the PJ.

A 10m cable running along the carpet is going to decrease the wife friendly factor
wozwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:49   #4
nigel_williams
Trusted User

As it's not a permanent setup, you can coil up the S-Video cable when not in use and hide it behind the TV.

If your DVD can output component, it will give a much better picture.... but that's 3 cables!

My setup is below the loft so the cables run up a wall (inside some trunking) and through the loft to the ceiling mounted projector.
nigel_williams is offline   Reply With Quote