Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-03-2020, 16:46   #1
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Odd difference with two home cinema systems

I have two Home Cinema set-ups as follows:

Lounge: LG 65" C9 OLED TV, Samsung HW Q90R soundbar with rear speakers, Sky Q master box, Sony UBP X800m2 4K BD player

Master Bedroom: Sony 9005 4K 49" TV, Sony HT ZF9 soundbar plus rear speakers, Sky Q mini box and Panasonic DP UB 820 4KBD player

They are both set-up exactly the same way. 4K compatible HDMI cables from the SkY Q box and 4KBD player to the HDMI inputs of the soundbar and then the bar's HDMI out to the TV.

The picture and sound quality is superb for both rooms for Sky Q, Netflix (accessed through Sky) or watching BD and 4KBD movies. But while watching a TV integrated programme like Amazon Prime Video, there is a major and unexplained difference.

In the lounge, clicking Amazon Prime immediately disables ARC (and so the soundbar/ rear speakers go silent) and reactivates the muted TV's speakers. Therefore, I cannot get surround sound while watching an Amazon Prime movie like The Aeronauts in the lounge. We cannot alter this automatic setting change; even the professional who I called was unable to change it.

In the Master Bedroom on the other hand, I can watch Amazon Prime with front bias sound or surround by choosing the option on the soundbar's remote.

Any thoughts on why the lounge set-up does not do this?
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote