Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 16-01-2015, 20:59   #21
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Couldn't even supply an Orange ball for the snow bound live game tonight .What an embarrassment.
Old 17-01-2015, 13:09   #22
fothy123
Trusted User

Would probably have got accused of bigotry if an orange ball was used!
Amazed they even bothered starting the game last night.
Old 20-01-2015, 18:56   #23
Guest 2438
CELTIC FC

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...reen-interview
Old 24-01-2015, 15:18   #24
fothy123
Trusted User

Griffiths finally charged over his racist chant last year, shame that they didn't grant the same bail conditions that others would get that would ban him from attending any football matches till the conclusion of the case.

Nice gesture from Celtic yesterday donating Ł10k to Fernando Ricksens charity game tomorrow.
Old 24-01-2015, 16:17   #25
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,689 Times in 571 Posts
Is that Lee Griffiths?

Nasty piece of work off the field. Glad we got rid of him at Wolves.
Old 24-01-2015, 16:23   #26
andybhoy
Trusted User

Griffiths is a vile creature and always has been.
Old 25-01-2015, 01:30   #27
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Amazing the paper columns that the Griffiths afair is getting , where last week around 300 Rangers fans abuse police and stewards and bellow out the "billy boys" and hardly a peep is reported.
Old 25-01-2015, 16:42   #28
fothy123
Trusted User

It's not really amazing, a current player is arrested for racist chanting while in a pub after Edinburgh derby, so there really hasn't been that much considering. Didn't think there was that much, the ones who usually are quick to write about Rangers fans seemed to be silent on Griffiths for some reason...

As a few folk have pointed out, Griffiths is a horrible creature and an embarrassment to your club.
Old 25-01-2015, 17:22   #29
andybhoy
Trusted User

There's been 28 posts in 6 months - and I'm struggling to see any written about your fans (except for the one from rooster) There's more about griffiths....

Think you're making something of nothing there.
Old 25-01-2015, 20:54   #30
fothy123
Trusted User

I was meaning in the written press as opposed to on here. This thread has been dead this season.

Rangers have been terrible this year, Hearts have been very impressive and look a certainty for automatic promotion and Hibs are hitting form. The SPL has been terrible and as much as folk might claim that it's close, that isn't due to the other teams getting significantly better, Celtic have got worse but if push comes to shove, they will always be able to pull performances and wins out the bag and will win the league with a decent points margin. Scottish football is dire and I can't see it improve much in the near future.

You guys can't be happy with how Celtic have been in the last few years (no trebles) and Lennon got out knowing the board weren't interested in investing in team to compete in European competitions.
Old 25-01-2015, 21:15   #31
andybhoy
Trusted User

Ah I get you, my apologies mate. I do my best to avoid the press entirely.

When you say rangers have been awful, is that based on what people expect (winning every game) or are they awful to watch?

I'm ambivalent about Celtic - ateotd, we've learned that we have to live within our means. That is never going to change now and while it means we are ******* than before, I'm happy enough because maybe less cash will mean the country develops it's talent again.

I quite looking forward to the first ever match between Celtic and your team next month too
Old 25-01-2015, 22:28   #32
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Celtic are living in the real world unlike old and current Rangers by making sure they can pay the bills. You have to be realistic the money is not there for Scottish clubs so for now we can't compete in the Euro comps. The best we can hope for is to qualify and pick up a few points and ocasionally have a good run. It's being realistic and majority of Celtic fans know this , breaking the bank to chase a dream would be the worst road to go down .

As for trebles well winning cups is never easy you just need to look at this weekends FA cup results to see that even the biggest teams get knocked out by the minnows. Trebles are pretty rare in any era.
Old 26-01-2015, 15:41   #33
fothy123
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybhoy View Post
Ah I get you, my apologies mate. I do my best to avoid the press entirely.

When you say rangers have been awful, is that based on what people expect (winning every game) or are they awful to watch?

I'm ambivalent about Celtic - ateotd, we've learned that we have to live within our means. That is never going to change now and while it means we are ******* than before, I'm happy enough because maybe less cash will mean the country develops it's talent again.

I quite looking forward to the first ever match between Celtic and your team next month too
Awful to watch, no creativity, sluggish and boring. Our best player in Lewis McLeod was sold for buttons when he would be likely be worth 3/4 times that in a few years.

Rangers should be looking to win most games in this division, with the games against Hearts and Hibs being the toughest however Hearts are clearly playing much better football and Hibs had a terrible start to the season.

Unfortunately McDowall is playing exactly the same style of football and playing the same team as McCoist was (with players out of position and shoe-horned in - McCulloch still isn't a central defender and hasn't been for the last few years). We have players there that are creative but they aren't either playing well, playing in their best position or are sitting on the bench.

If (big if so far) we get promotion, then it will be through the playoffs and could be up to 3 games to do that. We would be round the bottom four of the SPL with this current squad and manager.

---

You are right Rooster, the money isn't there. Why is there not a sponsor for the league, that's downright embarrassing and heads should roll for that.

I think you guys have a bit more optimism about the future of the game up here but I think it's in a decline that is going to get much worse before it gets better (if at all). Years ago when players left, I was happy enough if they moved up in the world to a decent sized club but folk shouldn't be leaving to go to a low end premiership club or championship club and see it as a step up (although conference league is probably a step up for anyone leaving us just now!).

Celtic haven't had any competition since Rangers went down, had it been reversed then I'd have been disappointed not to win any trebles. That said, I think both clubs pushed each other to grind out wins where now Celtic don't have that push so can relax and probably have become more complacent.

Both our clubs have seen attendances dwindle in the last few years. This year our numbers are incredibly low because the fans are trying to starve the board out so we can try and move the club forward as the current mob haven't got the best interests of the club at heart.
Old 26-01-2015, 15:53   #34
ascender
Trusted User

The Ricksen match yesterday must have been the biggest attendance in the country by a long way this weekend i'd have thought?
Old 26-01-2015, 18:52   #35
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
The Ricksen match yesterday must have been the biggest attendance in the country by a long way this weekend i'd have thought?
Yes great turnout, Was shocked to see how badly the disease has hit Ricksen, really tragic.
Old 26-01-2015, 21:44   #36
andybhoy
Trusted User

Yeah, I saw that. Poor guy was very emotional which is understandable.

I hadn't realised how badly affected he was - I'm glad he got this benefit match.
Old 28-01-2015, 12:53   #37
fothy123
Trusted User

It's horrible how much it has affected him, I seen him on the ice bucket challenge but seeing him at this match was heart breaking. Poor guy, only a couple of years older than me, really makes you think.
Old 01-02-2015, 16:01   #38
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

A comfortable win for Celtic in the League cup semi, can't even remember a Rangers shot on goal. Many forecast a one sided game but I expected it to be tougher as they have beaten 3 spl teams already this season and form book is often upset in Glasgow Derbys . Rangers really are miles behind though and will need to find money from somewhere and make wholesale changes before they can compete.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:21   #39
fothy123
Trusted User

I expected Celtic to win by more, considering the hidings that Hearts and Hibs have dished out to us. Losing McLeod was a massive blow for us as he has been our best player all season. McCulloch is still never a central defender and Simonsen is worse than Ally Maxwell. You are correct that we need investment and wholesale changes before even thinking about competing. The last few years should have been about bringing in good young players who could have learned together for 3 years and been ready. A couple have made some progress with McLeod being the stand out and he has been punted for buttons. Instead we brought in guys like Kevin Kyle!

Whether Dave King and his buddies can take control of the club or not will have a big say in whether the club will progress in the next couple of years.
Old 05-02-2015, 13:30   #40
fothy123
Trusted User

Dave King seems very confident he can push the old board out now and McDowall has probably played a blinder in the last few weeks (Novo being told no longer allowed to train and now this).

They probably are better than most folk in our team anyway so would no doubt have started (maybe one moved out of place to allow McCulloch to start in central defence). They have obviously been told to have them starting so that when they are punted from Newcastle in the summer then they will get a slightly higher fee due to more match time.

In other new, the young lad Kieran Duffy who had a bottle thrown in his face on route to the game last week by someone dressed in green, is going to be leading out the team on Sunday for the Scottish Cup game.
Closed Thread