Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 24-08-2011, 07:36   #181
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Finished Crime and Punishment - only slightly less miserable than I feared but a superb book none the less.

Now started Joseph Conrad's Victory. I love his style and its amazing that he writes as a non-native English speaker.
Old 26-08-2011, 13:25   #182
Bloom
Trusted User

Reading 'A Clash of Kings' second book of Ice and FIre. Enjoyed the first one so hoping this one can keep the pace up.
Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 13:26   #183
Guest 3159
JR shot JFK

Reading "Jupiter's Travels" again.....forgotten how beautifully written it is.

Descriptive prose of the highest order, you can almost smell/taste the countries he meanders through

Guest 3159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:08   #184
Conor
Trusted User

Just finished "Fifty Grand" by Adrian Mc Kinty. Revenge thriller set in Mexico and the US. Not bad.

Now debating whether to read the new Charlie Parker book by John Connolly, Matterhorn, Blood Meridien or Lush Life by Richard Price. Hmmm....
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:55   #185
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeOfVictory View Post
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

About 1/3 of the way through it and struggling a bit if I'm honest
I'm reading this on recommendation from a mate who loved it. He usually knows what I like, but have to say it's losing me. Interesting set-up, lead character, but it's losing me with all its nonsense. I'm hardly through it - probably 1/4 way - and hope it picks up soon.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 15:47   #186
SIMON ADEBISI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Now debating whether to read the new Charlie Parker book by John Connolly, Matterhorn, Blood Meridien or Lush Life by Richard Price. Hmmm....
Blood Meridian, Matterhorn, John Connelly ( im assuming its Burning Soul ) then Lush Life.

Didnt like Lush Life at all. Much preferred Clockers or The Wanderers. Samaritan is a lesser book but its still better than LL.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 15:46   #187
Conor
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI View Post
Blood Meridian, Matterhorn, John Connelly ( im assuming its Burning Soul ) then Lush Life.

Didnt like Lush Life at all. Much preferred Clockers or The Wanderers. Samaritan is a lesser book but its still better than LL.
Cheers Simon, thats what I'll do then!
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 16:12   #188
Guest 752
Trussed User

A little bit of a break from the norm for me with "They Fought at Arnhem" which is a non-fiction account following the individual stories of three of the men who fought at Arnhem during Operation Market Garden in 1944. Fascinating read. Followed by Lavie Tidhars Hebrewpunk which take three aspects of Jewish folklore and presents them as urban fantasy, excellent stuff. I seem to be late to the party with Tidhar, but am enjoying catching up. Currently reading his Bookman series, which is very much in the tradition of the literary-historical mash-ups of Kim Newman and Tim Powers. Also read Nowhere Hall, a short chap book (excellent, but as it was sold out before publication not sure that it will be possible to track down),
Guest 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 21:15   #189
RobDickinson
Trusted User

I'm reading Steven Erikson 10th & final Malazan Book of the Fallen series 'The Crippled God'

TBH its not so much fun so far. Small chapters are making sense, others I dont care about or just seem absolute garbage.

I've read 1-8 multiple times & think I've a good handle on who is who and whats going on. Book 9 just seemed to go all crazy & now book 10 is continuing that on with a totally new plotline.

Just seems to me the guy decided it wasnt deep or complex enough & he still had people keeping up...
Old 05-09-2011, 22:45   #190
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Fancied reading some 80s yuppie fiction so was about to start American Psycho but ended up with Bright Lights, Big City. Not what I had expected but quite a pleasant read so far.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:31   #191
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

just coming near the end of A Clash of Kings. Blimey! about 4 5ths of the book is just politics and posturing etc and then in the last bit it all goes bat**** crazy! Should make for some excellent episodes when the series hits tv.

Noticed someone had started this a few posts up as well so...

Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:02   #192
Guest 752
Trussed User

Finished The Bookman, which was enjoyable enough but maybe a little superficial.

Thosevwhou fight monsters - short story collection which was distinctly average, but perhaps should be seen as a taster for the Urban Fantasy series of the 14 contributors.

The fantastic Dead Bad Things, which is pretty dark and grimy, but a compelling read, even if you do feel the need for a shower every time you put it down.

Last edited by SShaw; 11-09-2011 at 10:02.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:14   #193
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Just finished The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson - a gripping and funny tale of a Scots minister who meets the devil and no one believes him. Raises a lot of interesting questions about modern day religion, has a great sense of place (having grown up near where this is set I can testify to how accurately Robertson has captured the mores and feel of this type of place) and is beautifully written.
Old 15-09-2011, 21:31   #194
roddy
Trusted User

Reading Born to Run -ultramarathon runners and that Mexican tribe that runs millions of miles for fun. Just happened to pick it up as I needed something to read, but really enjoying it.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 17:20   #195
rumbletum
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Reading Born to Run -ultramarathon runners and that Mexican tribe that runs millions of miles for fun. Just happened to pick it up as I needed something to read, but really enjoying it.
Reading that currently as well, agree with you 100%, very enjoyable
Old 16-09-2011, 20:47   #196
roddy
Trusted User

Finished it today - it's been ages since I've had a real "can't put this down" feeling from a book. This one had me hooked, and it's non-fiction, not even an aircraft carrier or spaceship in sight. The race is built up to beautifully, and the science and evolutionary stuff is fascinating.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 09:22   #197
rumbletum
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Finished it today - it's been ages since I've had a real "can't put this down" feeling from a book. This one had me hooked, and it's non-fiction, not even an aircraft carrier or spaceship in sight. The race is built up to beautifully, and the science and evolutionary stuff is fascinating.
Finished it this morning, best thing I've read in a good while
Old 17-09-2011, 21:24   #198
Guest 752
Trussed User

Had Michael Marshall's "Killer Mover" on my bookshelf for a couple of months (which is in itself unusual as I normally read his books as they arrive) and finally started reading it yesterday evening. Finished it today. Given that the last couple of books have been distinctly average (perhaps the reason I had let this one sit so long?) it was a surprise to find he has rediscovered all of the things that made him great in the past. This is a tight, tense return to form. This book manages to wind up the tension as you read, and while I accept the narrative is a perhaps more linear than earlier books for about 3/4 of this book he manages to keep you on the edge of understanding. The need to understand what is happening kept me turning the pages long after I had intended and as a consequence many of the things I had planned for today remain undone. Next up is Lavie Tidhar's latest novella "Jesus and the eight-fold path" which arrived unexpectedly today (its not due to be launched until Fantasy.con). If the blurb is to be believed imagines Christ receiving training in the far east (I'm thinking Jesus in a Bruce Lee film). Will start it tomorrow.

So not quite a Bruce Lee film. More a mash up between the new testament and the classic sixteenth century Chinese novel Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (the inspiration fro the TV series Monkey). Tadhir casts Monkey, Pigsy and Sandman as the three wise men who take Jesus to Egypt and instruct him in martial arts and the ways of the Buddha. Kung Fu Jesus returns home as the Hebrew Fist and together with his gang of disciples wages an insurrection against the occupying Roman forces. With chapters like "Rumble in the Temple" in which Jesus uses his martial arts prowess to eject the money lenders from the temple the book is a lot of fun while simultaneously looking at the parallels between two major world religions (Christianity and Buddhism). Recommended.

Also read Nicolas Royle's Regicide, which from the beginning is an unsettling read. I have a great deal of time for his work as author, editor and publisher and would like to like this more than I do, but there is something missing that I can't put my finger on.

Finally I ma just coming to the end of Robert Rankin's latest book The Mechanical Messiah and Other Marvels of the Age. I guess you either appreciate Rankin's genius or you don't. I do, and he is on fine form here. Although he only seems to be writing one book a year these days (compared to previous years when two books was the norm) they do seem to be getting longer, this tome weighs in at almost 500 pages.

Last edited by SShaw; 24-09-2011 at 20:32.
Old 26-09-2011, 11:00   #199
Guest 80674
Banned

currently reading

Well I am currently reading my favorite author's book.Sidney Sheldon's After the Darkness by Tilly Bagshawe.
Guest 80674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 22:58   #200
Guest 752
Trussed User

A couple of train journeys over the weekend provided the time to finish Lavie Tidhars Camera Obscura, a pretty decent follow up to The Bookman. I also read two chap books, Isabel Jane and The joy of technology, both of which were fantastic. Then to finish I read Low Town: The straight razor cure, which is a fantasy police procedural. First book in what I guess will become a series. Although there was very little new here, I enjoyed the read.

Rotten Row, another novella from PS Publishing. Dig by John Preston, I picked this up by accident in a 2 for 3 offer 3 or so years ago. It's a book about an archeological investigation on the eve of the second world war, I enjoyed it but struggle to recall anything interesting.

This weekend also inished Mark Kermodes latest rant, sorry book The good, The bad and the Multiplex. The book presents six cogent reasons for the decline of mainstream cinema. I agree with his central thesis, if not some of his detailed points. The chapter on how blockbusters are essentially risk free for the studios was particularly interesting. If you appreciate Kermode, then you will probably enjoy this book.

Last edited by SShaw; 16-10-2011 at 08:55.