Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 28-12-2011, 14:24   #101
riz1
Trusted User

Just finished the Lies if Locke Lamora and it was ace.
Leviathan Awakes is on the list after I finish the one I just started - Conquerer's Shadow or something like that....
Also recently read the Brandon Sanderson Infinity Blade - Awakening novella and that was good too.
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 20:52   #102
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Finished The Name of the Wind tonight, it was great. I spent most of yesterday reading it instead of doing work. A hell of a lot longer than it had any need to be, but an extremely enjoyable reading experience.

Back to Star Wars books now, and then the new Mass Effect novel next week.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 07:17   #103
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Finished The Name of the Wind tonight, it was great. I spent most of yesterday reading it instead of doing work. A hell of a lot longer than it had any need to be, but an extremely enjoyable reading experience.
Wait until you read the sequel "Wise Man's Fear"!

Don't know if anybody has read Jasper Kent's books - currently reading the latest (3rd) of his Danilov Quintent. It's basically set against a turbulent Russia in the 1800s. The first in the series "Twelve" covers Napolean's invasion of Russia.
The writing is excellent, you get the feeling that the history is well researched. The twelve in the title refers to the group of Vampire's fighting on the Russians side and although it sets the series up nicely, it's an excellent novel in it's own right.
Old 13-06-2012, 18:46   #104
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Just noticed that Caliban's War, the sequel to Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey, was released last week.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 13-06-2012 at 18:47.
Old 13-06-2012, 19:08   #105
roddy
Trusted User

Now I know I was waiting for that - damned if I can remember what Leviathan Wakes is about though....
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 20:23   #106
RobDickinson
Trusted User

I think Leviathan Wakes was OK if I remember correctly, not stellar but ok.

Big thumbs up for Daniel Suarez's books - Daemon & the follow up book Freedom(TM)

Hitech modern cyber what if story, its like if William Gibson merged with Tom Clancy.
Old 14-06-2012, 10:48   #107
CS
Jedi Master

Definitely recommend Daemon and Freedom TM. Very fast paced, and very IT techy bits in there. Loved them both. Have the audiobooks, and the reader is good too.

Spacecorps Directive 34124 - No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity.'
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 11:15   #108
roddy
Trusted User

Finished Caliban's War - loved it, will certainly be getting the final book of the trilogy. Plot cracks along at a good pace, characters are plausible and the writing provides a few smiles.

Can't remember enjoying Leviathan Wakes this much, but I'm going to be having a look at the author's back catalog to see if there's anything to keep me going.
Old 17-06-2012, 12:36   #109
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Any other books by "James S.A. Corey" would be by Daniel Abraham, as Corey is a pen name for books written by Abraham with Ty Franck (who is George R.R. Martin's assistant).
Old 17-06-2012, 16:31   #110
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Daniel Abraham also writes urban fantasy as MLN Hanover - good fun.

Abraham's "Long Price" quartet was my book(s) of the year a few years ago - genuinely interesting, thoughtful, and disturbing magical fantasy with an oriental feel.
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 16:45   #111
roddy
Trusted User

Yeah, I think I might actually have tried some of his fantasy stuff in the past and not got into it - should take another look.

Last edited by roddy; 17-06-2012 at 16:45.
Old 27-07-2012, 09:24   #112
roddy
Trusted User

By way of a heads-up, Joe Abercrombie has a new book out - Red Country. Same universe, mostly new people I think.
Old 27-07-2012, 09:47   #113
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
By way of a heads-up, Joe Abercrombie has a new book out - Red Country. Same universe, mostly new people I think.
Just finished The Blade Itself absolutely loved it, been meaning to read it for ages and I'm glad I finally got round to it (it's next month's book club book). A bit gruesome/dark in places but very good. Starting the second one now ( Before They are Hanged).

I'll definitely be reading his new one!
Old 27-07-2012, 11:04   #114
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Red Country isn't out until October - really looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan175 View Post
Just finished The Blade Itself absolutely loved it, been meaning to read it for ages and I'm glad I finally got round to it (it's next month's book club book). A bit gruesome/dark in places but very good. Starting the second one now ( Before They are Hanged).

I'll definitely be reading his new one!
Currently reading "Before They Are Hanged" for the 2nd time (first read 5 years ago). I making my way through the First Law trilogy in preparation for the new book because of the chance of important returing characters

Although there's been some great fantasy debuts in the last 5 or 6 years, for me, Abercrombie is miles ahead of the competition. His characters are fantastically realized and Glokta is the finest character I've ever come across in any book or film.

Last edited by Rob; 27-07-2012 at 11:06.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 12:14   #115
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Wait until you read the sequel "Wise Man's Fear"!
Just finished that last week, absolutely brilliant! It's rare for me to get through 1000 page books so fast.
Old 27-07-2012, 20:56   #116
roddy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Red Country isn't out until October - really looking forward to it.
Oops - saw the Amazon page, but wasn't buying so didn't notice it was pre-order.
Old 28-07-2012, 12:34   #117
pburnage
xbox live: triptix21

[QUOTE=allan175;9704258]Just finished The Blade Itself absolutely loved it, been meaning to read it for ages and I'm glad I finally got round to it (it's next month's book club book). A bit gruesome/dark in places but very good. Starting the second one now ( Before They are Hanged).

I'll definitely be reading his new one! [/QUOTE

The Blade Itself is reduced as part of the Amazon Kindle Marathon- see the bargain section for details
Old 13-08-2012, 22:31   #118
Vulcan101
More DVD's please

Just read "Extinction Point" by Paul Anthony Jones.

It's in the great tradition of apocalypse fiction like "Day of the Triffids", "The death of Grass" and I am Legend. I have always enjoyed disaster fiction, though most of what is being published at the moment is of the "Zombies are going to eat your face" variety and I felt like reading something different. Looking through Amazon, this sort of appealed, mainly because it wasn't another zombie apocalypse story and I thought it might be an OK read. So I took the plunge and bought it.

The heroine of the story is a young journalist Emily Baxter, who lives in New York. Suddenly all round the world red rain falls from even cloudless skies and a few hours later almost everyone is horrifically dead...in fact she may be the only human in the USA to have survived. I'm not spoilering this as its all on the book jacket. It covers the rain itself and the increasingly weird and horrific events after it all happens. Some parts of it are disturbing in a Lovecraftian sense and he does create a nice feeling of the eerie silence of post rain New York. The only quibble I would have is that as a journalist, she doesn't document some of the things she sees or does. A few diary entries and some photography might have been expected and could give us a better feeling for what she is going through.

Those points aside, I would recommend this to anyone looking for a newer take on survival in a post-apocalyptic world, some part of it were genuinely creepy and I really enjoyed it. I would have read it in one sitting if I hadn't had to go to work.

It's the first part of a series. The book itself comes as a trade paperback (possibly print on demand) or as a kindle download. Part two is out in September.

Extinction Point - book one (Kindle) Extinction Point - Book One (Paperback)
“Life is not an easy matter. You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness” Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Vulcan101; 13-08-2012 at 22:35.
Vulcan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 10:26   #119
riz1
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Just finished that last week, absolutely brilliant! It's rare for me to get through 1000 page books so fast.
Indeed.
It is just as well I have Steve Erikson's Books of the Fallen to churn through as otherwise:
Brendan Sanderson's Way of Kings sequel - 2013/14
New Books from Brent Weeks, Peter Brett (Painted Man series), Patrick Rothfuss follow-ups all ages away
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 08:51   #120
Rob
Indie Author

Just finished The Straight Razor Cure by Daniel Polansky.

It's a detective/noir type story set in a fantasy city. The writing is excellent and although for the first few pages I thought it was a bit too "What's the word on the street?/Show Shine man (if you've seen Police Squad!), I can highly recommend it.

I reckon this guy is a major new talent to keep an eye on. If you like Joe Abercrombie & Scott Lynch etc., you'll probably like this. Next in the series is out in October.