Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 26-09-2014, 11:47   #181
Rob
Indie Author

Just finished The Thousand Names by Django Wexler.
Very enjoyable and well written book - a "magic and muskets" kind of thing, with most of the book taken up by a Victorian-style military campaign in a fantasy world's version of Egypt.
Old 26-09-2014, 19:27   #182
uk_mez
Groover

Quote:
Originally Posted by umajets View Post
On a bit of a sci-fi binge at the mo -

Reread:
John Scalzi's 'Redshirts' which is great fun. Star Trek gone meta.
Ernest Cline's 'Ready Player One' - video games, dystopian future, packed full of 80s references - loved it!

Just finished:
Claire North's 'The first fifteen lives of Harry August' - a man relives his life over and over - much more gripping than it sounds! Recommended.

Currently reading:
M R Carey's "The girl with all the gifts". Only about half an hour into it (I got the audiobook) but it's certainly intriguing.

My 'to be read' pile:
John Scalzi's 'Lock In'
Cheers for recommending these, I've rattled through Ready Player One, The Girl With All The Gifts and Harry August in the past week and a half and enjoyed them all. Also read Lock-In before those and might try Redshirts next. Harry August I've been really impressed by, the title sounds a little twee but the book and its themes are anything but that!
uk_mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 12:29   #183
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by umajets View Post
Just finished:
Claire North's 'The first fifteen lives of Harry August' - a man relives his life over and over - much more gripping than it sounds! Recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbers View Post
Just finished Off to be the Wizard by Scott Meyer. Thought it was a fun idea and was a good read. Managed to borrow it on Amazon prime as well. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...w_bottom_links
It has been ages since I read any good sci fi or fantasy and in the last few years all I have read is one star trek trilogy and the Game of Thrones books.

I have bought these two have started with The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August as I loved the premise of the book and really enjoying it so far it gets straight to the point.

Looking forward to reading Wizard afterward.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 14:13   #184
umajets
full time scribbler

Glad you both enjoyed/enjoying Harry August. One of my favourite reads this year.
umajets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:05   #185
Mike Mither
Trusted User

Just finished Harry August on the strength of the comments here, and I'm glad I did. Great read, turning a concept that's been used before (I thought it sounded a bit Groundhog Day) and doing something really entertaining and original with it. Highly recommended.
Old 12-10-2014, 18:42   #186
VurtHed
No Bounce, No Play

Ha, just finished it too! One of the best books I've read for a long while. I've had it on my ebook for a while, and bumped it up as my next book based on comments in here. So thanks!
VurtHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 09:07   #187
daboy3000
Gone

I started The Dreaming Void and just couldn't get on with it, its very tiring reading lots of completely made up names for things in my opinion. Not sure if i should retry on just move on.

I like D.J Molles and Frank Tayell's zombie books at the moment, would like to find a sci-fi/space book with more that style of writing, any ideas?
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 09:11   #188
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
I started The Dreaming Void and just couldn't get on with it, its very tiring reading lots of completely made up names for things in my opinion. Not sure if i should retry on just move on.
I struggled with it too. I loved both his earlier series' but I just couldn't get into the first Void book at all. I do plan to give it another go.
Old 13-10-2014, 10:07   #189
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Until the Void I was in the habit of buying those big fat hardbacks as they came out - I really couldn't wait for a new Hamilton... But I think I read the first one, bought the second dutifully on release date but kept it to read with the third and..... well I never went back to them. Not sure I enjoyed the fantasy world aspect of it enough.
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 11:03   #190
VurtHed
No Bounce, No Play

Dreaming Void was my first Hamilton, and I really liked it. I'm actually in the middle of the sequel right now, and enjoying that too. I like the fantasy sections more than I thought I might, but I can see why the books would drag if you don't.
VurtHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 19:13   #191
zantarous

I enjoyed Off to be a Wizard immensely so much so I am now reading the second book.
Old 15-10-2014, 07:56   #192
daboy3000
Gone

I have just downloaded a sample of Wizard, ready for when I finish my current book, also got Mogworld as I like Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's game reviews.
Old 15-10-2014, 08:15   #193
fabbers
XBL: fabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I enjoyed Off to be a Wizard immensely so much so I am now reading the second book.
Let me know how that shapes up, have it downloaded but haven't found the time yet.
fabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 20:52   #194
ji
Just another member

It's not really fantasy, and is based on real events, but if you enjoy fantasy the Conn Igulden books on Gengis Khan and Julius Caesar are well worth a read. He has taken historical events, tweaked them for dramatic effect, and then invented dialogue, plots etc to connect them - they read very much like a fantasy novel.

His new series is in the same vein on the war of the roses - also very good, but less 'fantastical'
Old 13-11-2014, 13:47   #195
avid fan
Trusted User

Anyone read John Gwyne?? - reviews for his book 'Malice - The faithful and the fallen book 1' have very good reviews on Amazon and comparisons with GoT

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malice-Book-...8WHERPC59ZZQDB
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 18:30   #196
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I've started reading The Witcher books by Andrej Sapkowski. Fun, messy fantasy which focuses on the morality of being a monster-slayer looked upon as a freak by the world. If you've played the games then these tell the rather complex back story of Geralt of Rivia, of which many plot points are revisited in the games.

Books 1 and 2 are short story collections, after that they are proper novels forming a story. The first book is out in English, but the 2nd is only available with a fan translation - which is decent but provides some obstacles.

The good news is, all of the books have now been confirmed to be getting official English translations.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 08:48   #197
daboy3000
Gone

Could someone who has read Off to be a Wizard answer a question for me?

I'm only up to the bit where he agrees to start training so maybe they haven't explained it yet or did I miss that bit?

So far though I think its great.
Old 29-01-2015, 21:08   #198
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
Could someone who has read Off to be a Wizard answer a question for me?

I'm only up to the bit where he agrees to start training so maybe they haven't explained it yet or did I miss that bit?

So far though I think its great.
Old 30-01-2015, 09:31   #199
daboy3000
Gone

Thanks zantarous.

I guess they have the power to make power. I'm loving it, just thought I might have missed the explanation somehow.
Old 16-04-2015, 05:50   #200
Mike Mither
Trusted User

Not so much of a recommendation, but I'm currently reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.

It's the tale of this woman, who's a witch from a famous witching family, who works in Oxford University. She happens across a book that contains some vital secrets about the history of witches, daemons and vampires (the story's told in a world where these three 'creatures exist), and thanks to that she becomes the focal point for people from all three races who want to get their hands on the book. Chief among these is an ancient vampire, who still looks young, with whom she strikes up a burgeoning relationship, but is he really interested in her or just in what she knows about the book...?

I want to like it. It's quite well written, and I think what drew me to it in the first place is that the most recent instalment in the trilogy was Goodreads' highest rated fantasy novel of 2014. But it's slow going, I don't feel the investment in the characters that I should, and there's an element of 'adult Twilight' to it all that's growing all the time.

Just over halfway through and slogging by now - I wondered if anyone else had read it and, if so, their thoughts...