Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 16-11-2005, 13:29   #1
d2000s
Trusted User

The Ultimate Fighting Championship UFC 56 Full Force ***TONIGHT***9.45pm on Bravo

Should be a good show:

UFC 56 NOVEMBER 19TH - LAS VEGAS

Will be shown on Sunday 20th November 9.45pm on Bravo

Welterweight Championship Title Fight
- Matt Hughes (37-4-0) vs Joe Riggs (23-6-0)

Middleweight Championship Title Fight
- Rich Franklin (18-1-0) vs Nate Quarry (8-1-0)

Lightheavyweight Bout
- Sam Hoger (5-1-0) vs Jeff Newton(4-1-0)

Middleweight Bout
- Jeremy Horn (75-14-5) vs Trevor Prangley(11-2-0)

Welterweight Bouts
- Sean Sherk (29-1-1) vs Georges St.Pierre (10-1-0)
- Nick Thompson (21-8-1) vs. Keith Wisniewski (21-7-1)
- Thiago Alves (13-3-0) Vs. Ansar Chalangov (7-0-0)

Heavyweight Bout
- Kevin Jordan (6-3-0) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (4-1-0)

Last edited by d2000s; 20-11-2005 at 14:26.
d2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 13:48   #2
SJ
Superior Member

Looking forward to the Hughes, Franklin and GSP fight. They should all win although Sherk is in with a fairly good chance. The other fights arent anything special on paper. When is the bushido Finale? Now that will be top quality.
SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 13:59   #3
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
When is the bushido Finale? Now that will be top quality.
The 2 finals are on the Pride New Years Eve show
Old 16-11-2005, 18:42   #4
mitch316
giddyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s
The 2 finals are on the Pride New Years Eve show
and genki vs kid in k-1 nye.
Old 19-11-2005, 15:51   #5
Guest 11894
Trusted User

Card looked a little odd with 7 fights listed rather than the usual 8 (5 + 3 fight undercard). d2000s missed one:

Thiago Alves (13-3-0) Vs. Ansar Chalangov (7-0-0)

Cant say either name means alot to me, but Im guessing its an undercard fight that we'll only see if theres time (and even then maybe not on Bravo version)

It wasnt a great looking card to start with, and (as already mentioned in the other thread) since Hughes/Riggs is now non-title after Riggs couldnt the weight (rather farcically) its looking rather poor.

Heres hoping for a good fight between Sherk & GSP. Sadly Im not expecting too much from the rest of the card.
Guest 11894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2005, 16:27   #6
Guest 52699
Banned

Can't say i'm particularly siked about Sam Hoger getting a shot on PPV, would want to see Leben get a shot more than him, same with about 5 others from TUF1.

Looking forward to the St Pierre fight for sure tho, and Quarry / Franklin is an odd matchup at this time, but it should be entertaining.
Guest 52699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2005, 05:46   #7
Guest 52699
Banned

Just finished (maybe there's one undercard fight left, but i'm really tired) overall a good show, one bad fight.. the rest were enjoyable. Three anouncements (1 fight, TUF3 Coaches, 'New' Signing) plus the headlining fight for UFC57 mentioned, so keep an eye out for those. Overall thumbs up, but they must be feeling the competition recently, both Pride and K-1 recently have been excellent.
Guest 52699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2005, 16:32   #8
Guest 32046
Trusted User

Not long now. I tried to catch a live stream last night, thinking it started at midnight. Turns out it would've been 3am.
Guest 32046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2005, 20:51   #9
Guest 32046
Trusted User

Guest 32046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2005, 22:17   #10
d3m0n
Gamertag: d3m0n uk

Just finished watching it and i have to say, boring for a main UFC card, only a couple of good fights. My two highlights have to be "that" knockout and the news of next year. (Vague enough not to have to spoiler)
d3m0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 00:46   #11
dmb6473a
Trusted User

The only real positives to come out of this show were
, and the announcements for 2006. Still, as much as I'm looking forward to the fights, its a sad state that the only real money draws are the same fighters from the past few years (Couture, Liddel, Ortiz and Shamrock).

Last edited by dmb6473a; 21-11-2005 at 00:48.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 10:37   #12
d2000s
Trusted User

Yeah, poor show overall, Sherk vs GSP was the best fight imo. Hughes and Franklin were both impressive, but very one-sided fights.
The announcements were probably the best portion of the night and Bravo cut most of them. The Welterweight division in the UFC is now well and truly the strongest, in terms of depth anywhere in the world, BJ Penn coming back is huge news. I hope they keep Sherk around, despite the loss, I still think he is a top fighter and he could help make some interesting matchups.
Tito and Ken for TUF 3 will make for some good TV. With re-signing Tito and BJ, for once Dana White deserves some credit for putting personal issues aside and doing whats best for UFC.

I was surprised that Diego got booed when they showed him at the PPV, thought it was only a small section of internet fans that hated him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb6473a
its a sad state that the only real money draws are the same fighters from the past few years (Couture, Liddel, Ortiz and Shamrock).
Well obviously those guys are the biggest draws and could support a PPV by themselves, but dont you consider Franklin, Hughes, Griffin, Arlovski or Mir draws? I think the UFC could put together some nice cards that would draw with the guys they have on the books at the moment.
Old 21-11-2005, 10:54   #13
Guest 11894
Trusted User

Surprised the dodgy commentator hasnt been mentioned so far: although not as bad as the guy that did UFN2 he really didnt seem to know what he was talking about most of the time. Still Rogan generated a couple of laughs from me (Snipes, steroids, 'they all look the same to you?', etc).

Quote:
Arlovski or Mir
Only against each other, although I guess a comeback fight for Mir would be interesting enough regardless of the opponent. The heavyweight divison is a bit of a joke overall: they have noone else as a credible opponent for those guys.
Guest 11894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 11:10   #14
SJ
Superior Member

Quote:
Well obviously those guys are the biggest draws and could support a PPV by themselves, but dont you consider Franklin, Hughes, Griffin, Arlovski or Mir draws? I think the UFC could put together some nice cards that would draw with the guys they have on the books at the moment.
Agree with that comment with the exception of Griffin. The general public love him because of TUF1, but he still has to really prove himself IMO. If he faces Tito in April as suggested he had better get his ass in gear and get training super hard, otherwise he will get KTFO.

UFC56 had some good fights, GSP was in top form, very impressive. Hughes looked unbeatable and Franklin was devastating. Quarry shouldnt have even been in the ring with him, i think he realised that about 1min into the fight. His nose looked in rough shape afterwards.

How many times did the commentators mix up Trevor and Travis? FFS

Roll on TUF3 Tito and Ken will be awesome. Anyone reading sherdog will have seen the Tito interview where he said he had signed with WFA about a week ago, obviously that has been kicked into touch. Just as well to be honest, i think he adds to the UFC and respect to Dana for getting him back.
BJ and Mir back as well is great news. Hopefully see Arlovski vs Mir in the next 8 months which will be a mega fight. GSP also deserves a shot at Hughes again, he looked seriously tight.

All in all its great to have a bit of good news from the UFC, it looked to be getting a bit stagnant over the last few months but these are some moves in the right direction.

Its not that i cant stop...its that i wont stop..
SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 11:45   #15
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Only against each other, although I guess a comeback fight for Mir would be interesting enough regardless of the opponent.
I disagree, I think Arlovski is a big draw, even against other fighters, he certainly got a huge reception when they brought him into the ring with Mir.
The UFC are clearly trying desperately to find contenders in the heavyweight division, but failing miserably. Personally, I could care less about the division as I care more about the lighter weights, but I wish they would find a couple of decent guys who could make decent matchups rather than having to watch guys like Gonzaga and Jordan fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
Agree with that comment with the exception of Griffin. The general public love him because of TUF1,
Exactly, all I said was he was a draw, I dont think he is a top contender.
Old 21-11-2005, 13:57   #16
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:

I don't disagree. They have a lot of good matches that could be put together. But I think you hit the nail on the head with two comments.

Firstly, about Couture, Liddell, Ortiz and Shamrock being able to carry a PPV by themselves. That's my point. UFC is seriously in need of creating a new superstar, now that they are getting the additional exposure from Spike TV, because they are no longer aiming at just the hardcore audience. They need a hook for the casual fan who isn't going to buy a show featuring good fighters that they haven't heard of.

The second point is regarding Hughes and Franklin and their one-sided fights. Both are great fighters, but they aren't being done any favours by the lack of quality in their opposition. Riggs and Quarry were way out of their depth. I like George St Pierre, but I still don't see him coming close to beating Hughes. I felt the same about Karo Parysian. Maybe BJ Penn will increase the interest.

As for the heavyweight division, other than Mir and Arlovsky, it's a dead duck. Arlovsky is a draw in the arena. Then again, that was a very knowledgable audience on Saturday. I don't think he can draw big by himself.

It's all about hype, though, and it says a lot when they're promoting Ortiz (a guy who has fallen out with the company many times, and is past his best) and Shamrock (beaten in his last two fights, once by old man Sakuraba, and close to retirement), than they are their current champions. Liddell being the exception.

Last edited by dmb6473a; 21-11-2005 at 13:59.
Old 21-11-2005, 14:24   #17
d2000s
Trusted User

While I take your points I believe the casual fan does know the fighters I listed, Mir perhaps being the possible exception, but is a guy easily promoted.
Regarding the one-sided fights, this was down to a lot of bad luck as well as some bad planning. Karo vs Hughes would have been a closer fight, although I agree that Hughes would still have won, but the injury coming with such short notice was unlucky. With Franklin, Marquardt would have been fighting him, but he had the drug test issue - but I still think they could have got someone better than Quarry.

Quote:
It's all about hype, though, and it says a lot when they're promoting Ortiz (a guy who has fallen out with the company many times, and is past his best) and Shamrock (beaten in his last two fights, once by old man Sakuraba, and close to retirement), than they are their current champions. Liddell being the exception.
Did they not just promote Hughes and Franklin though the TV show and then having them headline a PPV?

Also, GSP definately has a very strong chance against Hughes, its close to 50/50 in my eyes and if I had to bet, I would bet on GSP. But I love the UFCs Welterweight division, there are so many matchups I want to see in it, especially with BJ back. We have Hughes, BJ, GSP, Karo, Diego, Diaz, Sherk and also potentially Trigg and Mayhem (although not on books at the moment I believe they could/will be brought back in), it couldn't be much stronger.
Old 21-11-2005, 14:27   #18
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Quote:
but they aren't being done any favours by the lack of quality in their opposition. Riggs and Quarry were way out of their depth. I like George St Pierre, but I still don't see him coming close to beating Hughes.

Riggs was being touted to cause an upset by many experts, he is no slouch. I reckon not making weight dealt a huge psychological blow to him before the match.

I reckon GSP would take Hughes, he had the better of him in their first match and was subbed due to his inexperience at the time. He also hadn't slept for 2 days due to nerves before the fight.

He has come on leaps and bounds since then, you just have to look at how he destroyed Trigg and Sherk to see Hughes should be a very worried man.
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 18:50   #19
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
While I take your points I believe the casual fan does know the fighters I listed, Mir perhaps being the possible exception, but is a guy easily promoted.

Did they not just promote Hughes and Franklin though the TV show and then having them headline a PPV?

Also, GSP definately has a very strong chance against Hughes, its close to 50/50 in my eyes and if I had to bet, I would bet on GSP. But I love the UFCs Welterweight division, there are so many matchups I want to see in it, especially with BJ back. We have Hughes, BJ, GSP, Karo, Diego, Diaz, Sherk and also potentially Trigg and Mayhem (although not on books at the moment I believe they could/will be brought back in), it couldn't be much stronger.

I really can't see Mir and Arlovsky being well-known by the general public. Hughes and Franklin do have an edge, in that they've appeared on the Spike show, but from what I've heard from the States, the PPV and Spike specials have been promoted really badly. Also, it's just as much about promoting the challenger as the champion. I don't think they emphasised the fights enough, and in general gave a "Oh, by the way. Hughes and Franklin are on the next PPV" comment.

As for St Pierre vs Hughes, I'd bet on George too. But only because I think the odds on Hughes wouldn't be too appealing. I couldn't agree more that the division is strong, and the potential is there for the development of superstar fighters. I justthink that so far they haven't done it, and Matt Hughes is currently way ahead of everyone. A bit like Mike Tyson in the 1980s/90s, but with less charisma.
Old 21-11-2005, 19:55   #20
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
I really can't see Mir and Arlovsky being well-known by the general public. Hughes and Franklin do have an edge, in that they've appeared on the Spike show, but from what I've heard from the States, the PPV and Spike specials have been promoted really badly.
Didnt the TUF Final get the biggest UFC audience ever? They must be doing something right with there promotion.

Anyway, regardless of whether Matt Hughes is the best welterweight by far or not, I just want to see them all fight each other - if only they could do a tournament