Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 15-11-2005, 10:45   #41
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Yep, my thoughts exactly, plus easier to lend out. Will cancel my order and go for that I think.

Cheers
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 11:37   #42
SheepDip
I dunno....

Old thread alert

Well, I re-read these, but I had an excuse as my daughter wanted them reading to her.

I loved these as a kid, but wow - I never realised just how much the religious references are rammed in.
It does explain some things I always used to wonder - how "Aslan" despite it being allegedly "his land" doesn't really seem to care very much, and is quite content to let the bad guys (Or are they really ) march in and take over, cause wars etc, where in a fantasy novel, you'd half expect him to go in and kick some arse every so often. Also the various "tests of faith - as in who is worthy to see me" stuff.

I find them a bit sad and reflective, as the passage of time and change (For my interpretation anyway) really seems illustrated.

Maybe controversial, but I really think now, realising what the subtext is, the religious stuff - especially in the later ones - really "spoils" it. As for the last book, what a mess I wouldn't read that one, as I think it spoils the whole series for kids, not to mention it's both confusing, and frankly barking mad
SheepDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 11:49   #43
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

I think your views on how much you think the religious subtext spoils it now is in line with how this country has changed over the last 50 years or so since they were written.

Faith was a far bigger part to this country then and its erosion has gotten to the point now whereby it is seen as a negative for any part of it to be in our lives.

Last edited by Ono; 22-11-2008 at 11:50.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 11:52   #44
drush9999
Trusted User

Always remember as a kid, you were always advised not to read The Magician's Nephew and The Last Battle until you had read all the others, ignoring the numbers on the spine.

I would just read:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawntreader
The Silver Chair

and then skip the rest, which I always do when re-reading them
drush9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 12:12   #45
SheepDip
I dunno....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ono View Post
I think your views on how much you think the religious subtext spoils it now is in line with how this country has changed over the last 50 years or so since they were written.

Faith was a far bigger part to this country then and its erosion has gotten to the point now whereby it is seen as a negative for any part of it to be in our lives.
You could be right there fella.
I'm not against religion, I perhaps just find it strange to be preached at in a kids book. Maybe though at one time, it was very normal for books to contain lots of religious intertwining.
Now I think about it, many of the older books I've read do contain quite a lot of religious references, and the characters are quite religious.
That's perhaps something to remember - these are older books now, it's easy to forget as unlike say Enid Blyton books, they aren't full of dated stereotypes, and feel quite "fresh" still.

I still say the last one though is totally barking
Old 22-11-2008, 12:15   #46
SheepDip
I dunno....

Anyone re-reading though, I'd really recommend not skipping "The horse and his boy". It was always one of my favourites, as it was so much of an "aside". Didn't particularly fit in to any of the others, but certainly not one to read first - perhaps read this one last.