Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 23-07-2008, 19:53   #241
roddy
Trusted User

Given the delays for this one, and the fact that I don't think there's even a schedule for the others (and if there is it might not be stuck to) I wouldn't worry about it. Just read 'em when you want to. They stand up very well to a second read so you can always go back to them if you feel you've forgotten too much to read a new release.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 20:29   #242
Guest 49794
XBL: kerzo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Amazon.co.uk now has April 2009 for the hardback, May for the paperback. If you read his blog - it's not finished, and he's on holiday in Spain

And for all the people who clicked on the thread thinking 'OMFG has it been published?' - sorry!

This is probably the worst piece of news I have EVER heard

OK slight exaggeration but it is quite gutting!
Guest 49794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 20:37   #243
roddy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr starface View Post
Just want to thank people for mentioning The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. Am halfway through the second book in the series and its fantastic, cant put it down.

Highly recommended for anyone waiting an age for the next one in this series!
Got the first book after reading that, and will second both the gratitude and recommendation - have been reading this at every spare moment. Written by a Brit, and it shows in the humour.
Old 25-07-2008, 10:39   #244
Guest 24292
My mind is scrambled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Amazon.co.uk now has April 2009 for the hardback, May for the paperback. If you read his blog - it's not finished, and he's on holiday in Spain

And for all the people who clicked on the thread thinking 'OMFG has it been published?' - sorry!
WTF? Steven Erikson is busy with his 9th book of Malazan epic series and will be likely complete the final 10th before GRRM's Dance of Dragons gets published!
Guest 24292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 19:26   #245
Guest 2190
or Timmah

Bit of a thread revival, but here goes...

Just finished the first book, and flying in the face of thread opinion, I'm not that impressed so far.

It's a series I've been meaning to pick up for a while, as it's had such universal praise, but it hasn't wowed me at all.

I'll happily carry on with the series to see where it goes, it's an enjoyable enough read, but in the same terms as any other SF&F pulp fiction.
I've found Martin's writing to be a bit clumsy in places, the characters are all a bit 2-dimensional (despite their Machiavellian tendencies) and the plot isn't all that thrilling so far.
I sometimes get the impression that the narrative is trying too hard to shock or surprise in places.
I admire that he's tried to create a grittier world that doesn't shy away from sex and violence, but the narrative in some of those scenes switches between laugh out loud funny or cringe worthy at times.
The plot itself is a decent enough political intrigue, but it sometimes becomes a bit too 'I bet you didn't know this was going to happen - ha!' when in reality it was pretty evident what was coming.

Not wanting to troll the thread for fans, it's by no means the worst I've read. Just not great.
Guest 2190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:25   #246
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

i got the audiobook of book 1 read by Roy Dotrice.

Roy Dotrice is a ****. I gave up after 30 minutes on monotone, expressionless dirge. It's really annoying as i really have very little time to read, but get through a lot of audiobooks in the car. I really want to listen to this but it's unlistenable.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:31   #247
Guest 22809
Gamertag : TomPudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
i got the audiobook of book 1 read by Roy Dotrice.

Roy Dotrice is a ****. I gave up after 30 minutes on monotone, expressionless dirge. It's really annoying as i really have very little time to read, but get through a lot of audiobooks in the car. I really want to listen to this but it's unlistenable.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I thought he was fantastic, particularly at using different identifiable voices for all the characters. Such a shame he couldn't do A Feast for Crows.

In other news HBO are making a pilot for A Game of Thrones
Guest 22809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:45   #248
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post

It should work really well if it is picked up and they commit to their original plan of one series per book. As they say in the report, the fact that most of the big action scenes happen 'off screen' in the books makes it a perfect contender to be filmed for TV, as it shouldn't be too expensive.

I will certainly be intrigued when news of casting for the pilot eventually comes out.

Last edited by Art Vanderlay; 12-11-2008 at 09:46.
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:50   #249
roddy
Trusted User

Excellent news.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56   #250
Guest 24292
My mind is scrambled!

Ditto, Any reason is holding GRRM's new installments in this series? It's been too long for next one to come out.
Guest 24292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:59   #251
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Best news I've heard recently very excited about this.

Theoretically, the show shouldn't be all that expensive, at least not for the first season. Most scenes take place in forests, castles, fields or villages and there wouldn't be the need for many special effects outside of King's Landing.

Saying that, though, Deadwood was filmed almost entirely on the one backlot set and that broke the bank, didn't it?
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:40   #252
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

I wonder if the Army of Darkness 'castle' that was also used heavily in Xena and Hercules to represent any number of walled towns and castles is still kicking about on a backlot somewhere .
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 13:30   #253
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

I've just started book 2 and have both parts of book 3 waiting for me. I have to say I enjoyed book 1 a lot though I accept LCD-Killer's comments above. Certainly the style of it can be a bit pondersome at times, especially the sections with Danyerys. I think my main feeling at the end was that I couldn't see where it was going at all, which is both good a bit lacking. I guess I'm not used to a fantasy series that isn't apparently following the classic Tolkien quest where the end point is clearly flagged from day one.

I am still a little confused about the whole 'winter/summer' thing, obviously trying to make sense of how that would happen with my scientific outlook.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 17:15   #254
Brunodog
At the end of my tether!

I am on the fourth book in the series right now.
I also picked it up after the recomendations from this thread. I am really enjoying it, I have not read any fantasy novels for a long time and have been impressed with the lack of outright fantasy cliches such as goblins, elfs etc. The fantasy element is integral but not overdone.
I think the characters stand up well, and over the books have developed well. I have found Tyrion, Daenerys and Clegane The dog the most interesting.
As LCD Killer mentions the plot itself isnt gripping immediately but it does seem to develop albeit at a slow pace, but this makes it all the more enjoyable for me.
Thrilled to hear they may be turning it into a series as some of the characters would be great to see in the flesh e.g. Stron Belwas and would really give actors some big roles to play.
Brunodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:55   #255
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...

Sorry its not released yet although I have pre-ordered with Amazon for April!

Got a holiday coming up in Feb and no books to take with me. Can anyone recommend some other books similar in style to both this and Joe Abercrombies stuff, preferably available in paperback?
Old 06-01-2009, 13:14   #256
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

I am only maybe a third through Book III part 1, so I have a hope that the next book will be out by the time I finish the fourth! I'm also looking forward to reading through this thread. Right now I'm too scared of an accidental spoiler.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 13:27   #257
Inanimate Carbon Rod
oh dear

Quote:
Sorry its not released yet although I have pre-ordered with Amazon for April!

Got a holiday coming up in Feb and no books to take with me. Can anyone recommend some other books similar in style to both this and Joe Abercrombies stuff, preferably available in paperback?
If you're looking for something on a similar scale of epicness (eg. various threads of narrative, following lots of vastly different characters) then i'd recommend 'Gardens of the Moon' by Steven Erikson, the first book in the Malazan book of the Fallen series. It's a tough read though, and really asks quite alot from the reader as it gives nothing up for free. Almost all the character history, fantasy elements, and back story are drip fed throughout the book, so to begin with it can be abit confusing trying to understand what the hell everyones doing/talking about.

However, by about a third of the way through it really picks up and is a fantastic read with a satisfying ending.

If you're just looking for decent fantasy then The Lies of Locke Lamora is a good read. Personally, i also really enjoyed the Farseer Trilogy followed by the Tawnyman Trilogy by Robin Hobb, although they're abit 'nicer' in some ways than ASOIAF as the author isn't as ruthless with the characters as George RR Martin often is.

Alot of people have also recommended the Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan to me. I was actually given them as a gift over xmas but have yet to read them. Might be worth a look though.
Old 06-01-2009, 13:33   #258
roddy
Trusted User

Quote:
Maybe some of GRRM's other stuff if you can find it - I enjoyed Windhaven (anyone else read it? Would love to see more stories set there, although only AFTER you've finished ASOIAF, Mr. Martin) and Fevre Dream. Both quite different in setting though, so maybe read up about them in advance. Similarly his short stories - Sandkings, A Song for Lya, Portraits of his Children are all award-winners.
Old 06-01-2009, 20:51   #259
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Try out the Black company books by Glen Cook also.

If you dont want to get too heavy with the Malazan Books of the fallen straigth off (I LOVE them) try out the ones by Ian Cameron Esslemont , he 'co-invented' the world and his books are easier to read (though you will benefit some by having read the others).

If you havnt read David Gemmell get the Druss books, there pretty good.

Also Raymond E Feist books are pretty tasty though well read thesedays.
Old 06-01-2009, 21:40   #260
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
Alot of people have also recommended the Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan to me. I was actually given them as a gift over xmas but have yet to read them. Might be worth a look though.
Found these to be fairly "meh" to be honest. GRRM himself recommended Tom Lloyd's Twilight Reign series - I've bought book 1 but not got round to reading it yet. It runs to 5 books so I'll wait till they're all done, as they are supposedly as gripping and gritty as ASoIaF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Lloyd

Also got given Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy for Christmas (after recommendations on here) so am saving those to read on a beach in a couple of weeks
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote