Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 08-07-2011, 14:44   #921
riz1
Trusted User

Yep followed by plenty of requests for clarification of this that or the other from people who have read the books......but no book spoilers you understand....sheesh!
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 15:08   #922
Guest 4466
Out of the water

Of course requests for clarification should continue, and people are smart enough to not spoil future things when talking about what's already happened.

The point is that we have two threads here for discussion the show, one explicitly spoiler-free and one explicitly full of book spoilers. Since there's no particular reason to use this thread for casting news, why not use the other one? Sheesh indeed.

I'm generally spoiler-phobic but in this case have read the second book so I'm not fussed. Others have already indicated they want this thread to err on the side of spoiler-free. Nobody loses out by moving discussion to the other thread.

I'm not trying to start an argument but give a friendly reminder that there are two threads for just this purpose.
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:04   #923
Shingster
Trusted User

There aren't two threads for all the people who have started reading the series since season 1 began and are now currently in between books, the other thread is only useful to people who have read ALL of the books! It was set up mostly for people who have read all of the books to discuss how changes made by the show might affect future plotlines, but because it exists all the anti-spoiler nazis - who seem to care more about the avoidance of spoilers than actually watching the damn show - took that as an indication that we should never mention the books in any way in this thread.

Last edited by Shingster; 08-07-2011 at 17:05.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:49   #924
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Why cant potential spoiler information based on where we are now on the TV series - not going into spoilerific details based on knowledge from later books - just be spoilerised here with a short sentence beforehand to tell people vaguely what potential spoiler info is contained - in this case casting for season 2.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:41   #925
James45
Trusted User

just finished this, good god, what an amazing piece of television, hurry up and make s2!
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29   #926
Guest 4466
Out of the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
There aren't two threads for all the people who have started reading the series since season 1 began and are now currently in between books, the other thread is only useful to people who have read ALL of the books! It was set up mostly for people who have read all of the books to discuss how changes made by the show might affect future plotlines, but because it exists all the anti-spoiler nazis - who seem to care more about the avoidance of spoilers than actually watching the damn show - took that as an indication that we should never mention the books in any way in this thread.
Despite appearances, I don't care enough about this to continue an argument -- it was just a suggestion to help out those who want to avoid spoilers. It doesn't affect me so I'll drop it.

I will say though that one can care very much about the avoidance of spoilers while still watching (and enjoying) the show, and with other programmes I steadfastly avoid trailers and other spoilers. I don't really see how one's efforts to avoid them could come at the expense of enjoying the show.
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:30   #927
Shingster
Trusted User

I only meant that some of the posters on here exhibit more zeal in chasing down any hint of book talk than they show towards the show. Ironically most the whingers are people who have read the books!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:29   #928
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

I would imagine that this is because people who have read the books are fully aware that the massive twists in them are things that people who have no intention of reading the books wouldn't want spoiled.
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49   #929
Shingster
Trusted User

Really? There are twists in this multi-novel fantasy? Song of Fire & Ice is magnificently original isn't it!
Old 11-07-2011, 13:01   #930
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Not a bad response to a reasonable point, I thought. Good effort. Perhaps you can try and address it fully when you get home from school this afternoon.
Old 11-07-2011, 13:31   #931
avid fan
Trusted User

Is all this huff just because I mentioned about casting for season 2??

As I understand it, there’s a tv thread and a book thread. Given that the casting is for the TV series, and we’re at the end of season 1, it seemed appropriate (to me at least) to mention it in the TV thread!?

I accept that if there were points relating to future storylines etc then they should be spoilered, but just the mention of the casting for a future character has no impact whatsoever – it’s hardly like there’s been any mention of the character’s role or how other characters are impacted.

I assume these people don’t watch the beginning of the show, when it mentions the actors who will be appearing in the episode?? – would it be a spoiler if it says “Starring Dinklage as Tyrion”???

Apologies if anyone’s reading pleasure was ruined – maybe I’ve misread the situation entirely, but seems like there are a few overly ‘precious’ folks on here.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 16:02   #932
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyrob View Post
Not a bad response to a reasonable point, I thought. Good effort. Perhaps you can try and address it fully when you get home from school this afternoon.
And my sarcasm was reasonable considering the sheer obtuseness of that comment. Every story as epic as Song of Fire and Ice has major twists and turns, so it's a rather silly excuse for being a pedantic tit with regards to references to the books. You should credit the TV viewers with the intelligence to know what is a significant spoiler or not.
Old 11-07-2011, 16:06   #933
SIMON ADEBISI

Get a room lads.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 16:50   #934
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
And my sarcasm was reasonable considering the sheer obtuseness of that comment. Every story as epic as Song of Fire and Ice has major twists and turns, so it's a rather silly excuse for being a pedantic tit with regards to references to the books. You should credit the TV viewers with the intelligence to know what is a significant spoiler or not.
It strikes me that you like to go out of your way to be as hyperbolic and defensive as possible in any post you feel you're being attacked (whether true or not). Perhaps stepping back and taking a breath may help before hitting the submit button and making personal insults.

You'll notice that in other popular shows, a new thread is created per series. Doctor Who, for example. There are some people who prefer to know nothing about a new series - but they don't have a choice in this thread.

I'd suggest starting a GoT series 2 thread and then people have the choice of going into it or otherwise. Since this thread is not far off the 1000 post mark, I'll do it for you. That wasn't so hard now, was it?
Old 11-07-2011, 17:01   #935
Shingster
Trusted User

Actually sparky, it was you who started with the personal insults this time (I started with just sarcasm), but I agree this argument is done and a series 2 thread is probably the best place for future s2 casting talk.
Old 14-07-2011, 14:03   #936
avid fan
Trusted User

Good to see this is up for the Best Drama Emmy
Old 14-07-2011, 14:12   #937
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

13 nods by the looks

http://www.emmys.com/shows/game-thrones

only Dinklage for acting though. Shocking.
Old 14-07-2011, 14:21   #938
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
13 nods by the looks

At least it's up for the prestigious 'outstanding hairstyling' award

I'd assumed there'd be an award for best ensemble or something. At least that great title sequence is up too.
Old 14-07-2011, 21:42   #939
Shingster
Trusted User

Which is particularly ironic when you consider a major plot point of s1 was predicated on certain characters having "black of hair" when they actually all had ******* brown hair!

Last edited by Shingster; 14-07-2011 at 21:43.
Old 15-07-2011, 05:33   #940
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
13 nods by the looks

The thing is its hard to define who was a lead and who was a supporting actor in this show, so can understand why there is a lack of nominations for this in the acting category. Saying that well deserved singled out praise for Dinklage, who managed to steel every scene he was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
I'd assumed there'd be an award for best ensemble or something. At least that great title sequence is up too.
There is (sort of), and it is nominated:
Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series - 2011

If there is any justice they will win this one.
new is offline   Reply With Quote