Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 14-03-2005, 13:04   #1
Guest 1956
Captain

Wilbur Smith - Which one next?

I have now read Monsoon and Eagle In The Sky and really enjoyed both. In fact, I don't think I ever thought that reading a book can be so addictive. I now know what they mean when people say that they could not put a book down.

Anyways, which Wilbur Smith book would you recommend I go for next? which is your favourite and why?

oh, and anybody else want to go visit Africa after reading his books?
Guest 1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 14:12   #2
wilco121
there is no spoon

eagle in the sky; I finished that last week - top book.

my fave wilbur's are as follows

*River God(awesome, ancient eygpt account of a slave- his best work by far IMO)
* you will then need to follow this by The Seventh Scroll & Warlock to complete the egyptian series.

* Hungry as the Sea. similiar style to eagle in the sky. brilliant book
* The Sunbird - quite river god-esque a classic treasure hunt with characters then mirrored in part 2 of the book, in ancient times.
* Eye of the Tiger - a bit rougher than his usual adventure tales - but brilliant

currently struggling on gold mine & got guzzumped on cry wolf / wild justice. i find that with wilbur smith - you can either love or struggle with his books! given the above 'loves' of mine- appreciate joining ShyBoy in Wilbur recommendations

Last edited by wilco121; 14-03-2005 at 14:19.
wilco121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 11:10   #3
Guest 1956
Captain

Thanks wilco121. I have River God in front of me as we speak. I cant wait to read it. I have now asked my wife (who sometimes frequents those second hand book stores) to buy me any/all Wilbur Smith books she sees.

Just out of interest, what other authors do you also like?
Guest 1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 12:57   #4

I tried one Wilbur Smith (set in the Congo) and didn't really get on with it. If you want a very similar (but IMHO better) author then look no further than Desmond Bagley. The Golden Keel is particularly good as is High Citadel, the Tightrope men and . The Vivero Letter

(I could only find the last one stocked in Amazon for some reason.)
Old 15-03-2005, 13:00   #5
d80s0q
Godfather

River God is a truly superb book - so touching. The seventh scroll is far more fun though

Haven't yet read Warlock, nor any of the African novels...

d80s0q
d80s0q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 17:04   #6
wilco121
there is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyBoy
Thanks wilco121. I have River God in front of me as we speak. I cant wait to read it. I have now asked my wife (who sometimes frequents those second hand book stores) to buy me any/all Wilbur Smith books she sees.

Just out of interest, what other authors do you also like?
a very moving book. get started! most wilburs i listed are on amazon, 2nd hand for 1p + p&P

other favourite authors include john case, lincoln preston, alex garland (the beach only), some michael crichtons. oh and recently have enjoyed the dan browns.

Last edited by wilco121; 15-03-2005 at 17:05.
Old 16-03-2005, 12:21   #7
Guest 19693
Trusted User

I have just read the first in the Courtney's series When the Lion Feeds and I enjoyed it more than River God.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/au...lbur_Smith.htm
I am going to continue with the series.
Guest 19693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 21:30   #8
Guest 2978
maubp rhymes with daub

River God series was very enjoyable. But then I like WS and historical settings.

I was introduced to these as a lad, and seem to recall his first three novels (which I read first, "When the Lion Feeds" (1964), "The Sound of Thunder" (1966) and "A Sparrow Falls" (1977)) were ritten in a much heavier/formal style, but still very much worth the effort.

Either I got used to him, or he has adapted to a lighter style suitable for the mass market. Really must re-read his early stuff one day... and Rider Haggard too - time to raid my Dad's library next time I visit

Last edited by maubp; 27-03-2005 at 19:08.
Guest 2978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:49   #9
warney
Trusted User

I read River God purely by accident, actually a mate bought it for me for Christmas one year. I absolutely loved it, I was engrosed in the characters especially Taita (?). I then read the Seventh Scroll and have just bought The Warlock to finish it off. I do hope he writes another book on Egypt. Pure magic.
warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 15:44   #10
wilco121
there is no spoon

can add Birds Of Prey to the list of highly recommended wilburs. un-knowingly have come into the middle of the courteney series; a set of books which never seemed to appeal - but glad i now got started. this one actually a prequel to other courtneys and is set in the 17th century in the war between english & dutch. half way through and can't put it down

Last edited by wilco121; 08-04-2005 at 15:45.