Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 11:31   #1
Barney_Tabasco
'My Two Dads' changed me

Iain Banks has terminal cancer

Sad news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22015175
Barney_Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34   #2
SIMON ADEBISI

Ah man, thats horrible news.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46   #3
Sprout Crumble
They're starting 2 shimmy

Very sad. Fantastic sci-fi writer.
Sprout Crumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:40   #4
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Aww crap. That's awful to hear
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:46   #5
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I've had personal experience of said condition recently, to the extent he has it, and unfortunately he will likely just have weeks left. Incredibly cruel, evil disease.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 13:26   #6
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout Crumble View Post
Very sad. Fantastic sci-fi writer.
Fantastic writer. Period.

Very sad indeed. Haven't read anything of his for a while, but I love his early stuff.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:10   #7
mikef
Trusted User

Terrible and sad news...
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 15:39   #8
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Re: Iain Banks has terminal cancer

Extremely sad news. Herbert was a hero of my past, but Banks is a legend of my present - by far my favourite fiction author.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 15:57   #9
avid fan
Trusted User

This is a real, real shame - absolutely loved his culture novels, they took sci-fi into a whole new scale of 'epic-ness', and I was just in the process of catching up on them after taking a break from his recent stories. Really sad.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 16:50   #10
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

Very sad news

I've loved his work since I got a copy of his short story collection free with a magazine, his Sci-fi had a huge universe full of some of the best characters/stories I've read, and his non sci-fi stuff was sometimes odd, but very good.

It seems a bad time for Sci-fi and Fantasy authors, as a fair few of the best have either passed away recently (last year or tow), or are in poor health.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:22   #11
Gedalia
Space Monkey

I can't believe this! That is terrible. He is without a doubt my favourite sci-fi author. I devour every one of his Iain "M" Banks books.

Humanity is going to be losing a great asset, and I feel for him and his family.
Gedalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 18:32   #12
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

That's a damn shame. He was two of my favorite authors.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:48   #13
eye__writ
Trusted User

I hate stories like this. He went to the doctor with a sore back and came out with the news he had cancer?! That's my hypochondria stoked up for a few weeks.

Never read any of his stuff, although I always intended to. Saw him in interviews and the like though and seems a very decent chap, so I'm sorry to hear this news.
Old 03-04-2013, 20:36   #14
LouBarlow
Retired Member

As I mentioned before it is truly a indiscriminate disease. You can have all the money or power in the world and it can still take you.

It's a personal and still raw issue for me at the moment, but when you are with someone who dies from this disease at the end, it does change you. Seeing a person who would never hurt a fly suffer such indignities really does change your whole outlook on life.

When you see children being treated for it, it hammers the point home even more. Although 59 is no age at least he has had a life.

Cancer is a **** and no mistake.
Old 03-04-2013, 22:19   #15
SIMON ADEBISI

Sorry for your loss Lou.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 23:07   #16
richie-t
Dick Stallion

Re: Iain Banks has terminal cancer

Cancer is an absolute ****. My friend plays hockey with a girl called Kate. Kate went in for a routine op to do with her abdomen and a scan revealed a tumour on her ovary. This was December 2012. She started chemo in Feb of this year and died 3 weeks ago. I met her last year at my friends party and she was only 28 years old when she passed away.

If you're 80 years old, I could take it on the chin. But such young ages is so sad. 60 is far too young too.

You have my thoughts Lou.
richie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17   #17
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Cheers guys
Old 04-04-2013, 06:32   #18
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Terrible news for him personally (and his family) an the world of literature too. The worlds best scifi writer.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46   #19
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
It's a personal and still raw issue for me at the moment, but when you are with someone who dies from this disease at the end, it does change you. Seeing a person who would never hurt a fly suffer such indignities really does change your whole outlook on life.
I lost my Dad last September. It wasn't cancer, he had heart and kidney failure. He was originally supposed to have months to live but battled on for four years in the end. There always seemed to be another milestone he'd reach for particularly with the grandchildren, next birthday, Christmas, etc, and he was amazingly strong, but we all watched him struggle more and more as he lost his mobility, independence, and over time his dignity. My wife and I were there at the end, and he seemed aware of us and I hoped it helped him, but it for us it horrendous as we literally saw the brightness and sparkle leave his eyes as he gradually slipped away.

I was strangely relieved initially when he passed, somewhat detached from it all, but weeks after it all hit me. I have to wear a mask for the sake of the children, but I was a mess on my birthday in October, I was selfishly resentful of everyone else having fun at Christmas, and my daughter was 21 at the weekend and all I could think of was who wasn't there. I've lost people before, including my Mom, but this has been unbearable. I'm can't shake the sense of loss, I'm not sleeping, and I cannot count the number of stupid, small things in a day seem to link back to my Dad, jerking me back to thoughts of him if I happen to dare forget for a time. A different disease, but it has changed my life too, and not at all in a good or positive way. My thoughts are with you Lou.

Sorry for the irrelevant and very personal rant. Perhaps I have thoughts I need to air to someone, or I'm just a nut job, who knows?

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 04-04-2013 at 08:47.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12   #20
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I lost my Dad last September. It wasn't cancer, he had heart and kidney failure. He was originally supposed to have months to live but battled on for four years in the end. There always seemed to be another milestone he'd reach for particularly with the grandchildren, next birthday, Christmas, etc, and he was amazingly strong, but we all watched him struggle more and more as he lost his mobility, independence, and over time his dignity. My wife and I were there at the end, and he seemed aware of us and I hoped it helped him, but it for us it horrendous as we literally saw the brightness and sparkle leave his eyes as he gradually slipped away.

I was strangely relieved initially when he passed, somewhat detached from it all, but weeks after it all hit me. I have to wear a mask for the sake of the children, but I was a mess on my birthday in October, I was selfishly resentful of everyone else having fun at Christmas, and my daughter was 21 at the weekend and all I could think of was who wasn't there. I've lost people before, including my Mom, but this has been unbearable. I'm can't shake the sense of loss, I'm not sleeping, and I cannot count the number of stupid, small things in a day seem to link back to my Dad, jerking me back to thoughts of him if I happen to dare forget for a time. A different disease, but it has changed my life too, and not at all in a good or positive way. My thoughts are with you Lou.

Sorry for the irrelevant and very personal rant. Perhaps I have thoughts I need to air to someone, or I'm just a nut job, who knows?
Your experience sounds VERY similar to my own. Like you, I was initially relieved in a way, as it had dragged on for so long, and I hated having to go to work all day not knowing if they would be OK and what was going on. I also thought too that it brought an end to their suffering, but a little while on it does indeed strike you, that the person is gone, and they are going to miss out on seeing people around them grow up etc.

As I said, a little piece of you dies I think, at the same time. Annnnnyway, this is all for another thread. You have my sympathies.